iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

PT deck treatment

Started by Raider Bill, September 20, 2016, 05:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

So after 9 years of sun and rain abuse I pressure washed the Tenn house deck last week and have to put some kind of treatment on it. Any suggestions? It would be very convenient if the product can be bought at the big blue store.
I'm thinking of a solid stain but open to suggestions.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Al_Smith

I used Thompsons with colored stain on one of my rental houses .It seems to be holding up well .The decking was old though,maybe 10 years with no preseratives .The PT stuff had soaked in passed the surface of the lumber .

Raider Bill

I used Thompsons a couple times in the past with not so good results. I generally like Sherwin Williams products but the store up there is difficult to deal with so I'm looking for alternatives.

OneWithWood

Thompson's never worked very well for me either.  I just finished restoring our south deck which was very weathered with cracks and some delamination.  I used a product called Rocksolid by Rustoleum.  It is a coating applied to the wood that encapsulates it and leaves a nice suface you can walk on with your bare feet.  I believe it is some kind of epoxy.
Porter paint makes a similar product called Renewal.  Other paint companies have similar products.  Check out the paint department at Menard's, Lowe's, or your local big blue store.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Raider Bill

Lowes is about it around there.
My covered floor decking is actually holding up well, certainly needs some kind of treatment but my main concern is the side decks, posts and 2x's. In the original picture those vertical 6x6's and 2x12's take a beating as they face a strong wind/rain coming up the valley and have some pretty big cracks.
This ones a shot of the back before the wash.

rjwoelk

I have been using the permachink stain and they stand behind their product.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

samandothers

I used Olympic Maximum which is a semi transparent stain.  It was a while back since I used it but will seek it out again. Lowes is the vendor.

Raider Bill

I looked at Olympic Elite which is  oil/urethane tinted. Any thoughts on oil vs latex?

WDH

I will have to come and see this first hand, have an adult beverage, eat a huge ribeye steak, and think this question over carefully  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scsmith42

Quote from: WDH on September 26, 2016, 10:01:17 PM
I will have to come and see this first hand, have an adult beverage, eat a huge ribeye steak, and think this question over carefully  :).

That sounds like a wise approach!

Bill, I've had great success with TWP products.  You can have them shipped in too.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Magicman

I can't make an inspection until toward the end of October.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

I've got a freezer full of ribeyes and jars full of freezer water ;)

WDH

Looks like you need a Major Consultation with many Forum members there to collaborate on this difficult question  :).

How many ribeyes and how much Freezer Water?   :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raider Bill

Lucky for us resupplies are readily available if more is needed smiley_beertoast digin1

Be a good chance to try my new sous verdi style steak cooking!

samandothers

I vote oil.
I vote adult beverage on the deck.

OldMasterTech

I did a new PT deck with WoodRX earlier this summer. Read a lot before splurging as it's a bit costly but I'm impressed and glad I used it. My only comment is that it's a bit slippery.

They ship it in a standard garden sprayer so now I'm in the good used sprayer business!
All gave some ** Some gave all
Never forget

Magicman

Slippery walking surfaces can be neutralized by "misting" the area with sand after applying the sealer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!