iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Home Made Tooth Setter

Started by Gideon_70, December 07, 2015, 06:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gideon_70

This is a repost.  I inadvertently violated the rules by posting a link to one of those auction places.  My apologies to the mods.

I made a tooth setter.  I've seen some decent ones, but none that would be quick and easy.  I posted about my prototype, and it worked but looked horrible.  This is the new edition.

You cannot reduce crime by disarming the victims!

logs2lumber

looking good what do you use to make the set with

Darrel

Based on my interpretation of the pics, it's a single tooth setter and the tooth is set by the piece of re-bar that pivots on the bolt.  Pushing that piece toward the dial indicator bends the tooth.  Good looking tooth tooth setter you've got there.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

valley ranch

Can't see how it will reach the tooth, is there to be a bolt through the bar that's hasn't been installed?

woodmills1

I also am not seeing, from the pictures, how the job gets done.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Nomad

I assume the rebar lever opposite the dial indicator is what bends the tooth over, with a piece of stock installed in the hole in it?  Looks like it should work pretty good to me. 
     Not to be nit-picky, but I'd suggest changing the contact point on the dial indicator.  Use a wide mushroom or flat tip.  The one you have will never give accurate readings due to it's shape.
     Do you have to advance the band by hand, or did you make a lever to move it a set distance each time?
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Gideon_70

Quote from: Darrel on December 08, 2015, 07:28:19 PM
Based on my interpretation of the pics, it's a single tooth setter and the tooth is set by the piece of re-bar that pivots on the bolt.  Pushing that piece toward the dial indicator bends the tooth.  Good looking tooth tooth setter you've got there.

I use a 10mm bolt that goes through the rebar to push on the tooth, and once the bolt is in and in place, I look at the angle I need to get the tooth to bend ...just right... and grind the face.  Take a few minutes to set up, but I only use one kind of blade so it works for me perfectly.

A while back I was having some issues with some pitchy pine I was sawing, and I took an old blade, and added two thousands to the set to crab out a bigger gullet... I got cleaner cuts and less walking, and that old blade cut well after a little grinding. 

Gideon_70

Quote from: nomad on December 09, 2015, 05:34:03 AM
     I assume the rebar lever opposite the dial indicator is what bends the tooth over, with a piece of stock installed in the hole in it?  Looks like it should work pretty good to me. 
     Not to be nit-picky, but I'd suggest changing the contact point on the dial indicator.  Use a wide mushroom or flat tip.  The one you have will never give accurate readings due to it's shape.
     Do you have to advance the band by hand, or did you make a lever to move it a set distance each time?

That's a great idea!  I was taking a lot of time to get the tooth on just the right spot to get good readings, but if I made the end of the indicator flat... awesome idea!

I'm doing the advance by hand.  I did run across an advance lever that was nice and adjustable and I'm going to play with it to see if I can make it work here.  It would be nice to index as I set.

But the way I built it, it works in a benchtop vice and I've found that moving the blade by hand really isn't that difficult.

Gideon_70

Quote from: valley ranch on December 08, 2015, 08:34:34 PM
Can't see how it will reach the tooth, is there to be a bolt through the bar that's hasn't been installed?

Yep.  I'm using a stainless carriage bolt that's ground to the shape and angle of the tooth.  Makes a cleaner bend more toward the base of the tooth than at the top.

Gideon_70

Quote from: Darrel on December 08, 2015, 07:28:19 PM

Thank ya.  I used Cub Cadet yellow for the setter, and the black is that dip stuff that feels like foam rubber. 

millwright

The indicator end should be threaded so you can put whatever you want on it. Good looking rig

Thank You Sponsors!