iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Oak root exposed, what can I do

Started by ilzho, August 12, 2016, 05:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilzho

Hello:

I have a great red oak that seems healthy, but I do not like that the roots are exposed like this.
Any recommendations or just leave it be.
I didn't do this, the previous owner did.

Ron Scott

Place a few inches of top soil over them and seed some grass for protection. It will prevent their damage and make the lawn mowing over and around much easier.
~Ron

ilzho

Thank you.
If I can get some bermuda sod with some top soil, would that be better?

timberlinetree

Or a larger mulch bed. Just don't pile mulch to high around the trunk.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Ron Scott

Yes, the sod will be good. Keep it watered with a little fertilizer to get it started over the exposed roots.
~Ron

Carson-saws

Mr. Scott....does the surrounding stones/rocks have any effect on the girdling or exposed roots?
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Ron Scott

I would remove the surrounding rocks and return the top soil at least to their height. It appears that the soil was raked off the roots and placed around the tree for placement of the rocks leaving the roots exposed which isn't a good situation allowing for root damage from mowers, rakes etc.
~Ron

Jemclimber

With only the leaf to judge size, that tree looks relatively small.  It's hard to tell how much of the root zone needs to be "fixed".  I have seen many trees killed by people who put too much soil on top of a root zone to fix their yard and smother the trees roots. It often takes a few years for this stress to show up "upstairs".  Feeder roots need oxygen.  I don't know how thick the sod is, but I think the tree would prefer to have only thin loose layers added in increments(annually), sprinkled with seed to also allow small roots the oxygen they need. 
I agree with Ron about getting rid of the rocks and getting the top soil to its original height to protect those roots from mechanical damage from mowers and rakes etc.
lt15

Thank You Sponsors!