iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daughter’s tiny house

Started by shinnlinger, July 30, 2020, 08:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

My daughter and I have been working on a tiny house this summer and progress has been slow but a great experience thus far   My daughter is running my sawmill too and milling her own boards   The plan is to run a second course of 1x boards over the subfloor   Would a layer of tarpaper or rosin paper between the layers be a good idea?    I'm planning on spray foam insulation underneath later and I don't want to trap moisture.  

You 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Texas Ranger

Builders felt between the layers on the floor will help prevent squeaks.  Are you insulating the floor?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

shinnlinger

Spray foam is the plan.    I have rolls of tarpaper in the barn.   I am concerned about trapping moisture though.  The whole thing is 12x 22 though so I won't need to buy a lot of something else.  

Dave
Shinnlinger

WV Sawmiller

I can't imagine better quality time with your daughter. No doubt it is something you will bother remember the rest of your lives.

Are you building with green lumber right off the mill or are you air or Kiln drying it first?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Iwawoodwork

I have used tarpaper under roofs and a few sub floors and had no problems.

pineywoods

more pics please. I will be following this thread closely. Gettin ready to start on one for my daughter-in-law. She will probably be running my mill also. 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

farmfromkansas

I took up a oak floor one time that had felt under it.  There was no damage to either layer of flooring.  The customers just wanted a marble floor in that room.  We did a remodel, and they wanted a huge bathroom.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

thecfarm

I am here. Keep up dates coming!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shinnlinger

So I found this on the side of the road yesterday.  Foil house wrap?   Very thin.  I might just lay this overlapped between the floor and walls as well.  This roll is very heavy and probably 10 tiny houses worth of wrap.   

Shinnlinger

doc henderson

Nice find.  I bet you can google the brand and find all the specs and recommended installation info.  good for you and your daughter.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Hilltop366

Ljohnsaw

I used that foil on the underside of my rafters and it dropped the attic temp 10 to 15°!  You can also lay it on top of the attic insulation and it keeps the upper floor much cooler.  It could be put under the finish floor and would keep heat from radiating down in the winter.  Probably a pretty good moisture barrier as well.  Hold it up to the sun and see if it is perforated or not.  That stuff is expensive.  I had to use 3 rolls of 4' x 150' to do my attic.  I want to say it was somewhere in the $75-100 per roll.  Did that 10 years ago.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

shinnlinger

I think I will run a pipe thru it and set the roll on two sawhorses and rig it like a big tp dispenser and line all the interior with it.  Under the finished floor and tack it too the inside of the studs and rafters before drywall or whatever we do. It does not appear to be perforated but I haven't done the light test yet.     

Just so it's clear, it was on the side of the road with a free sign on it.   The previous owner and two buddies came over and loaded it in my truck.   It is very heavy.  

Dave
Shinnlinger

shinnlinger

So I had a plank side construction in mind, but think a double wall construction will be more appropriate.  I'm thinking of slicing a 2x6 in half (or just make 2x3s) on the mill and setting them in a yet to be made jig and tacking the two studs together either 8 or 10" apart.  And basically making studs that way.   Anyone have any pointers there?
Shinnlinger

shinnlinger

Here is what we came up with for prebuilt double studs.

Shinnlinger

Remle

I presume you will be using board and batten siding ? I have thought about a shed I am going to build. I'm thinking using a more standard approach. Build a 4" wall as normal, with 2' between the studs and run your purl-ins on the out side for the siding. Wire as needed and insulate with 6" of fiberglass, this should save some room inside. Don't mean your way isn't good, but space inside is a premium.

mike_belben

Maybe a year ago i was studying vapor barrier do's and dont's.. if you want airtight it can get complicated by the specific product, to get it without causing mold.  Leaky lasts because it breathes.  Some insulations and foams are permeable and others are not.

Few standout bullets from memory that may help someone:

1.  Moisture only travels from wet to dry

2.  Heat only travels from hot to cold

3.  Moisture hitches a ride with heat loss leakage and gets into the darndest places.

4.  If that moisture cannot dry it causes microbial and fungal action that returns wood to the dust from whence it came

5. Weather doesnt sit still.  Seasonal temp, humidity and dewpoint issues can make these flows and moisture buildups and condensations reverse directions throughout the year.

6. It is easy to wreck a house with vapor barrier done wrong.  With vapor barrier omitted you cant get it wrong, youll just need to heat or cool more.  And thus the dwellings moisture content will always be in a state of rise and fall which wont likely harm it.

If your wood is green it will need to dry to atleast one side.  If the underside sprayfoam is moisture impermeable, the rough flooring will have to dry to the interior.  If the tarpaper prevents this, which i suspect it will, you will trap moisture in the rough planks.

If you enclose the crawlspace and do not heat it but do vent it, the dewpoint will cause morning condensate under the structure that grows trouble.  If the spray foam is permiable this condensate will also want to go into the wood framing.

I believe the suggestion of felt is a better one. Look at the permeability rating of all products.  

At a glance that roll you found, to me, is probably more about solar reflectivity than about R value.  Look at the MFR specs and recommended useage. It may be a mistake in the floor.

Increasing efficiency through thicker walls, better window glazing, more mass and solar gaining layouts etc is great.   eliminating permeability really, really has to be done right.  What was considered right in 1980 is a disaster today.  Meanwhile 200yr old leaky uninsulated farmhouses still stand.  Moisture management is critical.

Praise The Lord

Bruno of NH

Dave,
20 years ago you could buy an engineered stud on the idea off the one you made.
Framed a house with them they came out of Canada. 
If I remember right we insulated with dense packed cellulose insulation. Reinforced poly stapled over the framing blown in a hole at the top of the bay them tuck taped over the whole.
Red vapor seal tape.
Looks good my friend
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

doc henderson

how bout a few more pics of the ongoing construction?  looks like lots of innovative ideas.   8)   :P   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

shinnlinger

My daughter is 17 so she got distracted for a bit with staring at her phone, but yesterday we got the back wall up and I think that might have reinvigorated her a bit   

©
Shinnlinger

Stephen1

Distracted at 17, sounds a bit normal. It's looking good. A good chance you will get it closed in before winter.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

shinnlinger

Now that volleyball is over we are back at it.  

Shinnlinger

samandothers

Glad yall are proceeding!  Starting to look more and more like a house!

shinnlinger

It was pointed out many times this summer by her mother and I that she might want to be a little more active on her house if she wanted a roof by winter, and now that it mid November,  I think she realizes we were right, but she is starting to get excited and has become more and more intuitive and independent in her work around the mill and times  I'm not around.  Shes the one that pushed for the work lights and to keep going into the evening.   She is coming into her own and figuring out some of life's lessons on procrastination but also the value of work which has been beyond priceless.   As her time in high school is coming to a close this has been a fantastic project.  

Dave
Shinnlinger

dougtrr2

That is a great father/daughter project.  Is this going to be her home when she graduates?  What are the dimensions/square footage?  I would love to see some overall pictures of the the building site.  It looks like there is quite a bit of cantilever to the site.  Is it offering some special views?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Doug in SW IA

shinnlinger

Made some good progress over break with my daughter and I have to say this has been a great experience.  The footprint is 13x22. Siding will be angled 1x10 boards for shear with 4"batts.   The  roof decking will probably be a pile of used T-111 I have kicking around.  I will have to take some pics of the view.  It overlooks a tiny pond, garden and barn.  

Shinnlinger

Don P

Too late for this but for future knowledge;

QuoteStuds shall be continuous from support at the sole plate to a support at the top plate to resist loads perpendicular to the wall. The support shall be a foundation or floor, ceiling or roof diaphragm or shall be designed according to accepted engineering practice.

shinnlinger

I appreciate it this.  20-20 hindsight would have changed a few things, including this, but there will be a cap/loft on a fair bit of it which will tie the front wall to the back in much the same way.Also the exterior sheathing will tie it all together.   Based on your feedback here, I will make more connections in a more meaningful way than I otherwise would have.  

Thanks. 

Dave
Shinnlinger

Don P

I was going to suggest a "plant shelf" to act as a built up beam, the loft will do a better job of that. I like the scallop on the tails

shinnlinger

Plant beam has a nice ring to it though.  I asked her if she wanted to do a detail on the end and at first she wasn't that interested but then really got into it.  She cut them all herself with a jigsaw.  I wish I took a picture of that.  
Shinnlinger

SwampDonkey

I'm here to. ;D Like others have said, these quality times will be remembered. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bruno of NH

Looks good Dave
Your daughter will always remember this quality time.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

red

You mean this Tiny House . . Doc ? 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Thank You Sponsors!