iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got the mill running today

Started by DbltreeBelgians, April 06, 2013, 11:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DbltreeBelgians

Finally!
I got the mill reassembled and set up today after a long winter of modifying.
Had a few things to dial in and then set a small maple for a shake down run.
Here's a few pics of my efforts.

Mill set and ready for logs

Log on and ready for the blade

Roller toe board and squaring post

Clamp and lift cylinder

Now I need to learn the ropes on making the most out of a log.
With all the knowledge and help here at the FF I think in due time I'll get a handle on things.
Eyes are full of sawdust and I'm loving it. Won't be able to sleep tonight as I'll be thinking of milling tomorrow afternoon. ;D
More to come,

Brent

ladylake

Real nice, are the hydraulics run off a tractor.  You might want to get a side wind jack on the loading side as the top wind might get beat up.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Nomad

Looks good! 8)  Personally, I think I'd want to use a bit longer hoses and route 'em down to the ground where I wouldn't be tripping or high stepping over them all the time.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

Maybe run the hydraulics off a 6hp gas motor like my B20. wouldn't need a tractor and that setup works real good.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

Congrats, we will also be anxious to see some lumber.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DbltreeBelgians

Hydraulics were run off of an AugerMate portable power unit with a 6.5 Honda and a 6 gpm pump just to see how things would function. When I get everything tweaked I will have the hydraulics mounted on the mill and out of the way.  Ran just above idle and that was plenty of speed and power. Installed a seperate pressure relief in the clamp as I didn't want too much pressure for fear of damage to the mill or the wood. Had to dial it in and it worked good.
Also have electric motor and hyd pump set up for it if I'm milling at home or somewhere with 220.
As for the sidewind jacks, I agree. This is how I bought it so I might just replace the center load side if I damage it.
Gonna do some more milling this afternoon and we'll see how things work out.
Thanks for all the comments and wish me luck. This is gonna be fun!

Brent

thecfarm

It's always fun to saw. The add ons looks good. Was you able to bring out any wood with your horses this winter?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

NW Ohio eh .Judging from the pictures it cannot be far from me .Flat ground farm  land .

justallan1

Great job. I'll bet you can't wait to use it now.
Allan

hardtailjohn

Looks great, Brent! Can't wait to see lots of lumber and sawdust!
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

DbltreeBelgians

Quote from: Al_Smith on April 07, 2013, 08:33:39 AM
NW Ohio eh .Judging from the pictures it cannot be far from me .Flat ground farm  land .

Southwest of Findlay.

HaroldSiefke

Nice work on the mill looks really great. I am also needing to build hydraulic back stops. I would sure like to see a couple of better pictures of them if it wouldn't be to much trouble. Can you adjust them if they get out of square? Great job. Hal
Harold

mad murdock

Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

DbltreeBelgians

Quote from: thecfarm on April 07, 2013, 08:32:59 AM
It's always fun to saw. The add ons looks good. Was you able to bring out any wood with your horses this winter?
Never really had the weather for logging this winter and my best horse got canker and thrush in both right feet costling a lot of TLC and $$$$.$$ to clear up.

DbltreeBelgians

Quote from: HaroldSiefke on April 08, 2013, 01:26:39 AM
Nice work on the mill looks really great. I am also needing to build hydraulic back stops. I would sure like to see a couple of better pictures of them if it wouldn't be to much trouble. Can you adjust them if they get out of square? Great job. Hal
I'll try to get a few pics of the squaring posts. I can adjust them back in if they get racked but don't ever look forward to it. Was a treat to get them where they are now. I made flange bearings from ½" plates and 1½" set collars then put 1½" shafting in the ends of the 2" square tubing and drilled and tapped on a corner  2  ½-13 holes to pinch the shaft. Did this on both ends of the horizontal tube. Next time I'd just use 4 bolt flange bearings and be done with it. They would be self aligning if the frame rails were not true to each other. Don't ask me how I know this. >:(

Brent

roghair

Brent, very nice mill; post more pictures!
When I have my manual mill ready, I'll study hydraulics and probably post many questions.
built a sawmill

Al_Smith

Quote from: DbltreeBelgians on April 07, 2013, 11:40:04 PM
Quote from: Al_Smith on April 07, 2013, 08:33:39 AM

Southwest of Findlay.
Yeah I kinda thought so .The great black swamp .Flat as a pancake .I'm right at the southern edge of it myself .

Thank You Sponsors!