iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

saw dust sticking

Started by fivedogs, December 15, 2011, 10:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fivedogs

how do i keep the sawdust from building up and sticking to the wheels on my hudson  band mill  wd 40 or  cooking  spray i have heard helps  any other suggestions ? thanks  fivedogs

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I don't have a Hudson, but would using a leaf blower or air hose every now and again help? I blow the sawdust out from away from my blade wheels about every hour.

Welcome to the Forum 5dogs!

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

redbeard

These scrapers are factory installed on my mill but i think they would be easy to add to any mill they really keep the belts clean its just a 3/4 nut welded to saw head and some all thread with a 2'' long sawzall cut down the center and a couple of nuts tightened against each other to keep from vibrating off. The scraper is some phelonic electrical insulator material similar to fiberglass. They last for quite awhile . hope this might help. 

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

5quarter

Welcome 5dogs...The hudson has tires for bandwheels, right? I don't think you'll want any lubricant on the tires and risk having the band slip on you. Maybe try dish soap and water  with a nylon bristle brush while the engine is idling.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

fivedogs

thanks for the reply  i meant to say the wheels on the track system  build up  with sawdust  any help with this  problem  would be great  but thanks for the input on the other "wheels"

redbeard

Can you add some stiff rubber scrapers on the wheel truck framing? if there open yes use cooking spray and WD-40, I spray my wheels with WD-40 helps keep the pitch off.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

bandmiller2

Fivedogs, is it causing a problem cutting or does it just bother you?My bandmill has "V" wheels rideing on rooftop angle iron,sawdust builds up to a point then just flakes off,I quit worrying about it.Suppose you could use an old circular sawyers trick a wood block "V" on the bottom and a point on the end that fits in the wheel.Sometimes cleaning the track ahead of the wheels will do the trick. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

york

fivedogs,what TH did to solve this problem,they tack welded a piece of 1/8 in. metal to the saw head that is just above the track wheel and this deflects most of the sawdust-said most-Bert
Albert

cypresskayaksllc

I get a lot of buildup on the belts. It doesnt seem to effect the cut. The problem I have is getting buildup under the belts. I dont think that effects the cut either but it does add vibration and that cant be good. I have to stop when the vibration get to be noticeable and clean the grooves out. Its not that big of a deal. Ive gotten pretty good at it. Pine is what does it. I cut a lot of slash.
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

never finished

I had the same problem. I cut a peice of ruber off of an old outside rug  put some peal and stick magnet on the back of it. stick it on the frame between the front and back track wheels. It needs to be wide enough to cover the angle iron track but not catch the short welded on stops. The saw dust on the track comes from the blade guide. Something else that helps is to squirt wd-40 or any thin oil on the bearings of the wheels, whitch will run down on to the track. (no  more pushing through bubble gum.   

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum "never finished".  How about a new thread and an introduction.  It looks like you have plenty of equipment, and what is this about "retiring"  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

5quarter

Frank what is the difference between regular angle iron and rooftop angle iron?
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

eastberkshirecustoms

I believe Frank is referring to its orientation ^ and not L

bandmiller2

Eastberk got it right its just how you locate the angle iron.There are two ways to cure the problem first is guards to prevent sawdust from getting on the wheels/track the outher is a form of scraper to remove it,or boath.Sometimes a dry lube spray on the wheels will help but it dosent last.My bandmill builds up thin patches of sawdust but it flakes off on its own and doesn't seem to bother the cut. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

mandolin

Welcome, FiveDogs. I have the same problem on my Hud-Son. Whatever you do, DON'T put any kind of oil on the bandwheel tire. Find you a toothbrush sized brass brush (Wal-Mart has them in sporting goods) and mount it where the bandwheel tire will run against it. You might have to cut a odd angled block of wood and mount the brush on it and then mount it on the mill. This works pretty good at keeping the bandwheel clean.
2008 Hudson 228
1945 Boice-Crane Planer
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor
Husqvarna 455 Rancher
Dehumidification kiln
Complete cabinet/furniture shop
Professional turkey boxcall tuner

never finished

I did a lot wire brushing before I figured out the fix. I didn't do a very good job explaining it, but look at guids on the out put side and that is where the sawdust falls on the track from. It amazed me how much could build up on 1/4 inch of steel. I saw mostly syp and it gets sticky fast!. The peice of rubber that I put on is 3" wide and lays between the wheels. When your cuting 1" stuff you have to wipe the rubber guard off before you make the last cut. Maby that will help. I know a picture would be better but I bearly can type. I haven"t even figured out the smiley face yet.
  M.M. this took quite a while. I'll do the intro. when I have plenty time and the frustration level is way down.     

Thank You Sponsors!