iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My First Smoked Roast

Started by K-Guy, November 05, 2019, 10:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Guy

This weekend I smoked a chuck roast for the first time on my gas grill. It turned out pretty good and I see a smoker in my future now. 

Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

tule peak timber

What temps-what wood ? Looks good ! :)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

K-Guy

It was cold yesterday so I kept it between 180-200°F for about 3 hours using hickory wood chips for flavor and then 1 hour at 350°F in a covered pan to finish. I'm using it for sliced beef sandwiches. They are roast, caramelized onions, and swiss cheese on a toasted onion bun with mayo.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

tule peak timber

K-Guy

Our go to meat seasoning is Goya Adobo with pepper. Since I know what it does to the meat I just used it so I could tell if I liked the smoke flavor.
Nyle Service Dept.
- D. Adams

tule peak timber

If you smoke chickens or fish, let me know and I will shoot you out a box of alder. We do a simple brine recipe, then smoke---- :)

Raider Bill

Quote from: K-Guy on November 05, 2019, 01:21:13 PM
Our go to meat seasoning is Goya Adobo with pepper. Since I know what it does to the meat I just used it so I could tell if I liked the smoke flavor.
That is also my #1 seasoning.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

K-Guy

Thanks Tule Peak!!

Raider. It simply works with everything and doesn't overpower the taste but complements it. 

Next I think I'll do more of a savory rub (thyme, rosemary, etc.) and let it sit in the fridge a couple days with it on first using either beef/ hickory or pork/ applewood.
Nyle Service Dept.
- D. Adams

Raider Bill

PM me your email and I'll send you my rub recipes in a word doc. I have several.

Smoking opens up a whole new cooking style not to mention another  excuse to sit around and watch food cook.

tule peak timber

Anyone else on this thread can PM me with mailing address and I will send some alder.

olcowhand

Quote from: Raider Bill on November 05, 2019, 04:27:53 PM
PM me your email and I'll send you my rub recipes in a word doc. I have several.

Smoking opens up a whole new cooking style not to mention another  excuse to sit around and watch food cook.
By "Watch", I hope you mean gaze at the trickle of smoke coming out of the stack- because with a Smoker: "If you're lookin', it ain't cookin'".....
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Nebraska

Making me hungry just looking through this thread this morning. :)  Anyone ever try smoking  any cheese?

Raider Bill

I have. Cobbled up a "cold" smoker for the top of my Cook Shack smoker. Also tried smoking nuts.
Decided after a couple attempts I didn't like smoked cheese.
It did work great cold smoking steaks.

K-Guy

I've been taking it slow to see doing light smoke to start to see how I and my family like it. I had a guy I worked with years ago who smoked so heavily that it was all you tasted. I don't want to make that mistake. I bought an injector but it is too big and a lot of the injection just leaks out. I'd like to find one with different size needles so I can use the right size for each meat ie the one I have makes injecting chicken legs impossible.
Nyle Service Dept.
- D. Adams

Raider Bill

Many put too much smoke on the meat. My rule of thumb is once the outside meat ring reaches about 160 degrees you really don't need any more smoke.

Type of wood also makes a difference. I sent you a smoking wood list to look at in the email.

K-Guy

Thanks Bill
I got the email but I won't be able to look at it till tonight. 

Yeah, too much smoke makes it seem like you're eating charcoal. ;D
Nyle Service Dept.
- D. Adams

Weekend_Sawyer

When I am doing a long smoke I foil at 140 degrees. ( Internal Temp)
Pull off the grill at 205 ~210 wrap in towels and let it sit in a cooler for up to 3 hours and it will still be too hot to touch.

I use 3 layers of foil so we don't loose our precious juices! 

One mistake I made when I was starting out was using green wood.
Sap is not your friend.
Good dry hickory or red oak is my absolute go to wood.

If you have any leftover juice, pour it over rice, wow, that's good!

I have some leftover pork in the fridge for dinner tonight.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: Raider Bill on November 06, 2019, 07:44:51 AM

Decided after a couple attempts I didn't like smoked cheese.
Bill, the trick to smoked cheese is after you smoke it, wrap it in cling rap and put it in the fridge for 4 days. Then try it. It mellows out.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

K-Guy

@Raider Bill 
I've given your information to several people here at Nyle. Hopefully I'll have some feedback for you.

Many are done with smoking now that the cold weather has hit here. It swings quite a bit here at times making temp control difficult.

I have to hold off as my better half isn't a smoked meat fan but I plan on doing another one in the next few weeks.
Nyle Service Dept.
- D. Adams

Raider Bill

Great I hope they enjoy the info!

K-Guy

So I was left to my devices Saturday night as the wife was out with my son for supper and a show. In the morning I was in the grocery store and spied the Johnsonville brats on sale. So supper was hickory smoked brats withe fried potatoes.

Nyle Service Dept.
- D. Adams

Chuck White

Now, that'll make a meal!  digin_2
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

olcowhand

Quote from: K-Guy on November 25, 2019, 09:03:26 AM
So I was left to my devices Saturday night as the wife was out with my son for supper and a show. In the morning I was in the grocery store and spied the Johnsonville brats on sale. So supper was hickory smoked brats withe fried potatoes.

I'll typically throw some brats in the smoker while I've got a long smoke going. Pull them out after about 45 minutes, and they're like a snack that is a foretelling of the flavor to come later.
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

K-Guy

Finally got warmer weather and a chance to get the smoker going this weekend. I made a marinade of Asian seasonings (shaoxing wine, soy sauce, orange juice, hoisin sauce, sesame oil and the usual powdered spices) two days before but after smoking it with hickory wood it tasted really good but not Asian. Added to this. I forgot to say that this was a small sirloin roast.

Nyle Service Dept.
- D. Adams

Raider Bill

Tender?
How long and what temp?

Thank You Sponsors!