iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just got 30" alaskan mill for christmas, chain recommendations please

Started by ontario026, January 01, 2006, 01:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ontario026

I just got a 30" alaskan mill for christmas, I already have a new 30" oregon bar (3/8" x .63 if I remember off hand...)  The saw is an 044 that is muffler modded,  I know that it is going to be somewhat underpowered, but I am not looking for high production, just to rip up a few logs here and there for material for my amateur woodworking...   

I generally always run chisel chain on my saws, and from what I have seen of ripping chains, correct me if I am wrong, but they are always based on chisel chains, correct?

Seeing that I am going to be running a "less than ideal" sized saw should I be looking at running a full skip chain to minimize drag through the wood?

Any opinions regarding chain suggestions would be greatly appreciated, please "go buy a bigger saw" suggestions, since unfortunatley that is not an option at the moment...

Thanks guys
Matthew

ontario026

I probably should add I mainly plan on dicing up hardwood,  as for size of wood, mostly whatever I can get my hands on, but I would estimate most should be probably less than approx 20-24"

Matthew

Minnesota_boy

Each cutter removing wood requires x amount of horsepower to pull it through.  Fewer cutters will help.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

leweee

Mattew....sharpen some of that full comp.chisel chain at 90 degree top plate angle & 55 degree hook angle....20" is about all thats left after you mount the alaskan on that bar....full comp should work fine ground this way. Try it on an old chain & let us know how it works....Rakers set at .025" ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

clyde

Thank You Sponsors!