iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gas engine (sawmill replacement)

Started by Nebraska, April 15, 2024, 08:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebraska

I haven't been exactly thrilled with my  sawmill motor as of late. I know it was probably the most logical choice when the previous owner restored it.  Just getting tired of working on it and fighting it, while standing on the sawmill frame.  It's 6 years old and the Chinese rubber parts are deteriorating, parts aren't really handy to grab locally.  I have the support of my spouse to replace it and keep current Predator as the backup. 
What horizontal shaft motors are made in the USA? I was searching and Honda motors came up listed on Alibaba.  Just looked like mass produced here in China ready for export.  smiley_thumbsdown

My brother in law worked for Kawasaki in Missouri as a young man before he became a rural mail carrier.  So I'm kind of leaning that way. 
Looking at the 22 hp range as I'm not sure a 25 would fit up there.  Honda 690 would be a direct swap and just a matter of pulling the trigger. 

A different mill would be nice, but this is a hobby.  Any motor thoughts, suggestions, voodoo?

Southside

I have three of the Kohler 25 HP, CH730?, non EFI engines, I would stay away from the EFI personally -one on the 35, one on the edger, and one on a welder / generator, very happy with them.  I had to rebuild one carb and replace one starter in the past 20 years and those are the only repairs I can think of. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

If I was in your shoes, a Honda would be a pretty easy choice.
Too many irons in the fire

scsmith42

It's hard to beat the reliability of a Honda.  They would be my first choice.  Kohler would be second.  
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

SawyerTed

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

DDW_OR

my 2 cents

cast iron cylinders, last longer and can be re-built
cost more
"let the machines do the work"

Nebraska

DDW_OR

most modern engines are made as cheaply as possible. and not to be re-bored

when i had to repair the engine on the Club Cadet riding mower, the mechanic could  not.
a replacement engine was about $900 less than a new John Deere riding mower.
 i went with the JD and have almost no regrets

the JD regret is the way the new oil changes are done.
what looks like a large oil filter is the oil change. $50 to $75 each
so i purchased the parts to convert to the old way with 4 old type filters, total was $40

"let the machines do the work"

Nebraska

Well I didn't know if one brand had them vs the other, I haven't had time to research between the brands.  Supposed to have bad weather overnight so I just got in and supper eaten, been moving stuff and parking things in as tight I we can. I wish I had a bigger machine shed. 

21incher

The commercial 25.5 hp Kawasaki on my zero turn has cast iron liners and a really good air filtering system. Great engine but sucks down 2 gallons of gas per hour under load. I think most brands have a commercial rated engine series that is made to be rebuildable and last several thousand hours. Trouble  is finding a distributor that will sell one. I went with the carburetor model for simplicity but efi has better fuel efficiency at a price.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

hedgerow

I think most consider Honda the gold standard. Seems like I have a lot of smaller gas engines on this farm. I have had very good luck with the Predator engines mostly the 6.5-13 HP ones. Haven't ran the Predator V twin. In the larger v twin engines I have ran Kohler, Kawasaki, Briggs and Honda. I have been around the Kohler EFI had a thousand plus hours on one on Grasshoppper mower no issues with it, Sold it and went to a Grasshopper with a Kubota diesel. So far no issues with it. All have stood up well just spark plugs, oil and filters. I don't run E gas in any of my small engines. I never have a gas issue. I keep my engines inside when not in use. Seems the only one I had issues with was when my sprayer tender trailer was a open flat bed I had a fair amount of problems with the pump engine even though I kept it covered. Use a enclosed trailer now and engine is always under a roof. Never have any issues now. 

sawguy21

The Kohler Command and Briggs Vanguard engines are top quality engines produced in the U.S. Parts and service are readily available. As far as I know neither offer a horizontal twin in their lower cost lines. Kawasaki and Honda are also excellent choices.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!