iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finding Fine Friends on the Forestry Forum

Started by Linda, January 01, 2003, 06:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

DonP !!  That's why I wrote the line "I know there are more" I was having one of them moments where I knew I was forgetting someone or someones.

Don and I got to spend a little time together at Logging congress in Madison Wisconsin. He came up from Horseloggers on a day trip. Horselogger had some other things to do and was not able to come along so I missed him. Don's visit that day was actually the high point of logging congress for me. He came up to the MFRA booth and said "Hi Jeff". I know I had a befuddled look on my face trying to figure out who he was. He let me squirm just the right amount of time and then said "Don P". We stuck our hands out and instantly the "do I know this guy?" turned into a comfortable familiarity.

We walked around the displays and talked as friends. I was sorry I had the responsibility of the MFRA booth that day because it really shortened our visit.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don P

I worked for a gentleman one time who described a friend as a lone white oak in a sunbeaten pasture, I loved the description.

When Horselogger walked onto my jobsite I was pouring my heart out just like to an old friend inside of about five minutes. We had a trying year and it was always with a grin that I would hear Horselogger's diesel turn the corner onto our road. I knew at least for a little while we would sit under that oak.  

Jeff I was real tempted to get a room in Madison and hang out awhile, in that big a crowd I know just how a deer in the headlights feels. I let the meaningless pulls of life drag me back toward work. You know, how many people in their last days do you hear say "I wish I had spent more time at work"?
On my way back from Madison I swung by Horselogger's project and got there at almost dark, I had missed them. So I scrawled a note on a joist and moseyed on back toward my job about 45 minutes away. I pulled in to get gas at the town between us and when I tried to restart my truck...nothing... the starter had decided that it was done, its an automatic. Who comes driving by? Horselogger, coming to town pick up a pizza for Amy's birthday. He runs me home and I return the favor by making him late getting home on an important day. I told my wife what had happened and she let me know that I was sending Amy flowers...now I've never been a real flowery kinda guy so I sent her some work instead. :D Hope they grow big and tall.

From my line of work we've been on the road alot. I've joked that if you need to know where a parts house is I've probably broken down there and know the way. I've told Michelle to take comfort in the fact that no matter where she is there is more than likely a friend within a day that would come in a pinch. On several occasions we've rolled into a former clients yard to spend the night, or a week, on a moments notice needing time and a place. I feel that same way about the folks here and hope to have an opportunity to meet more of you.

johncinquo

Had my first "in person" meeting saturday.  Met Ken "Hawby" Hawblitz at his house south of me and watched him with his woodmizer cut up a log.  I took my brother in law and his boy, along with my son and we all had a great couple hours.  The boys liked the noise of the saw, but quickly discovered eating icicles was more interesting.  Ken answered my questions, showed us how the mill worked, showed us the ole family farm, and even let me run a couple passes with the mill.  I can't think of many people who would let some guy show up at their house who they have never seen before and have at the controls of one of their most expensive toys.  Must be some extra special people on here.  We talked like fellas do, about tools, saw, mills, work and women.  With varying degrees of emotions on all topics.  I imagine we coud have spent all day goofing off and yacking away on one topic after the next but the boys get restless and we hit the road before wearing out our welcome.  With all those flashing "trees" in MI I am looking forward to some great road trips and meeting some great people.   Thanks again for the time and hospitality Ken, and I look forward to our next visit.   JB
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Thank You Sponsors!