lucas mill saw doctor needed

Started by Mountain Sawyer, April 01, 2014, 08:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountain Sawyer

Are there any saw doctors that anyone knows about in eastern us
Always enjoy the outdoors that God has made

POSTON WIDEHEAD

We all are......if you don't believe it, just ask us.  :D

Seriously......what's going on Mountain?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

dgdrls

Mountain Sawyer

hi poston i have a couple blades that i need retipped, one is missing a tooth and the other has been sharped down to the nub and i need them brought back to life, who would you suggest to fix them its a 10'' blade

Mountain Sawyer

Hey whats up with you DGDrls have you been sawing much lately.

scsmith42

Why don't you send them to Paynes or Menominee Saw (FF sponsor)?  I've worked with both companies and they are great.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Mountain Sawyer

We have been sawing about 1500 to 2000 bdft a day for the last 3 weeks and im down to two blades and it makes me nervous so i need to get these two fixed up so i want be so worried lol. hey SCsmith ive not heard of them where are they located and how much does it cost to get them fixed

dgdrls

Quote from: Mountain Sawyer on April 01, 2014, 08:53:09 PM
Hey whats up with you DGDrls have you been sawing much lately.

No sawing, but can't wait to start again ;)

Did you Try Menominee saw??

DGD

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Mountain Sawyer on April 01, 2014, 08:50:57 PM
hi poston i have a couple blades that i need retipped, one is missing a tooth and the other has been sharped down to the nub and i need them brought back to life, who would you suggest to fix them its a 10'' blade

A prayer.  :)

I believe I would invest in a new box of blades. I'm assuming you meant 10 degree not 10 inch.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Mountain Sawyer

Yes poston its a lucas mill 1030 its a 10'' circle blade

dgdrls

Quote from: Mountain Sawyer on April 01, 2014, 08:57:25 PM
We have been sawing about 1500 to 2000 bdft a day for the last 3 weeks and im down to two blades and it makes me nervous so i need to get these two fixed up so i want be so worried lol. hey SCsmith ive not heard of them where are they located and how much does it cost to get them fixed

So what have you been sawing, and how is the Lucas treating you??

D

Mountain Sawyer

Hey D ive been sawing chestant oak , white oak, and ash, and just 3 or 4 poplars, im only getting about three days a week sawing because either it will snow or rain but we have been doing alot of sawing . After i got over being really sore for a few days ive been enjoying myself

dgdrls

Good stuff,  you will have to post some pictures,

Best
DGDrls

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Most large saws (over 24" diameter) need special attention to tension the saw.  However, a 10" saw does not need such special work, so a good local shop will be fine for this saw, if they know how to handle carbide.  One clue on their ability (in addition to calling some customers) is to see how they protect the carbide teeth after they have worked on them.  Carbide is so brittle that they should be exercising special care so that the teeth are well protected from accidental hits. 

Check out FAST-SHARP in Locust Grove, VA, as they know carbide and follow good practices, and there may be others too.  They are in the same state as you are, not to far from Charlottesville.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

UN Hooker

That saw blade on the "10 inch cut" Lucas should be around 26" diameter - like my "10 inch cut" Peterson blade.       UN
Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

JohnM

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on April 01, 2014, 10:20:35 PM
One clue on their ability (in addition to calling some customers) is to see how they protect the carbide teeth after they have worked on them.
I think this is what the WoodDoc is talking about.   

I sent mine up to Quality Saw and Supply, in West Enfield, Maine (45min drive for me).  I'm guessing Menominee has a similar service and there's likely someone close to you. ???
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Jeff

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on April 01, 2014, 10:20:35 PM
Most large saws (over 24" diameter) need special attention to tension the saw.  However, a 10" saw does not need such special work, so a good local shop will be fine for this saw, if they know how to handle carbide. 

Swing mill blades do need a special knowledge set. You can find all kinds of cases where a swingmill blade came back after being reworked and would not saw correctly. The saw doctor needs to know the application and the specs on how and where the carbides attach to the saw for that mill and blade design so when the saw pivots, the cuts align exactly the way they are supposed to.  With a general use saw, the carbide height is not critical. on a swnghblade, it is absolutely essential.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Grandedog

Howdy,
   Jeff nailed it. The outside dimension is critical on a swingblade. If the tip seats are not damaged, and the blade hasn't been overheated, it's just a matter of brazing in some new tips. We have re-tipping jigs available for your machine that makes it easier than what people imagine.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

tjhammer

I use paynes all you have to do is tell them what kind of saw it is and they will send it back sawing like a new one
tj
hammer

Jeff

So does our sponsor Menominee saw.  :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

scsmith42

Quote from: Mountain Sawyer on April 01, 2014, 08:57:25 PM
hey SCsmith ive not heard of them where are they located and how much does it cost to get them fixed

Cost wise it depends upon what they do to it.  I retip my own Peterson blades but send them off on occasion to be retensioned.  When they come back they cut like a dream!

Menominee (FF sponsor) is located in Michigan, Paynes is in Georgia.  Both are great companies, but Menominee has the added benefit of being a FF sponsor.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Mountain Sawyer

Thanks guys that was some awesome info that surely has me pointed in the right direction. Thanks again the sawyers here will never let a fellow sawyer down.

Seaman

I use a guy in WNC, has done great on my 8in Lucas blades. I will get his contact info today and send it to you.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Thank You Sponsors!