iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandsaw Mill Recommendations

Started by thiggy, October 11, 2005, 11:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thiggy

Last week I ordered a WM LT15 with the 15 HP engine, but due to logistic concerns I cancelled the order today.  I am on the verge of re-ordering, but have started looking at the TimberKing 1220.  These two machines seem to be about equal in their general specifications and price range.  I would appreciate recommendations from those of you familiar with either or both of them.  What are the pros and cons of each?  Which have you purchased or would prefer?  One of my concerns is the overall length of the mill, due to storage space.  The LT15 requires the addition of a 6'6" extension to use the towing kit, bringing the total length from 13 1/2' to about 20'.  I can't tell from the TimberKing literature if it also requires an extension to use the towing kit.  Does anyone know?  Thanks 
Sow your wild oats on Saturday night.  Sunday morning pray for crop failure!

Tom

There will be folks who will know but......   Why don't you look in the For Sale section at the bottom of the forum?

thiggy

Tom, I'm uncertain about your point in referring me to the For Sale section?
Thanks

Tom

Because there were two late model LT15's for sale in there.   Good prices too. :)

Don K

Thiggy,  I can't speak for the Timberking, but wouldn't trade my LT 15 for anything but a bigger WM. Don't get me wrong either, my mill has been everything I have needed so far. I would just like to get into more sawing than just for personal use. I have pulled boards off a WM many times before I got mine and thought I could not rest till I had my own. I recently built my own log house and my hickory cabinets came from logs i bought myself. The man that sawed them also built them for me. Talk about pretty. As far as the extra bed section for towing, you will need it if your going to cut anything over say 10.5' anyway. That gives you a 17' sawing option for checking.

To give praise where it is due, the WM folks at Newnan, GA were very nice. It was one of the most pleasant purchases I have made in a long time. They even shipped me a engine cover free after they told me they didn't make them for the 15. Just showed up on UPS truck a few days after I got home with my mill. 
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Gary_B

Well Im a proud owner of a TimberKing 1220, I bought the mill about 2 years ago and must admit I am very pleased with the mill, it does everything that I exspected and more. When I ordered my mill, I had it delivered to my house. The representive that bought the mill out, set it up , and we loaded a 24 inch Cherry log on the mill , and he showed me everything, from beginning to finish and afterwards, I repeated the process, while he corrected me on any mistakes
The best advice I can give is check with Timber King, they keep records of sawmill owners and maybe you can go out and watch one in operation. Same as the LT 15 try to find one in your area, and go from there. 

thiggy

Don, Gary  Thanks for your comments.  My opinion from reading the literature and viewing videos about both brands leads me to beilive that the choice between the WM and TK is primarily a matter of choice over small differences, and it sounds like I would be pleased with either one.  The TK is priced a few hundred $ less than the WM, but there is a 12 - 14 week delivery time, whereas I can pick up a WM below Hattisburg Ms next week.  (I will be using the saw in Jasper Co.)  Don, just out of curiosity, where is Thomasville?  I am in B'ham.

MartyParsons

Thiggy, Yes you will need to add the 6' 8" bed extension to install the trailer kit on the LT15. We have sold many trailer kits for the LT15 and have had no problems with the mills or the trailer packages. The total length of the mill with hitch is 290" ( 24' 2") Cutting length is 17' with the extra bed section. You need to add the bed extension to balance the weight on the axle. I also comes with a jack with a wheel on the hitch to roll the mill in the shop.
Of course I hope you chose WM  ;D but you will need to make that decision on your own.
Thanks!
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Tom

I've seen those little LT15's put in the back of a long-bed pickup by one person in about 3 minutes.  I'd almost rather dothat than have to buy a trailer tag.

Part_Timer

I bought a small trailer instead of the trailer package.  THat way I could use it to haul logs and other stuff as well as the mill.  The economics seemed better to me.  It also fits in a shortbed truck with no problem.

best of luck with your search

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Don K

Thiggy, sorry so late in replying. Thomasville is about 3 hrs or a little less from B'ham. I am a about 60mi south of Selma on Hwy 5 or about 100mi north of Mobile on Hwy 43. They both split in Thomasville.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

thiggy

Don, I was pleased to meet you at the Peterson tent yesterday.  I am sorry that I did not have time to stay and chat.  I had just sprung for a Baker 18M mill and needed to get on the road back to B'ham(day at the office Friday).  I had driven to Moultrie on Tuesday, looked around, kicked a few tires but went home empty-handed.  I got about half-way back to B'ham and kicked myself for not making my mind up that day.  So Thursday my wife and I got up early again and drove the 300 miles back to Moultrie.  Tonight we will be towing the mill to our farm in Miss.  I can already smell the pecan sawdust!!

DanG

Congratulations on becoming a mill owner, Thiggy.  Sorry I didn't get to meet ya.  I was probably in the parking lot fixing my truck at the time. :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Don K

I was wondering why you wuz buying that blue LogRite tool, You done bought a mill to match it!!    ;D  ;D

Congrats and good luck. Hope to see ya later. O.K. on the hurry too, them Peterson boys would saw a couple of boards every now and then.   ;)  :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!