iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need info on running with no muffler

Started by PawNature, August 07, 2007, 05:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PawNature

First thanks to all the help I have received from many different folks here on the forum.
The studs on my 13hp exhaust broke off. I know i will need to have them drilled out. Problem is i have some sawing I need to finish. Will running the engine without an exhaust system hurt the engine.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

ADAMINMO

I don't know this for fact but have heard that it can cause problems due to the fact that on the intake stroke of your engine it is pulling in a cooler air then when it has the exaust on it.I have heard that it can crack the piston or the piston walls due to the cooler air rushing in on a hot piston.With the muffler on there it is pulling hot air on the intake from the exaust.Like I said though I don't know this for fact but have heard it.

flip

You can run it for a limited time.  The engine does need some back pressure to keep scavaging going.  The muffler also pulls heat from the head.  I wouldn't cut for more than a few hours at a time though.  And wear your hearing protection :)
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Burlkraft

Why not just 1 pain free day?

PawNature

Quote from: Burlkraft on August 07, 2007, 06:14:25 PM
Ain't got no duct tape.... :D :D :D
Seems it don't last long with the heat of the exhaust. Super glue doesn't work either.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

scsmith42

The other issue that you have to be concerned about is if you're running hard w/o a muffler (or exhaust pipe) and you suddenly shut down, a blast of cool air hitting the exhaust valve can warp it.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!