iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Up/down threads for head position need wiping/scraping

Started by Ox, June 05, 2015, 04:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ox

How do you guys keep the threads clean?  I'm using 1" B7 threaded rod, 1:8 thread pitch and it seems to clog up with sawdust and makes it really hard to turn.

Those of you out there using the acme rods, do you have the same trouble?  I would think with the larger threads it wouldn't be near as much of a problem.

I've seen accordian type bellows that look like the bellows boots on the rack and pinion steering on cars being used.  I'd put it on over the threaded rods and the rods would stay oiled and clean.  Are these split down the middle for easy installation?  Any leads on where to buy any?  Is it a good idea?  Anybody ever use them?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Larry

I think my old Kasco used a similar size rod.  It had power up/down so about all I ever noticed is it would go up a bit slower when clogged with sawdust.

My procedure was to clean the threads at the beginning of the day...sometimes I might go two or three days.  Next step was to apply some kind of lubricant.  I tried a bunch.  Plain paraffin wax work ok.  Its called Gulf Wax and can be found in the canning section of some grocery stores.  PAM...the cooking spray works as does silicone spray for garage door tracks.  I thought about White Lightening, its a chain lube used on bicycles.  I think about any dry lube would work.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

mason44

You can use a bellows sleeve to cover, but some of them can be pricey

Den-Den

Mine has 1" 6tpi acme threads.  I lube it with ATF and don't have issues.  It used to be manually operated; that was no fun and very slow but the sawdust did not seem to make it any worse.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Ox

I was just looking at rod bellows.  Can't afford those, I reckon.  Then I happened across shock boots.  Longer ones like you see on the lifted 4x4 trucks for the shocks.  How about stacking a few on top of each other?  Seems like it would work...
Cheaper too.  Around $12 a pair for 12" long.  For less than $40 I may have found the answer to my troubles!  I can't think of anything I can make these boots/bellows out of, unfortunately.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

dustyhat

I run acme thread on my saw that runs the guide in and out, had the same prob you do then i figured out the shock boot idea and presto it works perfect just had to make some round collers to mount the ends on. you can use wood or any thing you want to work with. any color you want to.

dustyhat

O yes you can use plastic pvc to add them together about a two inch piece slid them on half way and put small screws in them hope that helped some.

Ox

Yep, helped a bunch.  I like different ideas because I'm not smart enough to come up with most things myself.
Thanks to everyone so far who shared their experiences.

Ox

Update - I got 8 12" long shock boots and tried them as thread covers/bellows.  No good.  Not enough movement between compressed and extended.  A complete waste of money for this application.  I ended up zip tying 4 small wire brushes on either side of the stacked nuts on the threaded rods for the head up/down to brush the sawdust off so it doesn't plug up the nuts and this seems to work fantastic for thread wipers/scrapers.  Just a proof of concept before I make it better down the road.  I'm hoping this information may help someone else who might read this.

Driftless

I had the same problem on my home made mill.  I ended up using 2.5" dust collector hose used in wood working.  Picked up 10 feet for about $25 at Rockler.  I get about 30" of travel before the hose starts bunching up.  So far I am pretty happy with it.  I also took an ice pick and heated it up and popped holes into the hose every 8" or so to allow ventilation and to let me spray in lube every so often.  Getting the length just right was also tough, you want it stretched out pretty far with the head all the way down to ensure you get max travel going up. 

Ox

Thanks for sharing that, Driftless!  I'll have to look in to it.  It may still be a better option than wiping/scraping.

And welcome to the forum!  Best place on the 'net!  :)

dustyhat

I feel its partly my fault ( ox ) that you wasted your money , I know it worked in my situation . and im sorry it did not work out for you. I guess I wasn't thinking of using it in longer distances such as yours , again I apologize .

Ox

No, no, no dustyhat!  It's absolutely NOT YOUR FAULT!   :)  It was a fantastic suggestion and I thought it might work.  There's never any telling until you actually do it.  I will find other uses for the leftovers, don't fret about that.  I can see homemade shifter boots in the future to replace the rotten ones on my equipment so I can do away with the buckets over the shifters to keep rain out of the gear cases.  Some well placed hose clamps and it'll work just fine.

I really like the way the wire brushes are working out.  I think I'll keep them.  ;D  They peel the sawdust/oil paste right out of the threads and no more binding.

I think I'll take 4 wire wheels the size you put on a drill and mount them on a bracket top and bottom on either side of the nuts running on the threaded rods with a bolt and jam nuts.  When that spot wears out I can just loosen a nut give the wire wheel an eighth of a turn and it'll be like new again.  I expect brass ones to last me for years.

I appreciate the suggestions and ideas, guys.   smiley_wavy

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

kelLOGg

Consider Larry's suggestion of paraffin. I use it on my mill in an entirely different application. Oil and sawdust won't stick to it.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

bandmiller2

Dry spray lube, and an occasional blast with compressed air should keep it clean. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

I like your wire brush idea but a stiff nylon brush might be easier on the treads.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!