iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer Battery Light and Alternator Belt

Started by ncsawyer, May 15, 2015, 09:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncsawyer

My mill is practically brand new and only has 15 hours on it.  I noticed this evening that the battery light flashes every time I disengage any of the hydraulic levers.  It also flashes sometimes when I release the back and forth control for the head after traveling back to the front of the mill after a cut.

My old Woodmizer didn't have an alternator, it charged by a stator (like a lawn mower), so I don't know if it is normal for the battery light to flash when doing certain functions with the mill.  Have any of the other Woodmizer owners noticed this with their mill?

I also noticed this evening that my alternator belt will be lucky if it makes it  until I get the rest of the order I am working on finished up tomorrow morning.  This is the second alternator belt I have been through in 15 hours.  We worked for half a day at the dealership when I bought the mill the correctly align the drive pulley.  It shredded the first belt in about 10 minutes.  We slid the drive pulley as close to the engine as possible to get it to line up with the alternator, I guess it's still not lined up right, but I don't think there is any more adjustment in the drive pulley. It's as far as it will go in that direction and it looks like it needs to go a little bit more to get the alternator and drive pulley lined up. 
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Chuck White

Is the tension correct on the alternator belt?

The biggest issue is alignment.

There has to be something you can do to get "near" perfect alignment of the pulleys!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

flatrock58

ncsawyer

I have a 2001 WM LT40 super I bought last summer.  My battery light blinks when I run the motors all the time.  It has not caused me any problems that I can see but I am not sure if it is normal.  I guess it could be a ground problem.  My alternator belt is fine and the battery stays charged.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Ox

Could it be the light sensing the momentary hesitation of the voltage regulator in the alternator as it switches between different charge rates?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

drobertson

Seen it before, battery connections and a good ground on the under rail.  Now the alternator is a different issue, if not charging then that makes a little bit of sense too.    Simple fix,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

MartyParsons

Hello,

That alternator belt needs to be aligned correctly. You should be able to tell. One side of the belt will pull off if not aligned.  We had the same issue here with that same diesel. I have been checking them ever since and have not had any more issues. Yanmar D35
I will try to post a picture of the pulley and post it.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Thank You Sponsors!