iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is Norwood sawmills returning any calls or emails?

Started by Jim gaster, May 13, 2021, 06:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim gaster

Trying to buy a sawmill for the last 2 weeks, no response to phone calls or emails

btulloh

Delivery is way out for all the mills. Some are 6 month lead times, some run over a year out. Just the way things are right now. Everyone is short on staff and labor, supply chains backed up. The sales staff is probably building mills and trying to get orders out, help existing owners who need parts, etc. orders are being taken, but it's probably a lower priority than trying to manage operations.  With some, their websites will have lead times. Just the reality of the time. Sawmills of all types are over bought and labor and materials are non-existent or very slow. 
HM126

Thomasjw4

I ordered my Norwood at the beginning of the sawmill rush and it was hard to get ahold of anyone.  That being said, i still had my mill within 3 weeks of ordering.   Email seemed to be the better option.  

DesertHobo

Email is definitely best. I've had a pretty easy time communicating with one of their service/sales reps. Considering the constraints they're dealing with, I'd say they've gone above and beyond to help me. I've had to revise my order a few times and the response has been very quick.

Not sure if I was very fortunate or if they've been working on better service, either way I'm very happy thus far.

wbrent

I own a Norwood saw. HAvent been able to reach them for months. I just wanted to order blades. HAd to go elsewhere. And there website does not work for ordering either. 

Patrick NC

I haven't had any problems. I called my salesman on Tuesday morning at 8:30 and left a message. He called me back at 10 am. I had to order a battery for the remote control. It shipped Wednesday. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

DesertHobo

Finalized my order today, got a call from one of their managers to confirm. Very helpful, stayed on the phone to answer questions and provide details. They even allowed me to split the payment up between credit and EFT (needed my bank to help finance part of the order). Got a follow up "thank you" from the salesperson I've been going back and forth with.
I've had mixed feelings because of the bad experience some folks are having with them, so far I would definitely recommend them though (based solely on research and this recent personal experience with them). Time will tell how the summer plays out and the mill comes together. If they are able to honor their timeline, and all components are ready and up to spec, they'll have a loyal customer.

ofarrell

I ordered a HD36.  It showed up under the time they quoted but it was missing box 4 which is critical to assembling the frame.  I emailed and sent a Facebook message and got this response back in 3 days. 

"Sadly we do not have any dates that have been reliable to pass on to you the customer. Anything I tell you will not be true by tomorrow, you will receive email every Tuesday until you have all of your parts. You will receive tracking information to the email on your account as soon as any parts leave the building. Thanks so much for your understanding during this time we will get through this together."

Not really what I wanted to hear but I'm at their mercy right now.  I have 12k worth of parts sitting in my driveway doing nothing right now. 

rngrrymd

I just ordered a HD36v2 Tuesday May 11th. My salesman, Tim, got back to me in good time both with the initial quote I asked for back in April and adjustments to the quote and ordering last week. Tim said the calls and e-mails pile up faster than he and other staff can work through them but they just keep trying to work away and respond to them. I also learned he is still work from home and I'm sure other staff at Norwood are as well which I think makes companies a little less productive because of communication delays. (My wife is still work from home with her company thru Labor Day 2021 so this makes sense). I think the best way to get a response from Norwood is thru e-mail correspondence right now. 

I was originally going to order a Timberking mill but I watched the lead times go from 2021 to 2022 and now 2022-2023 in a little over a month or two. I called Cook's Saws over a month ago and they were already out to 2022 for mill production so Norwood and probably Woodmizer (did not call them have no idea of their lead times right now) are one of the few that can get a mill out to you this year still. Just huge demand with lumber prices so crazy not to mention supply and labor shortages.

B.C.C. Lapp

I'm thinking in about about a year or so there is going to be lots of used hobby mills on the market and those orders stacking up at Norwood and woodmiser and timberking will be getting canceled faster than Dr.Fauci can change his mind. 
And compact tractors.
And rototillers.
And campers.
Etc. Etc.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

DesertHobo

Quote from: B.C.C. Lapp on May 16, 2021, 07:43:38 PM
I'm thinking in about about a year or so there is going to be lots of used hobby mills on the market and those orders stacking up at Norwood and woodmiser and timberking will be getting canceled faster than Dr.Fauci can change his mind.  
And compact tractors.
And rototillers.
And campers.
Etc. Etc.
I can only hope. I'd love to expand my operation and plan out the next family vacation in one fell swoop. Even better if it'll all be at a discount  :D
Quote from: rngrrymd on May 16, 2021, 06:52:45 PM
I was originally going to order a Timberking mill but I watched the lead times go from 2021 to 2022 and now 2022-2023 in a little over a month or two. I called Cook's Saws over a month ago and they were already out to 2022 for mill production so Norwood and probably Woodmizer (did not call them have no idea of their lead times right now) are one of the few that can get a mill out to you this year still. Just huge demand with lumber prices so crazy not to mention supply and labor shortages.
Timberking was my first choice, too. My uncle has had a 2000 for as long as I can remember and I've always wanted one, the lead times were a lot better back then though. Woodmizer was my second choice, they went from 12 to 16 months within a couple weeks of talking to them. I called Cooks, Hudson and EZ to get a feel for where everyone was at, and of course everyone's in the same boat.
Norwood has been very consistent and upfront with their timeline, and after watching every video I can find and reading what feels like every word written about them, I feel great about my choice. I'll be interested to see where your journey takes you, I'm sure it'll be a great adventure.

Thank You Sponsors!