iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how to cut real small loggs short and thin?

Started by artenvielfalt, September 14, 2005, 05:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artenvielfalt

hi there, i´m on the peterson 8" or 10" and like to have some information from users who cut for themselves as i do sometimes real small loggs, how do you do it?  then i had a job for cutting old pine trees of less than 25cm diameter into fencepoles, cut them in half or quarter them.  there where more than 500 loggs (loggies) of 1,6 - 2,5m
it was a heary job to do because they where to light and we had not a good system for keeping them in place.  what do you use or what idea do you have. 
thanks for answers.

NZJake

Gidday Ulf, give us a ring at the factory and we'll send you a set of claws, just hammer them into each side of the logs. 10" logs are perfect for the system. You should be able to fit 4 complete sets in a row on each log bunk.

cheers.
Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

DonE911

Hey Jake.... got any action pic's on them claws   

might help esplayn how they work.

Timburr

Artenvielfalt, I split a lot of short, small fenceposts and I used to saw them on a pto driven bench saw. It's too much like hard work pushing them through. So I made a holding jig for my Lucas, which doubles the throughput and halves the effort.......turnaround of 40 seconds per 1.7m post split. But I do have the luxury of a knuckle-boom loader to re-locate piles in and out.

The jig is very simple realy....2 biggish log offcuts about 0.7m tall. Stand them on end and chainsaw out a 90° V about 15cm deep in each. Cut a slot, full depth at 90° to the V to take a board. Hammer the board into the slot...it must be a tight fit. Screw 2 screws into the board about 10cm apart and protruding through the board by 6mm or so. This acts as an end dog to stop your log from lifting. Place your jig logs and batten a couple of straps to them to stabilize them. I've got mine slotted into the wooden bunks I use for milling.

Mill them in the vertical position only.
If you want to quarter your logs, halve each log, then turn and halve each half.
When starting each post it will try to lift, so you will have to exert some downward pressure with your right hand.
Go slower when the blade is just about to exit the log, it might just snatch.

And finally, make sure your sawdoc uses high grade silver solder. Splitting posts is very hard on tips, because of the angle the tip re-enters the wood. The impact of a hard knot on the underside of the log may be enough to knock a tip off if inferior solder is used.

Cheers Tim
Sense is not common

Thank You Sponsors!