iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tesla new Electric Truck

Started by red, November 15, 2017, 04:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

There are charging stations at Rest Areas on the Florida Turnpike.  I haven't seen them anywhere traveling I-95 though.
Perhaps each Municipality is going to have them soon or in the Planning.

brianJ

Destiny USA in Syracuse has about a dozen parkingspots for recharging.

Brucer

The City of Rossland (population 3500, more or less) has had 2 public charging stations for several years now ;D.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

4x4American

Quote from: Crusarius on November 20, 2017, 12:23:35 PM
eastview mall, in Victor NY. has a Tesla charging station in the parking lot. From a distance it looks like about 10 spots. I have seen it being used.

Aviation Mall in Queensbury NY has one too, I thought it was one of those vacuum stations until one day I seen a family plugging in a tesla and then going into the mall to conduct serious business.
Boy, back in my day..

Ron Wenrich

They're pretty sparse in my area.  There is one in Harrisburg, the state capital.  Hershey has 4.  2 are at the Tanger's outlet mall.  One is at Hershey Park, and the other is at the Hotel Hershey.  All the others in the area are at car dealers.  The city of Philadelphia has a grand total of 13.  My county has none and none are in several of the adjoining counties.  There are 22 in the state of Delaware.  North Dakota has none.

Here's Tesla's map:  https://www.teslarati.com/map/

My understanding of the Tesla truck is that it is using 4 Tesla motors for power.  Those are rated at a 192 kW usage.  I looked at some other sites, and they are speculating roughly 1200 kW battery capacity for a 600 mile trip.  Estimated cost for the battery is $100/kWh or $120,000..  The estimated electricity usage is about .5 kWh/mile. 

The Tesla megacharger is rated at 1.6 Megs.  That's what is needed to charge a Tesla in 30 minutes for a range of 400 miles.  I'm thinking that the average truck stop is going to need quite a few of these chargers.  To produce 1 Meg of electricity with solar, it would take 4 acres of solar cells.  It would vary due to location.  1 charger would need minimum of 6.5 acres of solar cells.  That's a lot of land needed to power the megacharger with juice through solar.  Especially when you consider that you're using prime real estate to construct one.  Maybe I'm missing something.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

red

There are many solar panels above parking lots or on rooftops . Our local UPS building has six million dollars worth of panels on the roof top. Also colleges and shoping malls . They seem to be showing up everywhere.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Crusarius

here is a crazy idea. Inductive charging stations built into the long lonely desert roads. charge your car while you drive :)

The roads would be solar cells.

Gearbox

Ron there will never will be a free lunch . The trucks may work for line haul freight but never for heavy freight or logs [ to heavy ] . Trucking company' s may load light going out then have to haul 40 000 back not going to happen .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on November 21, 2017, 06:44:35 AM
The Tesla megacharger is rated at 1.6 Megs.  That's what is needed to charge a Tesla in 30 minutes for a range of 400 miles.  I'm thinking that the average truck stop is going to need quite a few of these chargers.  To produce 1 Meg of electricity with solar, it would take 4 acres of solar cells.  It would vary due to location.  1 charger would need minimum of 6.5 acres of solar cells.  That's a lot of land needed to power the megacharger with juice through solar.  Especially when you consider that you're using prime real estate to construct one.  Maybe I'm missing something.
Well, in California, years ago, Home Depot separated from the grid as I was told by a PG&E employee that actually did it in my area.  They run off of fuel cells.  Apparently, HD got such a screaming deal on natural gas that it was a no-brainer for them.  Until Dark Silicon becomes the standard, fuel cells may be the interim solution.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Grizzly

The boys and I were talking about this some on the weekend. A couple of things were brought out.
Electric cars were first an idea about 40 years ago? But it simply wasn't practical because battery technology wasn't up to the job. About 30 years ago or so I remember a car platform being tested but due to battery weight it could not pass any safety tests. 10 years ago battery technology improved to the point that an electric car became practical for urban areas where the car would primarily be used for commuting to work and back or simply for use within a short distance from home. Now it has improved again where electric cars have a range of use where they will become practical for many more uses.

The truck has come on the scene and its journey to practical use will be shorter than the cars as it can follow an existing technology trail. But it is still some distance away from being able to take over from diesel or natural gas. Like has been lifted out; distance between service points for diesel is one number and distance between natural gas service points is another. The diesel network has been established over 70 years? The natural gas network wasn't there in 2001 when I was all over North America but I see it in many truckstops now. So as technology improves over the next 20 years, where will we see the electric truck? Who knows? But it will certainly be different than what we see now.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Ron Wenrich

I think the hydrogen hybrids are a bit better fit for trucks.  Easier to fuel, and longer range.  Use the solar to make fuel.  The hydrogen acts as a battery for storing energy.  Less weight for the battery array.  But, Tesla isn't making hybrids.  His business model is to make and sell batteries and to fuel cars. 

To replace cars and trucks to electricity would take 1,111 Terrawatts or an increase of about 29% in electric production.  I know there is a bridge necessary to get to that point.  That's a lot of infrastructure that needs to be constructed.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

starmac

I have heard that Tesla would be out of business in 24 hours if govt money was cut off, true or not I do not know.

The self drivibng cars have been on the market for at least a couple of years. I have a friend here that has had one for that long. Great car, powerful and fast, but you can't make it to the next town, so worthless here as far as I am concerned.
Iirc it has been at least a couple of years since on of Elon Musks personal friends bought one and got killed in it in Florida, I think. Apparently the sun was shining on the side of a white semi van just right and the cars computer didn't recognize it as something to slow down for.
As far as electric trucks becoming the norm, hmmm I doubt many of us will live to see it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Stuart Caruk

I want to see how everyone plans to actually charge these electric vehicles if they ever become mainstream. Tesla recommends a 400 amp panel at 240 volts in most houses. In my area, most houses have 200 amp services, some only 100 amp. What happens when 30 houses on the block all get Teslas? The service into the area and transformers is simply inadaquate for the need....

Onesee twoseeies, sure no problem. Mainstream... good luck.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Ianab

The "home" charge stations don't need to be as fast because you plug the car in overnight. Recharge in 30 mins needs a LOT less current than recharge in 10 hours. So the home charge station probably draws about as much power as a kitchen stove, just for a few more hours. You need a decent feed because you come home, plug in the car, then start cooking dinner.

Yes the power utilities will need to adjust to suit the extra load and different profiles. But not everyone is going to buy an electric car next week.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

John Mc

Quote from: Ianab on November 22, 2017, 04:02:32 AMRecharge in 30 mins needs a LOT less current than recharge in 10 hours.

Good point, but I think you expressed it backwards: Recharge in 30 mins needs a LOT more current than recharge in 10 hours.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

starmac

Would anyone really want an all electric vehicle for their only vehicle?? I can see too many scenarios where I would not.
My friend here that has a tesla basically can not leave town, because it doesn't have the capacity to get to anchorage even if there was a charging station there. As far as I am concerned it is a high priced conversation piece. when it breaks he will also have to send it out to the lower 48 to get any repair done to it, making it an even bigger and higher priced conversation piece.
Maybe for folks in different areas, that never, ever have a need for a vehicle in an emergency it would be different.

brianJ

@Stamac    I agree a Tesla in Alsaka is illogical.    In the lower 48 not as much.   I am Thankful for theose who seek neighborhodstatus rather than frugality or otherwise known as early adopters.    Their varied and broad experiences are needed to work out the bugs of this new technology.

red

UPS orders 125 Tesla Big Rig Trucks
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

plantman

I saw a analyst on TV talking about how Tesla is way behind the curve with electric trucks. Mercedes is already producing them.

starmac

The Mercedes trucks are smaller city trucks, heavier than diesel and have a payload of 12.8 tons.
120 miles is all they can do, so pretty much city half day trucks.

The tesla trucks run 200 grand a piece, maybe I should grab a handfull.

Ianab

Quote from: plantman on December 19, 2017, 10:14:46 PM
I saw a analyst on TV talking about how Tesla is way behind the curve with electric trucks. Mercedes is already producing them.

To be fair Electric cars and trucks have been around for a LONG time (late 1800s?). According to Wikipedia in 1900 40% of the vehicles in the US were electric. Not to say they were very good, but that new fangled gas stuff was pretty unreliable, and gas stations weren't common.

It's just recently that with improved technology, they have become more practical, and have started to catch up with gas engine vehicles.

For a local delivery truck, a 200 mile range is probably plenty, especially if it's a lot of slow speed driving that electric vehicles are so good at. Neighbour delivers ice cream to local shops and supermarkets. His whole run might be 100 miles, but takes all day with all the stops at every corner store and unloading.  Now the "line haul" guys, who might drive 200 miles, swap trailers, and drive straight back? Not quite there yet for them. A hybrid truck might be more suited.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Grizzly

referencing starmacs eld thread.

Our longhaul guys who can take a load anywhere from 1200 miles to 3600 miles (my longest run was from China Lake AFB to Goose Bay, Labrador) and fill an 11 hour work day need range in the 650 mile area in order to make best use of allowed hours. Then they'll need to plug in during their 10 hour rest period to be ready to do it again. We're not there yet but i see lots of opportunity on the eastern seaboard stateside.

starmac

I guess my longest trip one way was Daytona beach Florida to Anchorage Ak. I do not recall the exact miles, but a tad over 5000 iirc. I won't say how long it took, but it would have shorted out an eld. lol

Grizzly

We call those the good ol days starmac.  ;)

BradMarks

In reference to less reliance on fossil fuels and more use of "renewables" in vehicles, HOW is it going to be done??  Here in Oregon it will rammed down your throat, no kidding, at taxpayers expense. By executive order (the governor - bless her >:() has mandated that in just a couple years, ALL new home construction WILL have a charging station (each home). Tremendous increase in housing costs at a time it's becoming less affordable for so many. And how do we increase the % of electric vehicles on the road?  State gov't orders 50,000 of them over the next decade (my/our money) and will construct a statewide grid (again my/our money) of charging stations to service them.  That isn't free enterprise at all and lends well to the "out of business in 24 hrs" without subsidies statement.  Oh, and you want to buy a new gasoline vehicle, come to Oregon and pay a "privilege" tax beginning Jan 1.   :new_year:

Thank You Sponsors!