iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Have YOU had COVID-19?

Started by azmtnman, December 26, 2020, 10:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

azmtnman

Let's keep this thread about YOUR personal (and/or your spouse's) experience with the illness. 
  I had an UNCONFIRMED case.
  I was sick in mid-March. I'm kind of a recluse when it comes to "news," so I knew nothing about a new disease. After I was sick a couple days, others in my household (which included 3 25-year-olds) started talking about it. As I started checking into it, I had a lot of the symptoms except for the "dry cough." I had a terrible cough but I literally coughed up 2-3cups of phlegm a day! I had NO ENERGY! It was hard for me to walk from my office to the living room couch and that's only about 30' without any steps. A couple of days I slept about 15 hours a day. 
   I think it was Sunday, March 15th when I laid down on the couch. I stayed home from church that day because I always picked up a good friend who was 92 and I didn't want to be around him. (I didn't know anything about COVID-19 yet) By Tuesday, I was kind of concerned because I had been REALLY sick for that long. I'm the type that gets sick for a day or 2 and then, back at it! Friday morning, I felt "bubbling" in the bottom of my left lung and figured it had turned into pneumonia. I knew someone who refused medical attention for several days when he had pneumonia and it cost him his permanent health so I wanted to nip it in the bud. 
   I went to an urgent care clinic on that Friday morning. I got a chest x-ray and the doc told me I "didn't quite have pneumonia" but he didn't want to take any chances. He gave me an antibiotic and a couple cough medicines and said I had an "upper respiratory thing."
  After that, it was another couple days before I somewhat felt better. It was 2 weeks total before I was back up again but still not anywhere near full capacity. I still didn't think I had had it because of conflicting information. The other 4 in my household never got sick. I have my wife who just thought I had allergies coming on was always in close contact with me and 3 25yo--2 live in outlying cabins and one in the guest bedroom. They continued living as we always have being in the same house, eating at the table (which I wasn't doing because I didn't have an appetite.) We didn't start good sanitization measures until several days into it.
   Since then, I have had 2 close friends that have had CONFIRMED cases and were sick with it. Their experiences with the illness and post illness have matched my symptoms. 
  Ianab posted this:
Long-Term Effects of COVID-19 | CDC 
 9 months later, I am still dealing with long-term effects. I hope they'll pass and not be "chronic." I have about 60-75% of the energy I had before--that's on a good day. I have focus problems that earlier in the year I blamed on other things. I think that might be what they're calling "brain fog." 
  I'm 51, smoked cigarettes from the time I was 15 until I was about 49. I traded that for an e-cigarette. I'm 5'10' and 275 (250-260 for years. I gained 15-20 lbs. this year--that doesn't help anything!) So, yes, I'm too porky! I have high blood pressure and have been on meds for that for a couple years. Psychologically, I have, and have had, jobs that are high in PTSD. I don't like that label as it is used for people who have had real traumatic experiences. I prefer to think of mine as collective scar tissue.

That's my experience to date. What's yours? Have you found anything that helps with the long-term effects?
Matt
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

alan gage

I think this is a good thread idea. Everyone seems happy to talk about the virus in general but most seem to clam up about it when they get infected themselves, like it's something to be ashamed of. 

I may be recovering from it now. Last Saturday I was hanging out with the 8 year old boy I mentor. I knew right away he had a runny nose but didn't think much of it until I was taking him home and he commented his taste buds weren't working as he couldn't taste his lemonade. 

Forty eight hours later I started getting a scratchy throat and other cold symptoms. I was tired, achy, and had no ambition at all. Lost my taste and smell 36 hours later. Cough was very slight at first and then got kind of bad as the other symptoms were tapering off. It's been 6 days since I showed symptoms and feel pretty darn good. Still stuffy and a little slow but am up and doing things.

My covid test came back negative but symptoms matched well enough I'm suspicious it was wrong and will continue to quarantine, which isn't a punishment at all since I have a lot of projects to work on.

I'm 42 and in good health with no smoking history.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Onthesauk

We stay in the Las Vegas area for a couple of months during the winter.  Mid-March, when all this crap hit, I came down with a bad cold/cough.  When my fever went over 100 I emailed my oncologist about antibiotics.  He said "no, head for urgent care."  They checked me out, not a lot of the tests available at the time, but didn't think I had the corona.  Got a prescription for 10 days, cleared up the fever but had the cold/cough for a full 6-7 weeks after.  Always convinced I may have had the corona.

Early fall I got all my blood tests for a series of doctor visits.  Talked them into giving me the antibody test too.  Came back negative so no indication I ever had it.  Have to believe them, but...........

John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

mike_belben

My wifes got it right now.  Me and the kids are fine but i think i may have gone through it before all the hype.  

She tested positive, fever between 102 and 105, dead tired, little bit of breathing trouble and no taste or smell but says she feels improvement.  Its school vacation and we just got a tax return so its pretty easy to stay home right now without money worries, thank the Lord
Praise The Lord

olcowhand

I was due to fly to Dallas on business Oct 26th, but began feeling feverish with a headache on the 24th. I ultimately cancelled my trip and got tested that Monday and positive Test results came that Wednesday. Mild dry cough (almost Life-long smoker, but quit for good 7 years ago), no real fever but did experience chills and feeling hot; stayed pretty much to myself and nobody else in our house got it. Couldn't eat (I lost 12 pounds that nobody noticed...) with 3-4 days of no taste or smell and medium muscle aches.
No lingering effects. 4 of the seven people in our office caught it at the same time, with one still battling. He was on a ventilator and slipped into a coma. He's in PT now and we're praying for his recovery. It can certainly affect some folks severely.. 
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

azmtnman

Quote from: mike_belben on December 31, 2020, 01:11:00 AM
My wifes got it right now.  Me and the kids are fine but i think i may have gone through it before all the hype.  
She tested positive, fever between 102 and 105, dead tired, little bit of breathing trouble and no taste or smell but says she feels improvement.  Its school vacation and we just got a tax return so its pretty easy to stay home right now without money worries, thank the Lord
Hope she gets well quickly!
I didn't have a steady fever--never measured it. But I remember sitting on the couch freezing to death and an hour later uncovering just far enough not to gross everybody in the house out!  :D :D :D
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

SwampDonkey

I've not experienced it yet myself. But years ago I've had colds and congestion with no taste or smell. So that symptom, based on experience, isn't too reliable. I've even had one cold years back where I had taste but stuff tasted weird, so weird I'd puke. :D

No, I have been as careful as possible to avoid it and only go in a store when necessary, never dine out or go to any sports or music events.

I'll be getting the needle as quick as it can be stuck in me. Lucky no allergies to anything in the magic serum. Some folks may have allergies, not to the main 'stuff', but the other ingredients, so we are told. ;)

Play safe, and hopefully next January is a whole bunch better.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

I'll get it just as soon as my number comes up!

Been wondering though, who will be notifying everyone!

I have a local Doctor, but I also see a Doctor at the  VA Clinic, and have three health insurances!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

azmtnman

Here's an article from the Mayo Clinic:
COVID-19 (coronavirus): Long-term effects - Mayo Clinic
Here's one from Harvard Health:
What are the long-lasting effects of COVID-19? - Harvard Health

I think the only thing we can know for sure is some people will get it, some people won't. Effects range from being mildly sick for a week to dying and anything in between.

I was actually able to to more physical hard labor last week than I have in a long time. I'm hoping that trend continues.

azmtnman

A friend of ours who had COVID was talking about how her taste and smell is still screwed up 4 or 5 months after she recovered. She went on to be more specific and said she smells "infection" smell--like a smell from a badly infected wound?? I have a similar "affliction" but never attributed it to having had COVID. 
Has anyone else experienced that? Or any other weird lingering side effects?

mike_belben

Same for my wife.. Maybe 4, 5 months no smell or taste other than if something is very salty or sweet.. She cant distinguish say maple syrup from chocolate syrup.  

I will ask if she smells infection
Praise The Lord

DeerMeadowFarm

Myself or my spouse have NOT gotten COVID. 

Stephen1

Nothing here yet, for myself or the girlfriend. We see people all the time,  I take precautions, leave the shop door open when customers show up, I ask everyone to wear masks. I wear a face shield. 
I have covid beers with my buddies and neighbours, outside around the fire pit. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

azmtnman

Quote from: mike_belben on March 03, 2021, 06:23:53 AM
Same for my wife.. Maybe 4, 5 months no smell or taste other than if something is very salty or sweet.. She cant distinguish say maple syrup from chocolate syrup.  

I will ask if she smells infection
I haven't experienced anything like that! That's terrible but I would probably lose the weight I've gained in the last year!  :D :D :D I hope her smell and taste come back.
Good or bad, I can still smell or taste, just smell "ghost smells."

aigheadish

I'm convinced that most around me got it well before we, in the States, knew it was a thing. I work in a factory where we have many Chinese customers, some in Wuhan, and a decent handful of my staff started getting miserably sick around November 2019. Unexplained illness that lasted for a couple weeks where they didn't come to work, lots of complaints of cough, weekness, feverish, but it was before the virus was known to us. So, I think we either all got it or got exposed real early on. 

I'm a 43 year old smoker, who doesn't breathe very well already, but I don't think I ever got it. The wife was sick a couple weeks ago and her work forced her to quarantine until she had no symptoms for like 10 days. She did not get tested but is doing fine now. We didn't quarantine from each other and I've felt fine.

My sister and her husband both are coming off the tail end of it, they are ok. My best friend and his wife both had it in December, he forgot to tell me, but we've hung out trading germs via a sip of beer or something here and there, and again, no effect on me.

To the point of @alan gage it's sad but the first thing my sister said when I asked how she was doing is she said she "just feels so guilty!" I think it's very sad that somehow  a lot of people have been convinced that if they catch a bug, that we obviously don't understand so well, that they did something wrong. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

YellowHammer

I've had (has) it, my wife has (had) it, my two daughters have had it, and most people I know have had it.  In general, and for us, the best description is that it is something that you don't want, and its like the flu x 10, if you're lucky.  I'm on day 14 and it is just clearing up, my wife is still coughing.  We've had to close our business down for two weeks so have lost a ton of money, and we are lucky it wasn't worse, because we know folks who have had worse, and worse is bad.

If you want to see the details, check out the "Just the Facts" covid topic, and you can read how much fun we have had with it.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

lazyflee

Had it in July. Like a bad 3 week hangover for me. headaches and NO energy. Headaches lasted for 2 months. Closed our restaurant for 2 weeks during peak time. We never have time off in July and had to spend it at home feeling like crap and not making $$$. 

caveman

Quote from: YellowHammer on March 03, 2021, 12:17:37 PMWe've had to close our business down for two weeks so have lost a ton of money, and we are lucky it wasn't worse, because we know folks who have had worse, and worse is bad.
Robert, I hope you and Martha come through Covid healthy and ready to get back at it.  I know several folks who are struggling with it right now.  
Caveman

YellowHammer

Caveman, we appreciate it.  

It wasn't fun, it's weird how it tries to get at every weakness you have.  Nose, throat, tongue, eyes, lungs, even my teeth hurt.  Not to mention the normal symptoms.  

We are doing better and are opening up for business for the first time in a several weeks.  I was just telling Martha that I can't really remember the last two weeks, they are just gone, a blur.  We didn't even get a good hit, but some of my buddies had it real bad.

Actually, of the people I know who had it, which is about a dozen, only one was mostly asymptomatic, and most everybody else described it as "the sickest they'd ever been, or could remember" or along those lines.  I know three that went to the hospital, and one that died.  I only know one guy who had a mild dose, (besides my asymptomatic daughter) and he said he had "mild symptoms for about 10 days" and I said that being sick for 10 days wasn't "mild" in my book.  

It's not just me, we have customers who are hearing the same thing, first hand accounts from their friends, and they are going over the top to isolate and not get it, much more so than in the beginning.  I can see a distinct change in behavior.  At first we had to tell customers to spread out, bring their own tape measures, mask up (it's the law here in Alabama) and now we have customers who will just walk out of the building when they feel it's too crowded, or literally won't even come into the building, or won't even stand within 20 feet of someone else.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

dgdrls

Quote from: caveman on March 04, 2021, 10:15:31 PM
Quote from: YellowHammer on March 03, 2021, 12:17:37 PMWe've had to close our business down for two weeks so have lost a ton of money, and we are lucky it wasn't worse, because we know folks who have had worse, and worse is bad.
Robert, I hope you and Martha come through Covid healthy and ready to get back at it.  I know several folks who are struggling with it right now.  
Second @caveman   Get better and take care Yellowhammer.  And to all the folks here who are suffering with this, please take care.

I'm thankful that we have remained healthy through this mess
D

Chuck White

I believe that when this is over, the total "social behavior" is going to be quite different than what we were used to before COVID appeared!

Most likely some good, some not so good!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

HemlockKing

Never had covid or know of anyone who has it, life has been quiet in the "Atlantic bubble", life hasn't really changed here since the pandemic except masks in stores, the most cases we had in one day was 80 back last May, since then we often go days without a case. Been thankful for living here.
A1

HemlockKing

Quote from: Chuck White on April 11, 2021, 08:02:11 AM
I believe that when this is over, the total "social behavior" is going to be quite different than what we were used to before COVID appeared!

I was thinking that too Chuck, I believe we will see it in the new generation of kids more than anything, since they are still developing social skills and what not, I figure it would mess with their ability to "read" people, since they get no cues when chatting to people with a mask on, they just see a mask and eyes, no smiles etc. just my .2
A1

azmtnman

The masks can go away now. Where I live, a lot of people have embraced the "anonymity" of the whole mask thing. The social distancing in stores is fine with me!
 I'm tired of the nonsensical BS. Example: My wife has to have an outpatient procedure in May. Hospital tells her she needs a COVID test 7 days before her procedure!!!  She told them she was fully vaccinated and showed proof. Still had to schedule it. huh-smiley huh-smiley huh-smiley If it was an issue, how many opportunities would she have in 7 days to contract it?? That makes no sense in any part of this pandemic! Hosptial did call a couple days later and told her they had changed their policy and the test was no longer necessary.
  AZ has lifted any "mandatory" restrictions. Some national chains, especially resturants, still have their broad spectrum, one-size-fits-everywhere policies in place. Most of the fast food chain's dining rooms are still closed or on limited hours (like viruses only spread certain hours of the day!) I'd be fine going to my local diner, walking in without a mask and sitting near other unmasked people, talking to my unmasked waitress but sometimes I need fast food and can't go through the drive-thru with my trailer!

azmtnman

Well, I have it......AGAIN!!!!
 Fully vaccinated since Feburary 2021. I haven't been taking any other precautions.
  So far, this bout has been about 10-20% of my March 2020 run-in with it. I've been completely down for 2 days instead of 10 and already on the mend enough to feel like working again. 
   So I have it, my wife has a mild case, our son (unvaccinated) has it. Another young man that lives with us is on his 3rd time having it, is vaccinated and has hardly any symptoms. One young lady in our household tested positive while the other young lady (an elementary school teacher) is the only one so far to test negative and have no symptoms.
  I had 6 friends from the mid-west here last week to help us build 2 cabins and one of them tested positive today which is the reason we got tested. Those guys stayed in our campers, ate, showered in our house. Me and the boys worked 9-10 hours a day with them and my wife did all the cooking and cleaning up after meals. The 2 young ladies had limited, but not non-existant, contact with them.

Texas Ranger

My wife and I have been vaccinated, but have not had the virus.  Our best friends were vaccinated the same day as we were, and got the virus from an overnight visit with their daughter and grandson.  Grandson became sick overnight and they left that morning.  Too late.

The initial sickness was moderate.  3 weeks later the husband has long haul covid.  On oxygen, steroids, has fatigue.  Both had underlying health problems.

This is going to be a long haul for all of us, we all will be infected sooner or later.  It is a matter of will you be vaccinated or will you gut it  out?  You risk dancing with the grim reaper if you are old.  Does the vaccine grant you a pass? No.  It grants you a better chance.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

mike_belben

took 8 months but the wife did get smell and taste back finally which helped ease the depression of ... losing smell and taste.  

i do think we had it go through the house before it officially landed in the US.  i was driving semi up and down east coast at the time and those bigrig fuel handles and showers and toilets have every ick on them known to man.  truckers are from all over the world now. 
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

Been lucky here because case numbers are low. Fully vaccinated.

I've probably never had an ordinary cold for at least 7 years. I don't want any bug of any kind, thank you very much. None of them bring great pleasure. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doctorb

As discussed on the previous thread, I caught Covid Aug 7, 2021 at a family wedding. Fully vaccinated with Pfizer, and the last of the 2 shots was Jan 19, 2021. (Quite some time ago!).

I had mild-moderate cold symptoms.  No fever, but a runny nose and a dry cough.  Was able to do my daily 4-5 mile walks.  I received the monoclonal antibodies on the 5th day of my symptoms (doctor prescribed).  That evening, I felt a bit chilled and went to bed early.  Symptoms were completely gone 2-3 days later.  I did not feel like I truly needed the MAB's as my symptoms were improving before the infusion.  I blame the increase in symptoms the night of the infusion on the antibody infusion and not Covid. Yet, I think, given how this thing can react in some people, it may have been a wise decision.

So I am now 3 1/2 weeks after my exposure and subsequent infection.  I have no loss of taste or smell, and no lingering symptoms, so I feel fortunate.  People who get the MAB's are supposed to wait 3 months before receiving any vaccine, but those recommendations may change.  I will follow the science as best I can and decide that when the time comes.

I need a negative PCR to get into Canada.  Haven't seen my cabin since October 2019.  The problem is....no one can predict how long a PCR remains positive after Covid.  I have had one positive antigen (rapid) test and one positive PCR test (15 days after exposure).  A positive PCR does not mean that you are currently infectious.  It means that the test, which is very sensitive, is picking up protein remnants of the virus in your nasopharynx.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Ianab

Quote from: doctorb on September 02, 2021, 08:10:34 PMI need a negative PCR to get into Canada.  Haven't seen my cabin since October 2019.  The problem is....no one can predict how long a PCR remains positive after Covid.  I have had one positive antigen (rapid) test and one positive PCR test (15 days after exposure).  A positive PCR does not mean that you are currently infectious.  It means that the test, which is very sensitive, is picking up protein remnants of the virus in your nasopharynx

The testing is now sensitive enough that it can detect ONE case in a cities waste water. So all NZ cities are regularly tested to check the virus hasn't got lose there somehow. Obviously cities with cases already in isolation come up positive, which serves as a sort of calibration, If you know Auckland has 200 active cases, you would expect a strong positive in the waste water. You then go to Hamilton, and don't see any positives in the water, you can assume that city is still virus free. 

There was a positive test in nearby New Plymouth, but repeat tests over several more days came back negative. So it was put down to a patient who had recently recovered in quarantine, and safely returned home (or visited). But if samples had kept showing positive, then it would have been a flag to start tracking down a new infection.  

So the tests can pick up recently recovered cases as DrB suggests. A recovered person can still be shedding particles of inert virus protein that the tests can pick up. They aren't infectious as it's only fragments of the virus, but it's the specific pieces the test is checking for, and the test can't tell if that's attached to a whole virus or not. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

HemlockKing

I would say mostly
Bad (except spreading germs)and more anti social ness. Nothing good can come from having cloths over peoples faces everywhere you go, dehumanizing. I mean I already know how to interact, so I can read other cues for if someone may be laughing or mad under their mask, not so much for kids as they haven’t even learned to be social yet, and probably will have trouble reading people as they age, or maybe not, just a thought.
A1

caveman

Students are back in classes.  We have completed about a month of school.  Very few are wearing masks as it is optional.  I wear one in the classroom even though I have had the JJ vaccine.  I know about a dozen folks who have died from C-19 and a bunch who have had it, some mild, some very severe.  We will see how this plays out but I do not see it as a huge inconvenience to wear a mask if it may potentially prevent someone from having a bad C-19 experience.  Outside of the class I shed the mask.  As of yet I have not had it but two of our four ag teachers have contracted it in the past six weeks.  My middle daughter (she works with us) and I have avoided it so far.  We may just be antisocial enough to give us a little buffer.

I have a vaccinated cousin who has worked as a C-19 nurse since this began who has been hospitalized for the past three weeks.  She is having a rough time.  Hopefully she is finally on the recovery side of it.  She is 52 years old.  Another cousin, in his 60's, died two weeks ago due to C-19.  It is bad here now.
Caveman

Walnut Beast

If your not vaccinated it's best to keep your distance from people that are vaccinated. Why do you think more people are getting infected now.  Spike S Protein is what infects you from people vaccinated.

sawguy21

??? ??? Are you an anti vaxxer?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

doc henderson

the non-vaxed people are catching the virus from others with the disease.  the spike protein alone will not cause the disease.  the spike is what attaches the virus to a cell to infect, and is why the monoclonal antibodies are against that to slow the spread within a persons body.  vaccinated people can still catch the disease, but are less contagious and less ill.  I am working and have seen prob. 20 cases in the past 8 hours.  all are un vaccinated.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

If the spike protein coming from the vaccinated people makes you sick, why do they not get even sicker.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ianab

Quote from: doc henderson on September 04, 2021, 04:08:11 AMvaccinated people can still catch the disease, but are less contagious and less ill.  I am working and have seen prob. 20 cases in the past 8 hours.  all are un vaccinated.

In the local outbreak, 84% of the patients are not vaccinated, 12% have had one shot. and 4% are fully vaccinated. None of the folks in hospital are fully vaccinated. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doc henderson

to my knowledge, I have not had it.  I am tired sometimes but I worked 8 nights in a row (12 to 14 hours each) last month.  It took me 2 days to recover, but I am 60 y/o.   :)

Walnut Beast

My wife was in the hospital for four days after a surgery and chose not to get vaccinated because she knew from microbiology that she could shed the virus to me that's not vaccinated. That's what she claims 😂. She also told her neurologist when he asked why she didn't get the shot. She said that it's on a emergency basis and they don't know enough about the long term effects. How can you have a vaccine for a virus that constantly changes ? 

SwampDonkey

All hospitalizations here (4 right now) are not 'fully' vaccinated. One is ICU. Blaming the vaccinated as harbingers is total BS. ;D Here we have 75% vaccination and less common infection rate than a cold virus in the good old days. Areas in other parts of the world with low vaccination, high infections and alarming hospitalizations is the result. Look after yourself and increase your odds, or don't bother and enjoy the suffering if your number is up. The NYT surveyed a few folks in hospital who had it bad and could still talk, and many wished they had been vaccinated. Others stuck to their guns, one who was 54 years old didn't make it. Dead 9 days later. Not that there couldn't have been 100 others who survived. You know how the news is the last few years, leave out some of the facts to score points. But I think there is enough science around vaccines for what? 100 years ? that makes the case for getting the shot. I don't expect a mass die off from new types of vaccines, pretty much nil, around the 99% confidence level, so to speak. ;D

doc henderson

the mRNA get the cells to make a protein that would be like a part of the virus, but not have the ability to reproduce, as you would need all the parts to make a functioning viral particle.  so when you do get the virus, your immune system has a head start.  I would rather get the vaccine, then get the virus, than the other way around.  there may be complications but it looks like the immunization is safer than the disease.  I still feel the immune response will be broader and longer lasting from the disease.  You are correct in that we cannot know all the long term consequences, as it has not bee around long term.  this vaccine is not an attenuated virus, like many of the old ones, where you got a disables virus.  like the old oral polio.  the newer immunizations get the cells to make a bit. An analogy is like making the hand of a human, so that hand cannot function cause there is no heart or brain or even an arm to attach too.  you are either going to get the vaccine or the disease at this point.  we do not know much about the long terms effects of the disease either, but what we know makes the shot seem safer.

doc henderson

they try to predict the flu strains each year, and hit the top 3 or so for the vaccine.  since covid, we hardly see influenzae.  all the mitigation.  the covid shot is new, but built on research and development of the past 70 years.

Walnut Beast

Good info Doc! This Covid is some nasty contagious stuff. My wife is RN/BSN but should have been a Doc 

Paul_H

Quote from: Ianab on September 04, 2021, 06:21:40 AM

In the local outbreak, 84% of the patients are not vaccinated, 12% have had one shot. and 4% are fully vaccinated. None of the folks in hospital are fully vaccinated.
What's the percentage of vaccinated in NZ right now?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Paul_H

Quote from: sawguy21 on September 03, 2021, 11:38:43 PM
??? ??? Are you an anti vaxxer?
How does that concern you and how would his answer affect you?

sawguy21

Just curious. It sounded like anti vaxxer propaganda to me but I am not a medical expert by any means as you knoe.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Paul_H

Labels and names are divisive and not helpful and actually help to dehumanize.

Hilltop366

The latest numbers from Nova Scotia, around 70% on the total population is fully vaccinated.

There have been 4,357 cases from March 15 to Sept. 2, 2021. Of those:
— 68 (1.6 per cent) were fully vaccinated
— 261 (6.0 per cent) were partially vaccinated
— 4,028 (92.4 per cent) were unvaccinated

There were 255 people hospitalized. Of those:
— 2 (0.8 per cent) were fully vaccinated
— 28 (11.0 per cent) were partially vaccinated
— 225 (88.2 per cent) were unvaccinated

Twenty-eight people died. Of those:
— 1 (3.6 per cent) was fully vaccinated
— 3 (10.7 per cent) were partially vaccinated
— 24 (85.7 per cent) were unvaccinated

Southside

So freedom of choice is propaganda now? Seems every "official study" contradicts the one before it.

Stepped off an airplane in Rhode Island yesterday. Right there "Free rapid testing" signs in the airport. Why? Gotta keep the "case" numbers up? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

It is not free.  I am sure someone got a grant based on need from a year ago.  I am happy since otherwise every one comes to the Ed at 2 am.  over half of the 20 tests we did last pm are positive.  the ones that were worried that they had it (20 to 30 y/o), still do not want the vaccine after finding they had dodged a bullet.  At that age there is nothing to do for it, till and if you get really sick.  they are all going to get it with delta being more contagious especially if unvaccinated.  just stay home kids.

doc henderson

Lots of good people are getting bad information, so that is the potential harm.  More than preventing the disease, the hope with the vaccine is to have a smaller percent of people need to be in the hospital, and hopefully fewer people die.  It is not a fun death.   month in ICU culminating on a ventilator, and family unable to be at your side.  there are scenarios where the hospital people lock the doors and go home.  It is a little like Joe with a 4 wheel drive lifted truck, ridding around in the tornado and flood, and ends up needed EMS to rescue him.  I see where @sawguy was comming from.  much of the anti vaccine info is coming from the same folks that have thought that way about every vaccine for 30 years.  I appreciate that @Walnut Beast is still listening, and looking for answers.  thanks guys, we are all friends here.

Southside

Would have preferred to stay home. Had to bury my father. He took the J+J, developed confusion, heart issues right off the bat. Went downhill in a hurry, 30 days or so. His primary "thinks" it was a reaction to the pred he was on, I saw signs of minor stroke / blood clot. Ruled as heart failure. 

My brother in law took the same shot at the same time,51, works out, in great shape. Had a heart attack right at the same time my father started rapidly declining. 

Immunity and massive profitability for big pharma continues. 

Don't give in to pressure folks, decide for yourself.
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

@southside.  I am very sorry.

Ianab

Quote from: Paul_H on September 04, 2021, 10:24:07 AM
Quote from: Ianab on September 04, 2021, 06:21:40 AM

What's the percentage of vaccinated in NZ right now?
About 28% with both shots, and 58% with one. 
So even throwing those numbers into the equation, the vaccine appears to help a lot.

Paul_H

Quote from: doc henderson on September 04, 2021, 03:49:10 PM
 much of the anti vaccine info is coming from the same folks that have thought that way about every vaccine for 30 years.  
All 5 of my children were vaccinated growing up ,my eldest never had any of her children vaccinated but got the gene therapy for them all recently so they can travel. Strange science.
I can pretty well pick out who has taken the therapy around here ,it's the ones that were jumpy last year at 10' distance but will now invade our staff's personal space now they have a little artificial courage from a couple of vaccines. I heard Biden was calling for boosters every 6 months but the CDC said probably every 8 months.
The hypocrisy of calling tragic personal stories adverse reactions to the shots anecdotal or unsubstantiated but padding covid numbers is staggering. Not pointing any fingers here at all but silence is to assent and tarring all with the same brush is foolishness.
Lets use honest scales in weighing all sides and respect one another's decisions.

doctorb

Latest CDC data show hospitalizations are 16:1 non-vaccinated versus vaccinated.  Not much dispute about that data as it confirms many other publications/reports since June 2021.  
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Ianab

Latest numbers for Victoria, Australia where they have ~1700 active cases.

QuoteThere are 89 people being treated for coronavirus in Victorian hospitals, 24 are in intensive care units and 13 are on ventilators.

"Only one person who is in hospital has been fully vaccinated, again just making the point that if you are double-dose protected with either of the vaccines that are available, then you are almost certain to avoid very serious illness," Andrews said.

Covid-19 Australia: Victoria's Delta outbreak 'a pandemic of the unvaccinated' | Stuff.co.nz
That would seem to suggest up to an 88 to 1 ratio?

Southside

Thanks @doc henderson I do respect what you are doing, but there is a whole other side to all of this that gets lost in the weeds.  First the CDC "Indisputable data" gets completely blown out of the water when one looks at the data coming from Israel - the most "vaccinated" country on the planet.  Their numbers are polar opposite - so which do you believe?  That is a legit question.  The FDA just lost their top two folks in charge of the jab program because of the overwhelming politicization of this entire event.  Basically the White House is steamrolling the FDA - so again - who do you believe?

We get comfortable with that which is familiar, and we are so much more observant to that which we are not familiar.  We have many customer interactions here on the farm due to the varied nature of the business, so by no means are we isolated - however I almost never leave here because I simply can't get enough help and have to carry the balance.  That gives me a perspective that others don't get to see - namely the mission creep that many are exposed to daily - I get to see the changes which have taken place over the course of weeks, or many months at a time.  Rather than being the frog in the pot of water which is getting hotter, I am the frog who sticks his foot in now and then and lately the reaction has been "Dang that is hot" while all the other frogs are just floating around looking at me.  

My recent trip became compressed and rushed due to the remains of Ida hammering the mid-Atlantic and north east.  I had not planned to fly but that was no longer an option.  What I found peculiar is the absolute overwhelming contradiction of requirements which exist.

Walk into the airport and all you hear is "social distancing, wear your mask, we are keeping you safe", yadda, yadda, yadda.  Make your way over to the gate and every other seat is blocked from being used - social distancing.  Constant intercom reminders that the airline - the private business - is sanitizing the plane, cleaning every surface, changing air filters, fogging it with Lysol etc - to prevent the spread of the Wu Flu.  Make your way over to the bathroom in the municipally funded airport - you know the one paid for with taxes and by the authorities who make the rules - and you will find "touchless faucets" - 3/4 of which don't work, soap dispensers without soap, and every trash can overflowing with waste paper because they don't have enough staff to keep up - never mind have staff "constantly cleaning every surface" like the airlines are required to do - rules for thee, not me it is.  

Time to board the airplane, the flight attendant is passing out alcohol wipes for folks to pre-clean their already clean surfaces, at the same time they are telling you to get into your seat so the rest of the sardines can get crammed in.  So the same stranger that you had to leave a seat between you in the terminal is now rubbing elbows with you for the entire flight, in a smaller space, with less air volume and exchange handling capacity.  Other that who was paying the bill for the seat what has changed?  One situation is safer than the other?  

FDA and CDC are screaming that Ivermectin is useless against Covid - Japan just told folks it was time to use the treatment.   Who do you believe?

James Brady lived for 33 years after he was shot during the attempt on President Reagans life, yet his cause of death was determined to be a homicide due to the injury he received on that fateful day, over 33 years earlier.

Today if someone dies a month or two after being jabbed with an experimental substance that nobody knows what the broad or long term reactions to actually are, "the science" automatically dismisses any causal connection between the two, even if the complications presented are identical.      

It's very easy to get caught up in a system that one had dedicated their lifes work to.  Nobody wants to be wrong, especially on a grand scale.  The road to Hades is paved with good intentions.  

The fear mongering needs to stop, and we need to prepare folks to deal with and survive the infection when they get it, should they accept or refuse the government chosen experimental treatment material.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

I will not disagree with what you have said @Southside .  I, like you, want to make sure that no one is only hearing one side.  what we are seeing is many more unvaccinated folks.  I agree that their are potential and probable side effect to the vaccine, but it seems they are less than the disease.  we are seeing hypercoagulable stuff with both, but seems worse with the disease.  I have seen PEs, strokes and heart attacks, sudden death and atrial fibrillation at around a month after the disease and some after the vaccine.  I do not see enough on my own to form an opinion, so we try to look at data.  no one person can personally read everything out their, and much has not been studied.  I hope I am not perceived as fear mongering, but wonder what people want from us that are not sick but show up at 2 am for a rapid test and take up a bed in the ED, with 5 people waiting who are potentially sick.  It is an ED docs worst fear to have someone die waiting in the waiting room.  I know you know I mean well and that means a lot to me.  When did you loose your Dad?  I hope you and the rest of your family do OK.

Southside

There is no valid reason a person who isn't showing signs of sickness should be allowed into the ED just to take a test.

Your hospital administrator needs to step up, set a trailer in the parking lot, and have those tests provided there via contract services so you and your staff can focus on providing care to those who need it. 

On several occasions I had to deal with hospital admins when we had homicide victims transported to their facility, evidence recovery, etc. Honestly I was never impressed with any of them, always concerned with their image more than anything.  We simply did what we had to do. 

Best example I can think of was one where she would not release medical records for which I had a search warrant to obtain. When three of us knuckle draggers walked into the records room and began looking at files her desire to be helpful suddenly appeared. 

I have said it before, the medical staff on the front lines are clearly doing amazing work, but once it gets past that the same can not always be said. 

He passed on the 23rd.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

azmtnman

Quote from: doc henderson on September 04, 2021, 03:49:10 PM
Lots of good people are getting bad information, so that is the potential harm.  More than preventing the disease, the hope with the vaccine is to have a smaller percent of people need to be in the hospital, and hopefully fewer people die.  It is not a fun death.   month in ICU culminating on a ventilator, and family unable to be at your side.  there are scenarios where the hospital people lock the doors and go home.  It is a little like Joe with a 4 wheel drive lifted truck, ridding around in the tornado and flood, and ends up needed EMS to rescue him.  I see where @sawguy was comming from.  much of the anti vaccine info is coming from the same folks that have thought that way about every vaccine for 30 years.  I appreciate that @Walnut Beast is still listening, and looking for answers.  thanks guys, we are all friends here.
If I haven't learned anything else from this pamdemic, I have learned that you can find "evidence" to support anything you want to believe. 
  I've been laughed at when I tell people my only source for pandemic knowledge is the Forestry Forum!  :D :D :D Right until I explain that the doctors here are just good, honest, educated people applying their common sense with no political or corporate agenda. We all go to our doctors and listen when they say "If I were in your place, I would...." That's the best we can get.
   @doc henderson , @Ianab , I've said it before and I'll reiterate, thank you for helping us out. The hours you've spent typing out explainations and sharing your knowlege are not unappreciated.

doctorb

I think the take away from the Israeli and the US data is that the vaccine is much better protective against serious disease versus not having it, but the vaccine does not protect against infection, and the vaccine is no where as overall protective as we had hoped.

Paul_H

Are there no alternate or additional treatments to fight this lab produced virus? If a lab made it, maybe they can fight it even for a small stipend.

beenthere

Wishing the best to those who choose not to be vaccinated (and the others as well).
My brother-in-law was a non-believer and now can't work, is deep in debt from some poor financial decisions, was in hospital ICU for the month of June but home now on an oxygen tube up his nose. Lost his construction job which was his hope for getting out of debt. 
He can't go back to reconsider his decision. 

Daughter is a nurse in an hospital and says time is fast approaching that the shot will have to be required to keep the job, even tho nurses are in short supply.  

Wish everyone well while this runs its course.. or even if it does not. 

Thanks to the Forum for some great professional guidance; doctorb, doc henderson and others.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doc henderson

Well it goes to show that we are more like a forestry family, than a forum.  The goal of us promoting the vaccine is to try to save lives and we believe we are doing the right thing.  There is obviously still going to be loss of life.  some may be from the treatment as sadly illustrated by @southsides experience.  we cannot go back and see what the numbers would be without the vaccine.  We do not know what the state of the medical system (term used loosely) would be.  might be the whole thing would be over if we had let it rip through.  I assume there would have been more loss of life.  Our new company is mandating the vaccine for all providers (midlevel & physician) by November or you are fired.  if you get sick and had the vaccine you will get paid time off, not if without.  I do not agree with heavy handed stuff.  they are not taking anything away, but offering extra pay for work related injury.  Nest week we are hosting the Kansas state fair so our town of 45K and will have an extra 400K people here for 10 days.  The hospital staff is down so we have been at max for the past month, with long wait times in the waiting room and in the ED to go to the floor.  Patients needing transfer because we are full or cannot meet their needs, are waiting up to 3 days (72 hours) in the ED.  they are taking up the bed for the next heart attack or covid respiratory failure that walks in the front door.  Last week we had 3 complex fractures all at once and the local sawbones wanted them transferred to a higher level of care.  we have a state group that looks for the nearest hospital as Wichita hospital are all on diversion.  They found beds in Wisconsin.  we call several local docs and kept them home.  I am worried for the next 2 weeks.  we may loose staff.  We could see the scenario with 100 people standing outside the hospital.  @Southside , the testing station is a good one and I will suggest that at out next taskforce weekly meeting.  Again very sorry to hear about your Dad, and family.  Godspeed Jim.

doc henderson

@Southside as you might guess the person with no symptoms told they can get a rapid test at Walmart, suddenly develops a headache, shortness of breath, muscle aches, and chest pain.  We have successfully had only one father and son agree to do that.  last year our tent lasted 3 days in the Kansas wind.

charles mann

In Jan of 20, before there were tests and not much know of the full symptoms, i came down with something that put me on the ground for a little over 10 days. My first sign of a cold/flue was the normal scratchy throat, slight fever and a lil belly ache. I went on with my normal routine and the 2nd day, i got up for work at 0600, the bed was sweated down, couldnt stay warm, but went on to work. By lunch, i felt fine, but come 1800, i started feeling real bad, and by 0200 when we left the hanger, i couldnt talk, high fever, vomiting and that dry cough. I got on my plane from vancouver island, to vancouver, went through us customs, and on to dfw where my wife picked me up for the 3hr drive hm. 8 days of sleeping on the couch to prevent my constant coughing from waking the wife up, i started feeling better but still not up to my norm. Fast fwd to mid summer of this yr,came down with something for several months, dry cough for 3-4 days, coughing up lung chunks and blood for another 2wks and my lungs still arent back to normal, even for a pack a day smoker. Last month when a pilot and rear cabin guy tested +, which caused a new flt crew to be brought in and the crew stayed working. Then one of the junior supervisors that had the vax tested + 3 days ago. Luckily, he will have the isolation time and if he gets a - test, can help with acft tear down for ship loading.
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Stephen1

South Side I'm sorry to hear about your Father. 
Because I live in the boonies, I hear more about problems with the vaccine than the Virus. When I ask people with the problems from the vaccine if it was reported, I am usually told that their DR. didn't consider it a vaccine problem. 
My son inlaw had his great grandfather get the Booster, 3rd dose, 99 years old, myocarditus(?) he was taken to hospital where he contracted COVID and then died. 2 week window.  It was listed as a covid death, not a vaccine death. Go figure. If there is 1 example there are thousands more. 
I know the virus is hard on certain people, but it seems these  vaccine's are definetly hard on certain people also. 
i am just sitting back and waiting for this to play out. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

JDowns71

I can only give an observation based on my own experiences around me.  I haven't been vaccinated yet and probably will before I head back to Phoenix for the winter.  I haven't received a flu shot in almost 30 years and have never gotten the flu.  I did go through a period of 15 years of yearly tonsillitis where every few years was bad enough to go to the ER to have the tonsils or my throat drained of fluids.  Finally had those taken out 5 years ago.

Two of my cousins who lead unhealthy lifestyles with bar food or fast food as their primary nutritional intake both got Covid and both were fully vaccinated.  One spent a week in the ER on a ventilator and then got better and went home, the other was in bed for a few days.

My niece who recovered from Leukemia four years ago got Covid this fall, immediately after returning to school.  Got nothing but the sniffles along with two more of my nieces in the same household.

My sister and brother in law in the same household of my nieces both are fully vaccinated and both got Covid shortly after my nieces.  Both were in bed for a few days and didn't need to go to the hospital.  My sister actually got sicker after her first shot then she did with Covid after fully vaccinated.  Both my sister and brother-in-law lead healthy lifestyles with proper nutrition and exercise. 

I do wish the FDA and CDC would be far more open about the vaccine(s), break through cases, side effects, waning immunity, etc.   It just appears as though they are trying to shove it down your throat without having a fully open and honest discussion.  When the medical profession (FDA / CDC) become political then trust will quickly erode.

trapper

found out my sistterinlaw fully vaccinated has covid.  
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!