iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Installing stationary legs on LT40HD

Started by York Woodwright, May 08, 2021, 10:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

York Woodwright

My 2013 LT40HD is used in a stationary manner. I ordered the stationary support legs which just arrived. However, in the absence of any instructions on how to install them, I have several questions for which I beseech your advice.

First, I presume that I remove the axle/wheel assembly before installing the new legs. I have read the relevant instructions on previous FF posts, which are most helpful. Am I correct in removing the axle before starting to install the stationary legs?

My LT40 currently has six legs. I received seven stationary legs. Because I recently added the board return system to my mill, I am wondering if the seventh leg is for its support.

The legs are labelled:
1.  Leg Wdmt, Stationary Front 1997
2.  Leg Wdmt, Stationary Left Ptd 
3.  Leg Wdmt, Stationary Left Ptd
4.  Leg Wdmt, Stationary Right Ptd 
5.  Leg Wdmt, Stationary Right Ptd
6.  Leg Wdmt, Stationary Right Ptd 
7.  Leg Wdmt, Stationary Front Ptd

Are leg numbers 1 and 7 for both the front and rear of the mill, where I currently have fine-adjust outriggers? If they are not used for the rear of the mill, then which leg goes there?

Do the left and right sides refer to the mill when standing in front of the control panel at the end by the trailer hitch? (Dumb question, but I thought I should ask.)

Why do I have three right legs? Does one support the board return plate even though the return is not currently supported by a leg? 

Anything special I should know about the procedure in removing/installing the legs, such as what order to remove and replace them?

I will be bolting the legs to the floor. I like Bibbyman's post from 2007 about using two chains on either side of the loading arms to hold down the mill in case of a flip:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=28036.msg401712#msg401712

Thanks for your help!
Charles
I'm still learning how to use my WM LT40HD. This is an avocation, not a vocation -- not as pecunious as medicine, but a lot more fun!

Dave Shepard

I have five on the rail side, and two on the loader side. There is one that goes where the hitch goes. The axle has to go before you can bolt the mill down, because you have to lift the mill up a bit to get it out from underneath. I used expanding anchors and shimmed until the rail was dead level. I also have a BX24 extension, so it's a bit time consuming to get it right. 

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

York Woodwright

Dave, Thank you very much for your helpful response. When I got to the sawmill this morning and sorted through the legs, the support which replaces the trailer hitch suddenly made sense. I'm looking forward to having no axles/ tires to stumble over. Cheers! Charles
I'm still learning how to use my WM LT40HD. This is an avocation, not a vocation -- not as pecunious as medicine, but a lot more fun!

Dave Shepard

When I first started running the mill, I removed the hitch and left it in the barn. No more smashed knees. When I got the stationary legs and removed the axle, it was even better. So much easier to clean under the mill.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!