iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucas Mill

Started by kdf101, July 28, 2009, 10:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Quote from: kdf101 on August 04, 2009, 11:14:26 AM
I get the idea of the ATS, adjustable at both ends to compensate for uneven ground.  How well does the WPF handle slightly uneven ground?  Or does it need to be on a permanent or semi-permanent pad?  Is there any difference in cut quality between the two?

The Lucas and ATS design is probably easier to set up on uneven ground as you can adjust each end stand to suit the terrain during the initial setup.

With the WPF you need to use some boards or blocking of some sort to get the rails parrallel and close to level. No big deal, but you need to do a bit more messing about during the initial setup and get the mill supported at maybe 4 points along the rails length. It may be easier with a Hi-Low setup, but mine is Low-Low with both rails on the ground. There are limits as to how much slope you can adjust for of course (with all the mills) but having one corner cribbed up a foot no big deal.

You will want to get the as level as you can, may mean swiveling it to face across the slope. Just easier than milling up and down hill. Hard work one way - you have to hold the carriage back the other. A couple of inches slope to adjust for taper is not a big deal, but a real hill gets old fast. A slide slope you just adjust the mill to suit and work normally.

I allways set up out in a field, which is seldom flat around here, or on a rough track etc. Never had the luxury of a pad.  ;)

I would think the WPF design may be slightly more accurate as the rails are fixed and more secure, but the ATS / Lucas configuration cuts straight and accurate - so accuracy is good, and even better.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

islandlogger

I set my WPF up on all sorts of terrain, it does take a little extra messing about with blocking etc but it's not bad and never put me behind, it really is a versatile unit. As far as comparing the cut quality of Lucas vrs Peterson, from what I have seen of Lucas lumber it seems just as good, I'm still partial to the Peterson though  8)

Hokiemill

KDF, I run an older Lucas model 6 with a 16hp B&S.  My decision of which mill to buy was made for me when I came across this used Lucas for a price I couldn't pass up (I think it was between $3k and $4k).  I run my Lucas solo and only do very small quantities - maybe 1500 bdft a year, although I would like to find the time to do more to keep my solar kiln filled at all times.  The Lucas does everything I want it to do, but if I were trying to make a living from the mill, I would definitely make some upgrades.

The newest lucas mills utilize the "sidewinder" to move the sawhead left and right - the older mills don't so you have push the sawhead side to side.  Petersons have used a sidewinder technique all along.  Don't compare the lucas to the Peterson wpf - that's apples to oranges and is reflected in the difference in price.  Lucas to ATS is a more appropriate comparison. 

I never doublecut because it's just too much work for me solo.  Someone mentioned an adaptation to rotate the sawhead while resting on the log - this is actually available from Lucas as an add-on.  I have one sitting in my shop that I haven't installed.  My jointer is only 8", so any board wider than that only complicates my woodworking life.  The petersons double cut easier.

I never knew about the extra winch on the ATS for taper adjustment.  That was always one of the biggest positives of the lucas.  With a one man operation and no support equipment (other than my logrite peavey and a truck winch), lifting one end of a log and shimming it adds more work.  When I set up a log, I adjust it horizontally on the bunks so the pith is parallel with the rails and likewise the path of the vertical blade cut, then I adjust the mill vertically with the winches so the pith is parallel with the top of the rails and likewise the path of the horizontal blade cut.  Easy peasy.

It all comes down to what you want to cut.  I'm a woodworker so 2x12s aren't important.  But I do wish I had an 8 inch model.  I also want to add a slabbing attachment so I can cut some nice big slabs for table tops.  If money was no concern and I was buying a new mill, it would probably be an 8 inch wpf.  But money is always a concern.

Good luck with your search.

ErikC

With my peterson WPF, I like the ground to be pretty flat, but it doesn't need to be a pad or anything. Any old landing, field, road etc is fine. As mentioned by others it is more for my convenience than what the mill will or won't do. Fighting gravity by setting up on a slope without blocking is way more work, and I would think probably dangerous. 
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!