iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where is the snow?

Started by moosehunter, January 19, 2006, 04:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

Who has ridable snow around their home? Deadwood? what are the trails like? Any one in northern Mi.?
Snowmobiles are great fun 'till you have to watch them sit all winter :( we have no snow.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

sprucebunny

Ours all washed away yesterday.  :'( I'm depressed about it, too.

Knew I should have bought a sander and not a plow  :-\     

If you look at "weatherunderground" they have a snow depth map. Looks to me like Canada is the best bet ???

http://www.wunderground.com/US/Region/US/SnowDepth.html
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

I was out walking on the woodlot today and I was walking mostly on ice. Snow went by-by in the past week. The potato fields are about all bare, with a light dusting today. There's about 4 feet of snow in line fences where the wind piles it up. :D :D I wouldn't want to ski doo across rivers, streams, ponds and lakes without the scuba gear on. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Part_Timer

I wish we had snow.  We had jus a dusting yesterday 27 degrees and today it is 54 tomorrow is 50 and rain.  It has been that way for a month now.  WE NEED SNOW for tubing behind the quad.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Deadwood

I got sick of looking at my snowmobile too and headed up to the only place in Maine I thought had snow...Caribou. Found out they mostly have ice, and darn thin ice too. I broke through and sunk my sled three times...once halfway up the engine compartment. It took me 8 hours to get out...after I walked 3.3 miles back to the Border Crossing at Limestone. There they let me use my phone, after I was grilled for 20 minutes about who I was and where I was riding and all that.

It was not fun, but I did manage to get 260 miles on my sled for all that work. Of course tugging and pulling to get my sled unstuck injured my back and now I am down and out for a few days waiting for it to recouperate. The whole trip was a disater and they got 2 more inches of rain since I left on Thursday morning.

I will say this, DON'T head to Caribou Maine to ride snowmobiles...its downright dangerous up there.

Jeff

We have ice and a skiff of snow. Two ice storms this week.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

We are just a little south of Caribou here (40 miles) and ice is all through the woods here and nothing is froze over. I crossed the beaver pond on snowshoes a couple weeks ago and I discovered to my horror there was only 1 inch of ice.  :o We had them storms Deadwood mentions and even more rain than in Caribou. 3 major ice Jams on 3 rivers, but subsiding now some. Expecting freezing rain/snow mix over the next 2 days. Worst January I ever seen in my life. At least back in 1981 the ground was bare and it was short sleeve weather. I helped my uncle burn brush Jan-Feb, got our snow and cold in march that year, killed our locusts as they leaved out in Feb.  ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

Joan, don't head our way. I have not used the snow blower for over a month and that was on a skiff of the white stuff. It is going to be tough for the farmers to plant this spring if we don't get some moisture.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

Want some of our 'moisture', was the wettest year on record (almost 60 inches rain). Seems every time I had to go to the woods it was raining. :D

Jeff

I set up a "snow cam"   shooting past our "tree worth the mess" tree, and into our front yard. Got the camera in the front window. Not using it for anything else so might as well keep it there.  The picture is replaced every 60 seconds.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

That scene looks great. Wish we had snow in WI.  Had some good snow before Christmas, but the temps have been above freezing during the day for most of a month now. There are plus's to that too, but still would like to have the snow.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

She's 32 F right here now and light snow, gonna get 15 mm rain and 1 cm snow by Saturday night. Not a big storm. I could brush the drive way off with a broom. :D I'de like to have a little snow so I can walk in the woods again. I landed on my back a couple times yesterday.

Jeff we need a 'smilie_butt_rub' smilie :D :D :D

Max sawdust

We have snow ;D
Not a as much as we should have but trails are open for snowmobilse, Driven trucks on the lakes to the ice house, XC skiing, and sleding with the kids.

matter of fact tonight is a bon fire and night time tobogan running.

0's - 10's at night and 20's in the day forever it seems.   Just peerrffeecctt :)

max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

SwampDonkey

Seen a video on TV news last night. Some lake to the south of me has a couple fishing shacks consumed by melting ice.  ::)

Deadwood

Het Swampdonkey,

When I was up to Caribou I heard on the radio that some place in Canda called Riley Brook was flooded bad. Just as their pumps started pumping out the water, another wind/ rain storm came in and knocked out their power...and thus pumps. Poor souls.

By the way if I knew you were only 40 miles south of Caribou I would have stopped in. At least something good would have come out of the trip!

SwampDonkey

Yeah I'm 2 miles from the Bridgewater/Centreville border crossing, exit route 1 by the Irving Mainway. I'm looking at the 'Big Rock' out my dining room window. ;D

solodan

Take a trip out west. We have had alot of rain here this year, and have alot less than normal,but above 8000' there is still about 10 to 20 feet on the ground. I was at a wedding in Minnesota about 8 years ago, and I was talking to some guy and told him I lived in California. He asked me if I knew what a snowmobile was.  ::) Then he was really confused when I told him I lived in the mountains and there was still snow on the ground when I left for Minnesota in the middle of July.

Deadwood

That reminds me of a story...

I was working with this guy from Pakistan and since Nationalities don't bother me, I was chatting up a storm with this new guy, getting to know his culture and all that. Well this mouthy, know-it-all, trouble-maker of the shop kind of guy asked me to ask this new Pakistan guy if he had ever seen snow before.

Snow? Pakistan is part of the Himilyan Mountains. Of course he has seen snow I said, it's only the roof top of the world!

Obviously this back-fired on the know-it-all who was not so all knowing afterall!

SwampDonkey

There's even snow and glaciers in Africa on Kilimanjaro,Tanzania in the Rift Valley. 19,335.6 ft. high, 220 miles south of the equator.

Long Link

Ever see the movie with Gregory Peck, 'Snows of the Kilimanjaro' ?

pappy

Where is the snow you ask????

Try Northern Maine!!!!  where Deadwood was is 50 miles south of us.

When he came up to this end of the state there had been a huge snow storm two weeks prior... We had 39" of the stuff over Christmas (in about a 24 hr. period)...Shovel..shovel..shovel.. It took the local snowmobile clubs a week to get the trails groomed out!!! :o branches laden with snow hanging into the trails what a mess... But we got it.. ::)

The week in between him coming up this way a couple friends from the Bangor area came up to ride.. From Monday to Thursday they had what I think will probably be the best riding of the winter!!! When they left it started raining and it rained for two days..

When Deadwood jumped on his sled there was three feet of unsettled snow full of water you couldn't even walk on the stuff with snowshoes... There was water holes every where!! and  it was raining... It just wasn't the right time to ride!!!!!!! ::) ::) ::)

Travis you didn't heed to the warnings on the radio about staying off the trails as they weren't safe... It was all over the TV and radio the Maine Fish and Wildlife were at trail intersections w/ road crossings  telling people not to ride... They were tired of rescuing stuck sledders!!!!!

Deadwood wrote
QuoteIt was not fun, but I did manage to get 260 miles on my sled for all that work

You must be one very strong and determined young  man who really likes sledding... Ya'll come back now ya hear when the conditions are more conducive to snowmobiling than submarining.. ;D ;D ;D ;D

As far as the conditions up this way today two foot base w/ fresh 4 inches of snow, groomed  trails and bright sunny blue skies...
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Timburr

No snow here!!

As a child, I can remember there always being snow somewhere on our patch for 6 months of the winter. Not now. Some winters there is no snow.

So far this winter we've had 3 scatterings totaling only 40mm (1½")

Not snow, but some interesting pics of freaky ice sculptures on Lake Geneva. Caused by 70mph winds at -7ºC (19º f) on Jan. 2005

Swiss ice storm link
Sense is not common

Deadwood

Yeah Pappy, I am very determined when it comes to snowmobiling. I certainly was desperate as my sled has never been on a trailer before and the fact that I hauled it 200 miles from home and rode alone the whole time.

I know what kind of snowmobiling you have up there and it is the best...no question there, but crappy riding up there this past week was a lot better riding than on nothing down here.

There was one final reason I headed up North though. I needed to get 150 more miles on my sled so I could take it in for it's first service. I wanted that being done while we did not have snow down here. The whole trip worked out well as my sled is all ready, and snow is on the way tonight.

As for the warnings on TV and radio, I honestly never heard them.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Timburr on January 22, 2006, 10:06:14 AM
No snow here!!

As a child, I can remember there always being snow somewhere on our patch for 6 months of the winter. Not now. Some winters there is no snow.

Dang jet stream!  ::) :(

Max sawdust

Quote from: pappy on January 22, 2006, 09:58:27 AM
Where is the snow you ask????
Try Northern Maine!!!!  where Deadwood was is 50 miles south of us.
As far as the conditions up this way today two foot base w/ fresh 4 inches of snow, groomed  trails and bright sunny blue skies...

Only good thing about that 39" of snow getting rained on is it will make a heck of a good base that should last a long time. 8)
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

SwampDonkey

Not many snow mobiles around here, neighbor and cousin have one each, hardly used. One outfit started up a Cat dealership down the road a ways back in the late 90's, but it didn't last. I haven't road one for 25 years.  ::)

Thank You Sponsors!