iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

possible tree seedling container liner

Started by Lanier_Lurker, January 26, 2009, 09:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanier_Lurker

I have some cylindrical containers that I intend to use for hardwood tree seedlings.  To facilitate extraction of the tree and rootball at planting time, I want to use some sort of lining material (rolled up like a poster) inside the cylinder that can be easily pulled out and unrolled to expose the rootball with minimal trauma.

I have a leftover roll of roofing felt, and I was thinking of using it for this purpose.  However, I am concerned about what sorts of chemicals may be in the felt that could leach into the soil inside the container and possibly be toxic to the tree seedlings.

Any ideas or opinions?

Radar67

Just use some rolled up newspaper. Most papers have moved to soy based ink, so that shouldn't be a problem. I would shy away from the glossy, magazine type pages though.

I shred the magazine pages and mix them into compost, seems to work that way.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

Could just use a peat pot and sink the whole shoot'n match in the planting hole.  With ground moisture the pot will soften and break down. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!