iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Opportunity missed

Started by Crossroads, January 10, 2019, 12:35:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

So I was contacted last night via Facebook to find out if I was still in Lincoln county. I told the guy I wasn't, but am planning a trip back there soon to take care of a few jobs. I asked if he was interested in scheduling a day to mill some logs. His response was that he was looking for someone to mill for them full time. They helicopter log old growth fir and cedar and milling cuts into their logging time. I don't think the opportunity would have stopped me from moving to Idaho, but it may have delayed the move for a year. I'm familiar with the outfit as I've sold them shake bolts before. The interesting part is that these old growth logs are all salvage. They were fell in the 30'and 40's the cedar didn't have any value and the fir was only taken if it was perfect and the rest was left behind. Some of it rotted, but a lot of it is as solid as the day it hit the ground. In 1994 I worked for an outfit that was salvaging these old buckskins. When I first started for them I was running a D6, but when they found out I had experience running a yarder they bought an 071 madil, then I ran that. I'm surprised they are still finding more of them 25 years later...
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

Yup, sounds like full time for as long as it may have lasted....catch 22.

As it is you are one year ahead on your plans for the rest of your life.  Sounds to me like you made the right decision at the right time.  Win....win.  smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

charles mann

What outfit is it? You can msg me if you dont want it in the public. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Darrel

When I left the blueberry farm in Lookingglass to move to the east side of the cascades, there was a guy that had about 500 acres of fire killed Douglas fir, cedar and sugar pine. He offered me $430 mbf. That offer came very close to delaying the move.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Resonator

In business weigh the options, and decide what is best not only short term, but for long term success, and make decisions with the current information you have to work with. If he had contacted you before the move, then it would have been a missed opportunity. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Crossroads

Yup, it's interesting how life works out. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

longtime lurker

Quote from: Resonator on January 10, 2019, 11:37:31 AM
In business weigh the options, and decide what is best not only short term, but for long term success, and make decisions with the current information you have to work with. If he had contacted you before the move, then it would have been a missed opportunity.
I like this, it pretty much sums up my attitude.
My ex wife was always going on about mistakes made or wrong decisions taken years before, because not every decision is perfect, even if it was the right one at the time. It used to drive me nuts. Misssed opportunities or smart decisions made that later turn out wrong are part and parcel of life. 
Idaho is where you're supposed to be, for now anyway. Don't look back.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Crossroads

Thanks for the encouragement, things have started out a bit slow here, but things are starting to come together 

Thank You Sponsors!