iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I heard

Started by trimguy, July 28, 2020, 08:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trimguy

I heard that if they follow you home you can keep them. 8)

On another great note, if this works it will be the first time I've done pictures without a " coach ". Maybe I'm getting this whole tech thing.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Andries

Whoa, what a haul!
Yeah, no matter what I might have heard, I'd be keeping all of that too.
Powermatic shaper and planer, right? 
And that six inch Delta jointer looks kinda tiny next to all that hefty iron. 
Do you have 3 phase to power all that?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Southside

You still need help posting photos Danny?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

Nice score. Good stuff. 

Congrats on the picture thing too.
HM126

trimguy

No 3 phase power , I will be looking into a converter. I don't know anything about them , but remember a thread on here some where to educate myself. There was money change hands put this was a steal. He is a cabinet maker and got a deal to up grade and gave me a deal on this stuff. Always "need " more tools and that creates more work. 3 phase power , clean out the shop , rearrange the shop. But theres no way I could pass this deal.

scsmith42

Nice score!

Re phase converters, stay away from static.  Go with either a rotary phase converter (RPC) or a Phase Perfect (very expensive).  Figure out the total HP on your largest machine and then get a converter about 2X the size.  For instance, if your planer is 5 hp with a 1hp feed, then get a 12hp converter.

Since you have multiple machines, if you feed a 3 phase load center with your RPC, you can then wire your equipment to the panel as you normally would and have proper circuit protection. 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Andries

Look at that @trimguy - you didn't even have to post a question, and you're getting suggestions that are better than money can buy.  😆😉😆
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

trimguy

Absolutely right !! Thats part of the reason I really like this forum, everyone is more than willing to help. And always learning something whether it's useful or not . 😃 Thanks.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Tom King

Nice Planer!!!   Did you get the grinder, and jointer for the knife grinder?  If you don't have them, go back and get them.

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

scsmith42

Quote from: Tom King on July 30, 2020, 04:44:07 PM
Nice Planer!!!   Did you get the grinder, and jointer for the knife grinder?  If you don't have them, go back and get them.
^^^ very astute advice from Tom.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

trimguy

I have a piece that goes on the planer that holds the stone. There is a piece of wood in it now. I will try to get pictures this evening and you can tell me if I have all the parts. Thanks for the tip.

firefighter ontheside

Thats a good looking trailer of tools.  A few years ago I found someone selling a bunch of tools for $2000.  There was a really nice 6" Powermatic jointer, but it was one that had extra long beds like an 8" jointer has.  There were 2 table saws, a unisaw and a jet.  There was a jet 18" planer.  There 2 lathes, one an older delta milwaukee and the other a newer Jet.  There was a Jet mortiser.  There were some other smaller tools that I'm forgetting.  I really only wanted the jointer, but he wouldn't separate.  He was selling for a buddy who up and ran off with a new girl and said he wouldn't be back.  I offered 1500 and the guy said he would check with the buddy.  10 minutes later I got a text that he would take it.  It was also in my hometown so off we went with the trailer and loaded up all the tools.  I sold everything but the jointer and made a pretty good profit.  I love that jointer.  I think it is 66" from infeed to outfeed.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

trimguy

Good story. I didn't get that good of a deal, I paid $2000. But I still think I got a really good deal.

This is the only piece that came with it. Is this all or is there more ? Also it has a piece of wood in it. Are the stones hard to find ? @ Tom King  @scsmith42

btulloh

Quote from: trimguy on July 31, 2020, 05:01:30 PMI didn't get that good of a deal, I paid $2000

You got a great deal.  You just didn't steal yours like FFOTS did.  :D

(Just kidding, FFOTS.  It's not stealing when an offer is made and accepted.  Just business.)
HM126

Tom King

That's the jointer.  When you put in new knives, or the ones in it get chunks lost from the cutting edges, you run that across to bring them all down to exactly the same level.  You do that with the cutterhead running, and the crank wheel sends the stone across to do that job. A white grinding stone goes where that wood is.

There is also a small grinder (electric motor with grinding wheel), that fits on that rig on top of the planer.  The grinder sharpens the knives in place.  There is a means to lock the cutterhead, and the grinder is cranked across to do the sharpening.

You want to find that grinder.  The blade sharpening rigs for those planers go for more money than the planer sells for.

Most of those grinders have been misplaced, and they're hard to find.  They go for real money when you can find one. The onboard sharpening rig is worthless without the grinder.

Being able to sharpen straight knives, with them mounted on the planer, is priceless.  With a light touch, you can get quite a number of sharpenings out of a set of knives, without having to take them out of the cutterhead.  Even when the knives get worn down, you can raise them some, and get more life out of them.

You want to find that grinder!!!

Tom King

Since he had a wooden block in the blade jointer, I bet he doesn't have the grinder, and probably used it like that to set new knives. 

It would certainly be worth checking though.  He might have it, and not know what it is.

I think most of the time, when these planers changed hands, the grinder was left sitting at the last seller's.

The bar on top of the planer was a specific length for all the different width planers.  The jointer, and grinder were the same for all of them.

I owned a 16" in the '70's.  I wish I had never sold it, but I was young, and poor then.  I always wanted a 24", but never ran across one I'd buy.

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: btulloh on July 31, 2020, 05:24:17 PM
Quote from: trimguy on July 31, 2020, 05:01:30 PMI didn't get that good of a deal, I paid $2000

You got a great deal.  You just didn't steal yours like FFOTS did.  :D

(Just kidding, FFOTS.  It's not stealing when an offer is made and accepted.  Just business.)

Yeah, I told him i was only interested in the jointer and would he separate.  When he said no, I said I could give 1500 since I could sell the other tools.  I really wasn't expecting him to say yes.

I'd give my right leg for that great big planer and somewhere to house it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

trimguy

He doesn't have the grinder, he said he doesn't ever remember seeing one for it.

kantuckid

My planer blades are easy to change out and having use the mtd. grinders in my school shop, I prefer sending mine out.
 I use a KY saw shop(I don't think I'm allowed to say who here?) for planer blades same as my WM/lennox, etc.,  blade sharpening service. They run a route truck to sawmills over a large regional area and easy to give them my planer blade sets with mill blades-I have several. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

trimguy

He did say that he had sent them out to be sharpened. I can find out where. Are these blades hard to adjust correctly when you put them back on? Just curious, at the moment, I still need to get my three phase converter and my shop wire to run them.

kantuckid

As a former millwright I've done blades using a dial indicator. On my own Taiwan made planer I simply use the small hand held gauge made of cast steel that came with the machine- which holds down each blade to a spec height as you tighten the set screws. Methodically tightening the screws matters. Takes longer to pull the covers than install blades. 

PM me for the place I send all planer & mill blades. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

trimguy

Well, I had another one follow me home.

This is a 37" sander. I guess I need to stop procrastinating about buying a 3 phase converter. Maybe it worked out, the one I need for this is a lot bigger than what I would have bought for the other equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!