iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Car vs log truck

Started by Ianab, September 11, 2012, 10:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

As Homer would say "DoH"

http://www.commercialmotor.com/big-lorry-blog/how-not-to-collect-firewood-an

The trucks are running on private forestry roads so don't have the normal weight or length restrictions. So he was running an all up weight of 86 tonne. Didn't notice the car until he pulled over 5 kms down the road. The car occupants had already baled out and were sitting on the side of the road when the truckies went back to look for them. Somehow no one was injured.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

beenthere

Wow!
Guess the truck driver doesn't look in his review mirror often, or at all.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

I can see something like that happening. The idiot had no business doing 80+ on that road and no radio. Probably all the truck driver saw in his mirror was dust.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Okrafarmer

Amazingly, almost exactly this same story occurred here in South Carolina about 5 years ago. I came across it in person. However, it was on one of the main highways. I was coming down US highway 25 from Hendersonville, NC, toward Travelers Rest, SC, and north of TR on 25 is a log yard. The highway is four lanes, divided two and two, and the speed limit is 55 mph. There is a sign warning traffic that trucks regularly enter the roadway, but the log yard is kind of around a right-hand curve out of sight and not obvious to the casually deployed.

I came on the accident shortly after it occurred. A minivan (Chrysler, I think) had hit a long log that was sticking out the back of a semi-trailer. The log was sloping down from the truck, toward the road in back, and must have been sticking out at least fifteen-twenty feet. I'm sure it had the obligatory red flag on it. . . .  :-\

Anyway, the lady driving the mini van struck the log at high velocity as the truck was just picking up speed a few yards down the highway from the driveway it had just pulled out of at the log yard. The log entered her windscreenshield right in the middle, and the minivan was going so fast that its momentum propelled it all the way up along the log (suspended by its roof) so that the end of the log popped out the back window. The van was totally suspended, all four wheels off the ground, when I inched past the accident scene.

I figured someone had probably died, and I was sick to my stomach thinking what if the minivan had been full of little kids, as so many of them are (including mine!). That night, or shortly after, I was at church, and mentioned it to a friend of mine who was a highway patrolman, and asked him if he knew about it. He said yes, it was amazing, there was only the one lady in the van, and she was not hurt. The log missed her by inches.
smiley_confused
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Warbird

Yikes!  I can't believe no one was injured.

ouachita

In 1961 a crew member on a USFS TSI job was injured (really dumb minor injury) and was being carried to the hospital down a very dusty road on the Mammoth Lakes District, Inyo National Forest.  They were following a log truck and in the truck's dust cloud.  They lost control and totaled the USFS truck.

Note:  I stop until all dust clouds have settled.  It's crazy to drive in a dust cloud, smoke or fog with zero visability.

Charles Westmoreland CF

lumberjack48

I hated hauling tree length wood, i felt it was an accident waiting to happen.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Ianab

No way you would be allowed to haul that on a public road here, but in that area the logging roads are private, they even have overpasses / underpasses to take the trucks over the public roads. So the road regulations on length and weight don't apply, and the trucks don't need to pay road tax as they never run on public roads.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

clww

Oh My! :o
That could have ended much worse, I suppose.....
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!