iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cat 518c brakes

Started by Justalogger, February 05, 2020, 06:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justalogger

Just put new brakes in the rear end and wanted to know if anyone had any ideas on being able to reach up above rear end to brake bleeders to bleed the brakes... just ain't no room between it and the bottom side of fuel tank to reach in there with a wrench. Thought about dropping rear end down some to be able to but it would pull against brake line hooking up to rear end and brake it. just seeing if anyone had any ideas thanks.. 

mills

Mine has drive line brakes, but I have a manual that covers some of the older models. I'll check it when I can. What year is yours?

mills

My books don't say anything about rear brakes. The section on front brakes only says to remove/bleed the air from the system. It doesn't say anything about how. Sorry I couldn't help.

Some of the repair sections are detailed, and some are vague, but almost all of them start with "1. Remove cab."   :D

Justalogger

Mine is a 518c it has the emergency brake that works on the drum on back of transmission. Actual brakes are inside both rear ends but I figured it out took the wheels and tires back off and gives enough access to reach in by the fender and boom to open bleeders on top or rear end... thanks.. yes we had a 518 that the brakes did work on drum on transmission easy to catch fire if someone likes to ride em 

mills

Lot of extra work, but I'm glad that you got it going. And I second what you're saying about drive line brakes. Back when I first got mine caught it on fire due to the brakes not completely releasing. 

Thank You Sponsors!