iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vancouver Island and BC mountains

Started by florida, May 09, 2019, 09:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

florida

We are soon off to Vancouver Island,(not the city!)for 3 weeks.  We like to let the road take us wherever it goes and we try to stay away from places that tour buses go. Not always possible but we do our best. We stay in B&B's and sometimes will rent a house for 3 or 4 days.  We are having a terrible time finding places to go that aren't tourist traps so could use some guidance. We would like, if we have time, to get to the mountains of BC but have no desire to visit the towns of Banff or Jasper. We typically travel about 100 miles a day so we see as much as we can.  
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

tule peak timber

I fished black cod out of Tofino 30 years ago and boy was it a pretty area. Bring your camera !
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Bandmill Bandit

You could spend the entire 3 weeks just on the Island/s but if you want to do some of the interior head up the #5 from Kamloops heading to the #16 and catch Wells Gray Provincial Park. It is rugged and beautiful country and does not attract the crowds that the national parks do. 

Its been a few years since we were in there. Its great place to do a rental RV for a week or so.
The camping is some of the most spectacular in the Province and the roads are good.       
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

florida

Tofino is on our list and I think we already have a 3 day house rental there right on the water. It's a very popular tourist destination now though.

Wells Gray Park sounds like just what we're looking for! My wife agrees with you that we will never get off Vancouver Island!
Retired now!

sawguy21

What BB said! However, good luck finding accomodation without reservations well in advance. Once you leave Parksville take 19A, the old highway, north to Courtney/Comox. The scenery is spectacular and the seafood....
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

tule peak timber

doc henderson

tule, that is a great pic, real shinny with a big ol belly and fish lips...  and the fish aint bad either! :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tule peak timber

Another longline pic from up Tofino way, another pot belly !

Magicman

Looks like you have always been attracted to "slabs" Rob.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

That looks like the real deal.  You have been there and done a few things!  I bet there is still a faint smell of fish on your hands, no wonder your dogs all love you so much!  best regards.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tule peak timber

Fishing yes.....From Alaska to Central America 

snowstorm

just outside of banff is a ski mt. you can drive up for free. the view is nice. the evening we went there. there was 3 black bear 20 or more goats and the same of sheep in the rd. in revelstoke there is a small logging museum up towards the dam. and a bigger one for the train. there is a big steam engine inside. vancouver is a big island . have been half way by road and all the way by boat

Stephen1

Head to Vancouver island, make your way to the north end, Port Hardy. Book the Ferry, book the 1st class lounge for 35$ more...you will not regret it. The ferry travels the inside passage to Prince Rupert. absolutly a life time trip,Takes about 16-18 hrs. It stops at 2-3 ports on the way, Haida Gai is a native island and yes a bit of a tourist area but only accessable by ferry. It is worth a day or two there if you can swing it.
Prince Rupert is a port town in the middle of no where on the coast. Book a fishing trip and see all the whales and marine life ( if you didn't see enough on your ferry trip) . Head to Smithers BC a beautiful little town at the base of a Mountain. 
On your way to Smithers is the "Alsakan Highway" Take it to Alaska, about an hours drive to see the Bald Eagles and Grizzlies fishing the Salmon in the Alaskan Rain Forest preserve. If the salmon are running it is unbelievable.
Drop in and visit Percy. I bet he knows more about the Salmon, 
come back down and head east on HWY 16 towards Smithers, Prince George and then Jasper. take HWY 93 from Jasper to Banff on the Ice Fields Parkway( do not miss this drive) It has been rated as the TOP ten Drives in the world. 
I lived and worked in Smithers and Prince George for a while and played tourist. 
I also lived in Jasper for 2 winters skiing the all the mountains. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

GAB

florida:
If you drop in and see Percy you will be in Nowheres, BC.
He is between Terrace and Rosewood on the E side of the highway.
He has an arched banner over his entrance that reads "THICK AND THIN".
Note: It is easier to see the banner if you are heading N.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

sawguy21

:D I have lived in B.C. most of my life and haven't seen anywhere near all of it. It is a big place and much is very remote. I worked in helilogging for a few years and got into some incredibly beautiful country hundreds of miles from nowhere.

rubberfish

Vancouver Island is 12,000 sq miles of greatness. A 3 week trip will be even greater. 
I know you guys will enjoy your holiday up here.
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

florida

My travel planner, wife, has now ruled out BC and says we'll have more than we can do on Vancouver Island. I'm a little bummed about BC but she always does such a great job planning our trips that I let her go. She does include lots of places she knows I'll love so it works out. The trip from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert sounds like something we'd both love. I'll pass all your tips on to her and see what we can fit in, everything sounds wonderful.  Our problem is time or lack of time. Too many places that we want to go but not enough years yet to get to them all. My advise to everyone is to go now, don't wait until you retire.  
Retired now!

btulloh

You guys will have a great trip no matter how you slice it.  There's a lot to see on Vancouver Island and it's a unique area.  You might even find time to work in a day trip ferry ride to the mainland.  Have fun and keep us posted!
HM126

florida

Looking at the ferry trip to Prince Rupert. Would we need or want a car when we got there? I'm going to guess that we would. This makes my head hurt! Lo! Too many places to go and too muc to see! Realistically this will be the only trip we'll make to western Canada as I had to agree to another trip to Scotland next summer and I'm trying to talk the boss into Alaska the year after that.
Retired now!

btulloh

Can't answer the car question.  Even if you stick to walking around for a bit in Prince Rupert, the whole ferry ride thing is worth it.  Mopeds maybe.  Bikes.

I think it will work out well once you get to the island and just let it unfold as it comes.  
HM126

Bandmill Bandit

If you go up to Rupert I May be able to get my son to show you places tourists don't even know exist. He's been up there for a 4 months and has found places his  brother in-law didn't know exist and he grew up in that region.  
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

florida

The boss is onboard with the inside passage suggestion!  I can't find what we want on the fare schedule so I'll be calling them as soon as they are open this morning.  BB- Even if your son couldn't show us around just some hints of where to go would be great!  What's he doing there for 4 months?
Retired now!

florida

Sadly it seems that the ferry to Prince Rupert only does daytime trips after 6/19  which is after we'll be back in Florida. We are now looking at a ferry trip to Ocean Falls or Bella Coola. Any thoughts on either of those?
Retired now!

Stephen1

Quote from: florida on May 13, 2019, 11:49:32 AM
Looking at the ferry trip to Prince Rupert. Would we need or want a car when we got there? I'm going to guess that we would. This makes my head hurt! Lo! Too many places to go and too muc to see! Realistically this will be the only trip we'll make to western Canada as I had to agree to another trip to Scotland next summer and I'm trying to talk the boss into Alaska the year after that.
A car in Prince Rupert might be usefull but you can rent one. It is a small port town. Get on the VIA train at Prince Rupert, take it to Jasper and then the train from Jasper back to Vancouver. about a 4 day trip. you will see some great mountains and scenery.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

florida

Stephan1

Thanks but Prince Rupert is out due to night only ferry trips until 6/19. Now Ocean Falls is out as well due to once a week ferry trips.  Looks like Bella Coola or nothing so we are working on that. Looks like an interesting place but even there it's going to be just an overnight turn around due to the ferry schedules. I sure wish we had more time!
Retired now!

rubberfish

I have a question. Your flight from Florida will be landing where in B.C.?
Bob

Stephen1

Time! We all need more. Have a great trip where ever you end up travelling.

florida

We will be landing at Seattle. Big price differencerwhen we got our tickets.
Retired now!

tule peak timber

The Victoria Clipper is pretty cool, similar to an airplane ride. I asked permission to enter the machinery space and got to "pet "one of their MAN diesels turning and burning at full tilt boogie. Zoom !

rubberfish

Quote from: florida on May 17, 2019, 06:51:40 AM
We will be landing at Seattle. Big price differencerwhen we got our tickets.
And you're walking to Canada? Give us a little to work with eh?  :D
Would a reasonable sized rental motorhome suit your needs?
Cruise in that for a couple days, stay where ever, then hotel it for a night.
Have a bath, get some laundry done. Then cruise for a few more days?
And repeat 'til you have to bring it back to Seattle and fly home.
You'll end up taking a two hour ferry ride over to Vancouver Island
and your adventure begins. Whale sightings are common as you
approach Active Pass. Food for thought. 
Bob

Bandmill Bandit

Heres a rental website for RVs in BC if you are interested. They are pretty popular across the country.

https://gorving.ca/find-an-rv/rentals/rentals-british-columbia/

florida

We're taking a ferry from Seattle to Vancouver but I don't know any details about it.
RV's are not in the picture. We already have B & B reservations for about half our time. I'm looking for places we can go off the beaten path on VI.  
Retired now!

btulloh

Florida, I don't think you'll have any problem getting off the beaten path on VI.  Once you get a little north of Victoria, you've pretty much accomplished that.  It was almost thirty years ago when I was there for a week, so I'm sure it's changed a bit, but most of VI is pretty rugged and undeveloped.  I was at Cowichan bay and had only a couple opportunities to poke around, but it didn't take long to get into some really interesting areas - both on the shore and west to the interior.  We stopped in Duncan for a few minutes and then drove over to Cowichan Lake on one little excursion.  Cowichan Bay was pretty much off the beaten path in those days.  Don't know about now.  I know there was a lumberjack bar there that some of us went to in the evenings a couple times.  There were some pretty rough lookin' characters in there, and that was just the women I'm talking about.  But no lives were lost.

Duncan - The City of Totems

Maybe y'all aren't big on just winging it, but that can work pretty well.  You'll probably get some good input from the B&B owners too.
HM126

tule peak timber

Quote from: btulloh on May 18, 2019, 07:48:32 PM
Florida, I don't think you'll have any problem getting off the beaten path on VI.  Once you get a little north of Victoria, you've pretty much accomplished that.  It was almost thirty years ago when I was there for a week, so I'm sure it's changed a bit, but most of VI is pretty rugged and undeveloped.  I was at Cowichan bay and had only a couple opportunities to poke around, but it didn't take long to get into some really interesting areas - both on the shore and west to the interior.  We stopped in Duncan for a few minutes and then drove over to Cowichan Lake on one little excursion.  Cowichan Bay was pretty much off the beaten path in those days.  Don't know about now.  I know there was a lumberjack bar there that some of us went to in the evenings a couple times.  There were some pretty rough lookin' characters in there, and that was just the women I'm talking about.  But no lives were lost.

Duncan - The City of Totems

Maybe y'all aren't big on just winging it, but that can work pretty well.  You'll probably get some good input from the B&B owners too.
Reminds me of Kito's Kave in Petersberg AK. ( The Lumberjack Bar part) :D :D :D

sawguy21

:D That is funny. There is so much to see and do on VI. If you have time Long Beach is an incredibly beautiful area (as long as the weather is clear).

florida

I'm sure we will find plenty to see. We try to stay away from people and have little to no interest in  cities. I think my travel planner has us booked up now so we'll go wherever the roads lead. Thank you all for your very helpful advice without which we wouldn't be going to Bella Coola at all! I'll let you know how it goes.
Retired now!

btulloh

Have a good trip.

Hopefully you can post some updates as you go along. If not, we'll just have to wait til you return.
HM126

Magicman

Where would you go on VI to see Puffins?  Preferably on the North end.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

florida

Magicman,
Last year in Scotland we were just poking along as we usually do along the north coast and saw a large head, Dunnet,  in the distance. We drove out to it, poked around and  walked over the top to the other side. There were puffins everywhere! It was really fantasitc for me as seeing a puffin has been on my bucket list since I read about them when I was 6.  We talked to a photographer from Glasgow who had been going there for 30 years to photograph puffins and he said he'd never seen so many nor seen them so early.

I'd love to see more.
Retired now!

florida

The big day has arrived and we leave in an hour.! The heat index here was 114 yesterday and summer is just starting. It was nice putting coats in our bags! Can't wait for cool weather and beautiful scenery!
Retired now!

sawguy21

Well, if you call the 90's cool. :D Have a good trip and be sure the camera is loaded and locked.

florida

As seems to be always the case getting to VI was a long trip but we made it. The ride from Seattle to Victoria on the ferry was so foggy that we saw nothing until we were a mile from the dock we got a rental car and headed north and stopped an hour later for lunch in the Cowinchin area. Our first taste of the beauty of VI and we were impressed! After lunch we continued on to Parksville, a mundane name without much romance about it but another beautiful spot. The view from our room at the Tigh-Na-Mara resort is breathtaking! We are looking over Rathtrevor Beach  at the Strait of Georgia with the mountains of Lasqueti Island in the background.

>

Retired now!

sawguy21

8) Keep the pictures coming, it is an incredibly beautiful area.

Stephen1

florida

We made the trip to Bella Coola the past 2 days. Gorgeous scenery but 20 hours on a ferry in 2 days is all we want of that! We saw whales, otters and  dolphins as well as lots of logging. I'm amazed at the " slopes" they can cut as some of  look more like cliffs than hills! 
We are now at a B&B right on the water in Port McNeil. Our hosts said there were 24 traveling Orcas right off their beach last week as well as a bunch of humpbacks! we stopped yesterday evening to see the Worlds Largest Burl just north of here. 
I'll add more photos later as I have to wait for them to move from my phone to my IPad.

Retired now!

btulloh

Glad you're enjoying your trip.  Thanks for the updates.

Are you managing to stay "off the beaten path" or have you even seen a "beaten path"?

Neat place.
HM126

Bandmill Bandit

Anahiem Lake is an awesome lake/valley just east Bella Coola. If you have the time drive in and have look around and may be have a picnic. you will not regret it.

sawguy21

The road might give them grey hairs and religion. :D

Bandmill Bandit

LOL Yea Saw guy, to you and I  that road is an "improved" high way but to most others it would be called a bad logging road. I went in there with an Olds Delta 98 in 1992 with my aunt and uncle from Germany. They loved it but my aunt thought I was completly nuts.  

GAB

Quote from: sawguy21 on June 06, 2019, 08:06:17 PM
The road might give them grey hairs and religion. :D
I know what you mean.  I experienced it in '17.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

florida

The beaten path has come to us I'm afraid! We stopped in Telegraph Cove where there used to be a sawmill. No such luck, lots of old buildings but no mill. We went on a whale watching coat tour yesterday in Nanamio of all places. Saw these California Sea Lions riding logs on a log boom with the pusher boats right behind them

Retired now!

florida

I'll add more photos later. Internet connections are bad to terrible. 
Retired now!

florida

We're back as of last night and had a wonderful time. Vancouver Island is a fantastic place to visit with lots to do. I took too many photos to post but will  get a few up over the next day or so.
Retired now!

florida

Near Port Alberni we found Macleans Sawmill.  Now a National Historic site it was a working mill until 1965. The mill building is still there and is in good shape. Lots of the smaller mill buildings and houses are still scattered around the site. The mill pond still has a few logs in it and up the hill is a steam donkey and huge winch, both mounted on huge log skids. Apparently until a few years back they had volunteers  sawing lumber on weekends and even operating the donkey and winch. All of that was stopped years ago due to lack of funds  and now there is only one young woman working there to answer questions and help with school field trips. Tons of old equipment everywhere but little to no maintenance going on that I can see. My ever  patient wife let me wander, look and touch for many hours.

Retired now!

florida

More photos

I can guess what it does but have no idea what it's called

I couldn't find a name anywhere I could see on the saw but it's big. Looks like it would take at least a 30' log and has a double blade.

Retired now!

sawguy21

The top pic is of a lumber carrier used for moving lifts around the mill yard. That saw is big, you should see some of the logs it had to deal with. Did you see any of the huge off highway logging trucks? They keep rebuilding the old Autocars and Petes because modern trucks won't handle the loads.

florida

I thought those were for carrying logs but I see now that they are for lumber.

We didn't see any off road trucks but sure saw plenty of them on the roads! We did see the logs, some trucks had as few as 5 logs on them. The logs were bigger up north and by the time we got south to Port Renfew the trucks were carrying 50 or more logs at a time. The trees are amazing, I've never seen trees that large in my life.

Retired now!

florida

Here are the blades for the headsaw.

Retired now!

rubberfish

Florida. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed my part of our country.  8)
Bob

florida

Enjoyed is an understatement! My wife and I are discussing whether VI was the best place we've ever been. The weather was perfect and the scenery was all beautiful.  Also met some of the nicest people we ever  met.

Retired now!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

florida

Thanks, it's hard to take a bad photo there!

Retired now!

Stephen1

It was nice you had some great weather, not always so sunny and dry on the west coast

florida

It was very chilly up north and cool in Tofino but very warm in Sooke and Victoria. One 30 second sprinkle the entire trip. It was funny listening to locals complaining about the heat when it was 80! I told them we called that a cool day in the winter in south Florda!

Tofino is no longer a sleepy fishing village either. We stayed, courtesy of our oldest son as an anniversary present, at the Wickaninnish Inn on Chestermann Beach. It's got to be the most expensive place there. We had a suite for $600.00 a night but the view was amazing. We were fish out of water there!

Retired now!

sawguy21

My mother grew up in central B.C. and didn't like temperatures much over 70. I teased her that it was too hot if she had to take her sweater off. ;D I am glad you saw the island at it's best.

btulloh

Thanks for the updates on your trip and the photos. It sounds like you had real good time.
HM126

florida

Sawguy1
At 70 I'm in some sort of coat! When we work st the beach on cold winter days there are always people in the water. I tell my guys that it's either Canadians or Germans! Apparently 40 is beach weather in Canada!

Btulloh-We did. We've just spent the last hour watching VI You Tube videos if that tells you anything. 
Retired now!

sawguy21

:D No, 40 is not beach weather even here in Canada. Mid 70's this evening, perfect weather to be out in shorts and t- shirt

Ianab

Quote from: florida on June 21, 2019, 10:34:39 PMApparently 40 is beach weather in Canada!

Heck I've been out surfing in under 40F weather. Had to melt the frost off the car first though. I wasn't even the first one paddling out, you could see the other guys footprints in the frost on the sand :D

Having said that it was a beautiful day, no wind so the water was glassy, but a decent winter swell coming in from the South. So we got out for a paddle, before the crowds. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

florida

sawguy21
Of course I'm kidding about the Canadians and beach weather but there were guys surfing in wet suits at almost every beach we went to. Sticking my hand in was enough for me!

Ianab
Never been a surfer but even if I was I doubt I'd get in water that cold. I don't even get in our pool until it's 80!
Retired now!

Wolfgang Rother

Hi i been there in 17 and 18.
In my opinion some of the best places are.
Ucluelet, long beach, english man waterfalls, Kennedy lake,
Sunshine coast ist too fall in love.
So many things to see in BC/AB.
The trip in 18 was in an old camper and it was the trip of my life.

Thank You Sponsors!