iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shedding Animals

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, February 28, 2018, 07:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

All dogs shed. We have 2.
"Emma the House Dog" is a normal shedder. No complaints.

"Jack the Sawmill Dog" is a different story.

We give Jack baths, brush him and its like he's a shedding machine.
I vacuum rug 4 times a week and put towels on my truck seat for him to sit on.
Nothing is wrong with him, annual Vet visit.

He just sheds like CRAZY!!!!

When we do brush him, sooner or later ya get tired and he does too but the hair keeps coming and he has no bald spots....he has thick hair.

Do Y'all know of any medicine?

Note: Jack is a dog that just showed up one day at the sawmill last August and has been by my side ever since.

This is Jack the Sawmill Dog.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Percy

My 11 yearold mutt, Toppo, sheds like she is getting paid for every hair she loses. I brush till Im blue in the face and still she  just keeps on shedding, gets worse in late spring. I bought a Dyson cordless  vacume. Takes the ouch outta cleaning up the hair...
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Jeff

Harley is a never ending shedding machine. Thank goodness we have hard surface floors. You can sweep everyday and get enough hair in a week to make another Harley.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on February 28, 2018, 08:31:28 PM
Harley is a never ending shedding machine. Thank goodness we have hard surface floors. You can sweep everyday and get enough hair in a week to make another Harley.
I know exactly what you're saying. 

PC-Urban-Sawyer

I read this topic title and thought it was Poston complaining about folks who want to keep animals (especially GOATS) in sheds instead of letting them run free outdoors and in the house...

Shows what I know.

Herb

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Jeff

Magicman

I wasn't ready for that.  Yes, I had seen the picture, but clicking on it ain't right.....just ain't right.   :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have been shedding. I use to hsve a 4 head,
Now I have a 6 head.   :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on February 28, 2018, 10:57:54 PM
I have been shedding. I use to have a 4 head,

Southside

What are you feeding him?  Diet before medicine, especially true with older dogs.  Is his skin dry?  Do you add any olive or fish oil to his food? Even with really good commercial dog food some dogs can have allergies or are not able to process some of the vitamins and minerals and it shows up in the coat and skin.  Other dogs can do fine on Ol'Roy.  The grain free is all the rage but my vet disagrees with it - all in moderation he says.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Southside

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on February 28, 2018, 10:58:32 PM
Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on February 28, 2018, 10:57:54 PM
I have been shedding. I use to have a 4 head,
Dude - you quoted yourself!!!  Purple Drank??  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Well, shedding it not, I'm glad you took Jack on the crew👍 3 of our dogs shed "normal", but dog #4, Brutha Nige, my lab shorthair cross, sheds about 3 times as much as the other 3 combined. I bought a brush called "The Furminator" that works quite well, I can brush enough hair off of him to fill 2 paper grocery bags! The Furminator lifts and removes the undercoat, the dog will only tolerate a few minutes at a time because it makes their skin a bit tender. It would probably work pretty good on goats as well, but Poston appears to be more of the hairless type of goat so there may not be a need😊
Too many irons in the fire

Jeff

redbeard

Our dogs are bred to survive in the harshest weather, but we let them in every night in the warm house. We have to let them in  mainly because they talk too much and we can't sleep. So there coats don't know it's winter and they shed year round.
Just a thought.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Runningalucas

Good on you for taking in the old guy!!!  We've got 3 shedders; a German Shepherd, Malamute, and a Mexican Xolo.  All three shed.  We've given up on trying to control it! 

We clean a couple times a week, and have a great supply on Lint rollers, lol.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Runningalucas on February 28, 2018, 11:51:24 PM
...... and have a great supply on Lint rollers, lol.
We recently bought 2. :D

Southside

He is probably better company than the last wanderer that showed up at your mill.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

With these two and my wife's three cats, all I can say is the Roomba robot vacuum has paid for itself.  Ours runs every day, it takes 10 minutes a day to clean the Roomba in the evening. We do vacuum with the regular vacuum once every week or so.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

coxy

i have 2 beagles and they shed bad my wife told me no more dogs that shed or shes moving  out 8) :D :D  her sister has a lap dog looks like a poodle  that has hair like a human it never sheds just grows  i hate little dogs they are all yappers   my next dog is going to be an Australian Sheppard  or a golden retriever that way the couch will be to small for them ;D  

Delawhere Jack

You couldn't name him Spot, or Rex, or Buddy. You had to name him Jack.... ::)

I googled for an image of a dog in a wetsuit and found this....

https://sheddefender.com/

You're on your own getting in on the dog.... :D

Jeff

Quote from: coxy on March 01, 2018, 06:01:17 PMmy next dog is going to be an Australian Sheppard or a golden retriever that way the couch will be to small for them
HA!  YEA!  RIGHT!

coxy

:D :D that dog is spoiled rotten 

Bruno of NH

Smiley sheds so much I could build house with the hair I sweep up on a week :D
She had some doggy dental work today
With her over bite she needs two top teeth pulled because they are making holes in her lower teeth.
Then need the holes repaired on the lower teeth.
I need to get this done so she can still defend herself if need be.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Yep.....had to name him Jack.

When Jack gets tired at the mill, he climbs up in the Magic Chair and takes a nap.

Jack started out at home having his own bed.

Then when Jack looked into Julie's eyes and she said..." Ya know, I like this dog"....well Jack was "Moving on Up".

Kbeitz

Quote from: coxy on March 01, 2018, 06:01:17 PMi hate little dogs they are all yappers  

I always thought that to until I got a Jack Russel ...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Southside

That's the only way to have them David. Our beagle will just about push me out of bed if she thinks I am taking up too much room, and she is one that wandered onto the farm one cold January day a few years back. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!