iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cleaning plugged chimney.

Started by Joe Hillmann, April 12, 2024, 09:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Hillmann

I have some 6 inch double wall pipe that I assume was on someones outdoor wood boiler that I want to clean up and use.

The problem is two of the sections are completely plugged up, there is no longer a hole in the middle of the pipe, it is COMPLETELY plugged up.

Some of it is sticky and tar-like, some it hard and glass like and some is burned to charcoal.

The problem is I don't know how to go about cleaning it.

I think the hard stuff can just be broken up with hammering.

But I need advice on how to clean of the tar like stuff.  By the looks of it in some places it is 6 inches thick but for the most part is is probably an inch or so thick.

rusticretreater

That stuff is creosote.  Even if you get it unplugged, it will be a fire hazard. 

Sounds to me like that chimney has had its day.  What did you want to use it for?
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

doc henderson

set it on a stove OUTSIDE and get it warmed up.  it will prob. catch fire, so this is not near any trees or buildings.  the question would be, is it worth it?  could try solvents.  the burn method may advance the age and poss. ruin the pipe.  be careful.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

DDW_OR

my 2 cents, all it is worth

use a 1/2 inch metal conduit pipe. make one end have a cutting edge, the other end into a powerful 1/2 inch drill
maybe use a propane torch to heat the pipe
punch holes around the inside of the chimney, then remove the center

then use the propane weed burner to burn the remainder. then scrape and scrape and scrape,,,,,,,

i use the propane weed burner on my Central boilers 750 and 760 HDX.
both to start the fire and later to clean the Furnace.
"let the machines do the work"

Thank You Sponsors!