iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poplar slabs cut last week

Started by Seaman, April 05, 2013, 10:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaman

I am told this is a Silver Poplar. I have only seen two, I have cut both in the past six months. The huge branches start just a couple of feet from the ground, and I was told by the logger this one came from the woods, not out in the open. Gonna try pics
This is pretty stuff!

A Lucas Full!

End view

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

opticsguy

OK! OK! OK!

I want one . . . either the mill or the log!!!

TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Seaman

Optic, The guy I cut it for wouldn't even let me have one of the slabs less than retail! They were pretty! Cut two of them five inches thick, out of a 5'x13' log, must have weighed 800lbs each.
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Nomad

Quote from: Seaman on April 05, 2013, 11:39:39 PM
Optic, The guy I cut it for wouldn't even let me have one of the slabs less than retail! They were pretty! Cut two of them five inches thick, out of a 5'x13' log, must have weighed 800lbs each.

You're right; that is pretty wood!  I get people like that sometimes.  They want slabs cut 4, 5, or 6" thick.  I have never figured out just what they do with 'em.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Jay C. White Cloud

I will let you guys that are into slabbing wood in on a little secret, if you can joint, (timber frame style) pickup the knack for green woodworking, and have a large city near buy, High end custom kitchen, restaurant, etc, places will pay top dollar for "butcher" style harvest tables and islands.  You need the thick tops, 100 mm to 200 mm (~4"-8")  I have seen them sell for as much as $30k.

Regards,

jay

P.S.  the deliver fee is included for that price, but your correct...it's like moving a dead elephant!!!!
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

WDH

That is yellow poplar, also called tulip poplar, and is more importantly Liriodendron tulipifera.  Nice slabs.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on April 06, 2013, 08:06:06 AM
That is yellow poplar, also called tulip poplar, and is more importantly Liriodendron tulipifera.  Nice slabs.

:)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

scully

I love slabbing ! Thing is I always want to keep them for myself ! I took down a walnut tree a few days ago and slabed the but log {only 6' to crotch} I made 7 nice slabs 4 of wich were 2" thick ,I had a guy just buy all of them ! I did not sell them cheap !
I bleed orange  .

Thank You Sponsors!