iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw head raise before returning

Started by CCCLLC, March 20, 2018, 09:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCCLLC

Best option to raise head with Accuset 2 at the end of cut. 

Percy

For me, what works best is just using the drum switch to raise the head the desired amount as long as I haven't inadvertently left it in auto up mode. Heh. 
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

CCCLLC

Thanks Percy. I have only 5 hours of "logged" time with the Accuset 2. What happens if I do raise w/drum switch while in Auto? Can I get back to my next cut accurately if I do raise? Been using my older  lt40hd for 27 years, but this is all new to me. Obviously I'm trying to over think this.

petefrom bearswamp

Been doing this for years with little problem
Seems if I raise too high the accuset loses the setting but otherwise all is good.
I dont use auto up a lot so this hasn't been an issue.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

YellowHammer

I have AutoUp button #2 set to 20 inches.  I use the drum switch to manually raise the head a half inch or so after the cut and return the mill to the head end.  However, when I'm loading a new log, or need to raise the head a large amount for edging, I hit button #2, so it will raise the head while I'm loading the log onto the arms and I don't have to wait for it.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

CCCLLC

Great tips guys! Drum switch seems to be best, just don't over do it on height.Thanks

Stuart Caruk

If you were using the auto up, you would have to be in manual, and choosing the reference height with one of the 4 values. The setting for accuset to know where the height was for the last board would be lost.

When using auto down, I engage it at some point during the cut. That tells Accuset where you are at. At the end of the cut, bump the head up to clear the board if you aren't using dragback, hit return, then tap the down button to go to the stored height and further down the thickness of your board and half the set kerf value.

If I inadvertently leave autodown and lose the reference, I come back to the start and with the blade off and the teeth just clear of the log, I jog the blade down to kiss the stock. From there engage auto down, then bump the head up, return off the stock and tap the down lever to keep going as normal.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Thank You Sponsors!