iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rescuing crow chicks

Started by DonW, May 12, 2021, 09:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonW

I've picked up two chicks,  I say chicks but they are about the size of a small cat. They either fell out of the nest or were pushed by a dominant sibling which I suspect and's why I didn't return them. Now I've got the two in the stall but they don't eat much of the dog food I try getting in their beaks. Did anyone ever have success?
Hjartum yxa, nothing less than breitbeil/bandhacke combo.

btulloh

I know it can work but I don't know the details.  When I was growing up, a friend's dad had a guy climb a tree and snag a crow chick for him. Raised it to adulthood and it was quite an interesting pet. After a couple years it did return to the crow community. I guess it was just time.

Wish I could help on the details, but for sure it's doable. Good luck. Sounds like you're they're best option. 
HM126

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Tacotodd

Just don't let it watch Heckel & Jeckel.   :D
Trying harder everyday.

btulloh

HM126

Southside

I have had good success with scrambled egg when dealing with chicks that have gone off their food.  Maybe try that and mix in some of the other items they eat.  Having some whey - the liquid off the top of a container of yogurt - is also an excellent booster.  The stuff is a miracle food for sick chicks.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DonW

Reading the link, it seems simple but it looks like One may not make it till morning. Neither taking to feeding as of yet as I keep one finger in the beaks to hold them open and drop food in with the other.  At least some goes down. 
Hjartum yxa, nothing less than breitbeil/bandhacke combo.

Southside

Dip their beaks in some whey if you have it.  Instant sugar and energy.  Might take a couple of times but they will begin to lap it up with their tongues.  Keep them warm too. Are they fully feathered or just duff? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

I had one I raised. Didn't know if it was a boy or girl so we named it "Kevin" like the bird on the Pixar movie "Up"😁 Anyhow, give them raw hamburger. At least that's what I did successfully. And you can't just drop the food in, you have to actually shove it down their throat just like their parents do. They sit on their haunches and tip their head back with their mouth open, pinch some burger between your thumb and finger and shove it right down. They make a terrible racket but they like it🤷🏽‍♂️ They make a really neat pet but they are very mischievous😊
Too many irons in the fire

Runningalucas

I worked with Jody at Fallen Feathers.  She's rehab'd everything you can think of including crows, and ravens.  Please reach out to her.  The website is : Home - Fallen Feathers

I don't know what you're doing with the dog food, it should work, it needs to be ultra moist, and their feeding schedule I think should be small amounts very regularly.  I could be wrong, but I'm thinking something like a couple super moist crumbled pellets every 20 minutes or so.  

She's a wonderful woman with a wonderful charity.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

HemlockKing

I don't have pet crows but I do put lots of food out for them I throw would of thrown out anyway, they seem to take a liking to tuna the most, maybe try a can of flaked tuna
A1

Thank You Sponsors!