iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slab for the mill

Started by highleadtimber16, October 13, 2014, 08:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highleadtimber16

Got the forms up for my slab today. Just got to level the ground a little. Slab will be 12'x35'. My mill is on my grandpas property, which is a gravel pit. He just started a concrete plant last year as well. Sometimes we get a mixer truck worth of left over concrete per day. May as well put it to use! I plan on putting a shed up within the next couple months as well. Had to have a fire going today. It was WET!

2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

ozarkgem

sweet . Free concrete. can't go wrong there.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

woodworker9

Just a little advice after seeing your forms for your slab.  I've been a concrete contractor for 25 years.  You need WAYYYYY more stakes then you are showing......1 stake every 3 to 4 feet to keep them from bowing out.  You also need stakes on both sides of every corner, and you want a  extra support stake on those which won't allow them to blow out.

Worst thing in the world is being in the middle of a pour an have your forms give out.

Just trying to help.......
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

giant splinter

New shed in the works?
Cant wait to see this one.
roll with it

highleadtimber16

Quote from: woodworker9 on October 14, 2014, 12:16:03 AM
Just a little advice after seeing your forms for your slab.  I've been a concrete contractor for 25 years.  You need WAYYYYY more stakes then you are showing......1 stake every 3 to 4 feet to keep them from bowing out.  You also need stakes on both sides of every corner, and you want a  extra support stake on those which won't allow them to blow out.

Worst thing in the world is being in the middle of a pour an have your forms give out.

Just trying to help.......

Thanks for the tip. I'm putting gravel all around it anyways so should hold it fine, otherwise I would put more in!  ;) I saw my neighbours forms blow once. Not fun.  :(
EG 200 Wood-Mizer

beenthere

I like to cut the stakes off too so the concrete can be struck off without going around stakes. ;)
But you may already have that done.
Without knowing how much 'crete is coming, do you throw in a stop board to square up against when the load runs out?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

backwoods sawyer

Be nice to have a slab to work on.

I had a buddy who worked for a concrete plant, I lived 35 miles fron the plant. When they had a pour out in the valley they would empty the trucks before returning. Always kept a few forms ready most of the time it would be half a yard or so.

I was working nights, sleeping good, when he pulled in the driveway laying on the air horn, had 7 yards with a heavy does of high early and it was getting thick fast, had him just dump the whole load in the middle of the driveway and used the tractor to spread it enough to trowle out the rest of the way.

I never knew how much to expct so kept a devider board that could be staked in as needed, took 5 pours to do the pump house floor this way :)

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Mooseherder

Post removed for offensive material.
You may want to re-post without that one picture or crop it out.

highleadtimber16

Ok Mooseherder it's G rated now.  ;) I got my slab down. Axel off, and lights on.

EG 200 Wood-Mizer

Mooseherder

Very nice work. :)
Looks like you're ready for serious production. 8)

Brucer

I can't tell for sure from the photos, but it looks as though your outriggers are sitting directly on the concrete. There's a chance that one or more will eventually fail if that's the case.

Wood-Mizer recommends using stationary legs in this situation. I suspect wooden blocking an inch or two thick would provide enough cushion to protect the adjustable outriggers (but no promises).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

highleadtimber16

Brucer, I talked to Wood-Mizer and they said they may fail, and they may not. If they do, I'll make some up. The kit is expensive. I already payed enough for these legs as it is.
EG 200 Wood-Mizer

Thank You Sponsors!