iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Throttle adjustment on LT40

Started by woodhick, March 06, 2014, 06:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhick

I installed a new drive belt on mill and adjusted the belt tension.  Now throttle does not work when putting pulling arm to tighten belt.   There is not adjustment on either end of throttle cable??  There is a spring on the mill head side that is bolted to the head.  I loosened it and adjusted it by "laying the spring over" and tighten it back up.  Does not seem like the proper way to do it.  Can someone who had done this before give me some advice.
Thanks
James.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Peter Drouin

If I remember right the adjustment is in the handle part. In the linkage. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

47sawdust

I went thru this on my Lt30.Do not fool with the throttle linkage.You need to adjust your brake band after installing a new drive belt.I followed the instructions in my owners manual and the saw has never run better.Imagine that!
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

MartyParsons

Hello he is a note from the G25 manual.

The throttle cable should be tensioned just enough
so that the engine revs as soon as the
clutch/brake handle is engaged. NOTE: A properly
adjusted throttle will extend the cable
spring 1/4" to 3/8" (6.4 - 9.5 mm) when running and have a slight amount of slack in the cable when idling.

Hope this helps.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

woodhick

Thanks for the help.  I have the G25 manual but it does not show how to adjust.  I did not try the arm linkage will try that tomorrow.
Thanks
James.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

woodhick

Ok had a little time to try adjsuting again today before work (night shift).  I can make adjustment with the vertical turnbuckle and that will raise the rpm but then the belt gets so tight I cant pull it into gear and its way to tight for the bearings etc.  Manual shows using this turnbuckle to increase tension and them mentions adjsuting throttle afterward.  When I get the belt tight to specs and put machine in gear the throttle cable has 3/8" or so slack in it with no way to adjust it without messing with belt tension.  what am I not getting here???
Thanks
James.

woodhick

Also what is the optimal rpm to set throttle at?? 
James

Jim_Rogers

The first thing you need to do is get the belt tension right.
That's the most important part. As the belt wears or stretches you'll need to adjust it again.
You adjust the belt tension with the turn buckle.

After you have the tension right you need to adjust your brake strap, if you have a leather one that you can adjust. I don't know how to adjust the other type as I have a leather one.

After you have both of those done they you adjust your throttle cable.

On my machine there is a bracket that the gable mounts to on the side of the engine. I had two nuts one on either side of the bracket. You can adjust these to make the cable tighter.
On my machine there is a bar that the throttle linkage presses against when the engine is at high idle. You can bend this bar back and forth to allow the engine speed to go higher or lower, when at high idle.

You should use a tach to set the high and low idle speeds.

What type of engine do you have?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Brucer

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on March 08, 2014, 06:41:34 PM
After you have the tension right you need to adjust your brake strap, if you have a leather one that you can adjust. I don't know how to adjust the other type as I have a leather one.

My 2006 mill (and the 2005 mill I had before that) has a lined metal brake strap. The upper end is attached to a bracket. The bracket has two bolts in a slotted hole. If you loosen the bolts you can slide the bracket up or down to adjust the brake. The adjustment procedure is explained in section 5.10 of my manual.

And, just so's you know, section 5.11 tells you how to adjust the drive belt tension. WM should have put this section ahead of the brake adjustment section, since that's the order you should do the adjustments.

After you have both of those done they you adjust your throttle cable.

On my machine there is a bracket that the gable mounts to on the side of the engine. I had two nuts one on either side of the bracket. You can adjust these to make the cable tighter.

That seems to be a standard arrangement for the gasoline models.

The throttle cable isn't supposed to adjust the speed of the engine. When clutch is disengaged the cable is slack and the engine idles at whatever adjustment the idle stop is set to. When the clutch is engaged (i.e., drive belt tight), the cable opens up the governor, which is what determines the blade speed.

Look for the arrangement Jim described. It's designed to make the throttle cable path longer or shorter. You don't have to make an exact adjustment. The throttle cable is slack in the idle position. It pulls firmly against a spring in the sawing position, and the spring pulls the governor to it's maximum position.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

woodhick

Thanks guys I really feel that I am outdumbing myself on this operation.  I have the belt tension set where I feel is correct and the brake set where I think it's good realizinf that as the belt stretches I will have to re-adjust.  On my machine (Kohler 25hp) the throttle cable has a loop that attaches to a spring on the motor.  cable runs through a sleeve that has a couple bolts on a tab to adjust but moving it will just move the sleeve along the cable.  cable is not attached to sleeve in any way.  On the fixed end attached to the saw head there is a spring that the cable goes into the center of.  The cable has a "head" crimped on that rides up inside of the spring and stops.  There is no adjustment on either end of the cable to change length of the movement of the cable.
Thanks
James

Thank You Sponsors!