iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Makita KP312 Helical Cutter Head Conversion

Started by mattgancz, March 30, 2021, 02:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattgancz

Greetings Forestry Forum:

I am looking to upgrade a Makita KP312 planer with a helical cutter head, but the following comment from Shelix Heads gives me pause:

IMPORTANT: The outfeed table on the Makita KP-312 is not adjustable in height and neither are the insert knives on the SHELIX head. Therefore, the SHELIX head diameter has to match exactly the cutting diameter of the original head. Unfortunately, Makita has its own tolerances with the assembly of the machine where the space between the center of the cutter head to the surface of the outfeed table may differ on some machines. The cutting diameter of the SHELIX head equals the cutting diameter of the original head as we found on most machines. This diameter is 2.047". Before ordering this SHELIX Head, you need to measure the cutting diameter of your original head to see if it is the same. If it is different, you will need to decide whether or not you are able to customize the outfeed table to align it with the SHELIX head. (Cutting diameter = the measurement from the tips of properly set new blades not the body diameter)

The cutting diameter on the machine in question is 2.053".  Does anyone have experience with this issue, and can speak to it?  

Shelix does not have an easy return policy; there seems to be another company, Sheartak.  Does anyone have experience with them?  

The benefits of the upgrade are reasonable on paper, but there are no reviews from either of these companies on this helical cutter head.  Any help from those with experience would be appreciated!

Edvantage

.006 difference in diameter would translate to .003 different from table height. I doubt you would notice it. Probably within original factory tolerance.

Hilltop366

If I have this right in my head the new shelix is going to be slightly smaller. If it was a issue perhaps the out-feed could be lapped or surface ground a tiny bit to make it line up properly?

cib

Quote from: Edvantage on April 02, 2021, 12:03:14 PM
.006 difference in diameter would translate to .003 different from table height. I doubt you would notice it. Probably within original factory tolerance.
To put this in perspective this is the thickness of a human hair. 

Edvantage

Coarse hair at that. Fine hair is .002  really the error is splitting hairs.  

Thank You Sponsors!