iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Daily Firewood Picture Thread

Started by mike_belben, May 09, 2021, 11:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Some pics of some of the loads that have been in this spring and summer. I missed some that came in when I wasn't around.  Also a couple of making bundles a couple days ago, refreshing the top roller shaft, pillow blocks, collars and coupler on firewood conveyor,  a pin broke on the Bobcat, the carburetor on the Honda needed cleaning.   It was the first time I've ever actually found the spec of crud causing the problem.   Been busy.  About 80 face cord on the list yet.  When that's done I'm shutting down to get the Kubota diesel set up to power the processor and I'm going to replace the 5.5 Honda on the conveyor with an electric motor.  No more gasoline.

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

I was out this morning on the buggy and cut a cord, split it this afternoon where she lies. Going out in the morning to haul'r in. Needed some more to complete my piles for this winter. Will all be stacked in the drying wind and heat of summer under the porch. Got a woodchuck who likes to hide in the wood pile. Actually 4 of'm at times. :D

Looks like you're getting it done Corley. :)

Jim, your bug looks like a sawfly. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

Well it's finally stacked and life can go on. Turned out I paid for 20 face cords and wound up with over 23 due to his oversized stacks. Just have to put the tarp on.
Firewood 2022 and Mower Arrived From Italy - YouTube
Stinks to have to buy it but you have to do what you must do to keep warm.

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Al_Smith

It took me a couple of hours snaking out

this big wind torn oak limb .Tore a big chunk out of the 100 foot white oak .I had to fight the under brush like a  jungle and cut that heavy pot licker into three pieces to pull it out .Intact it had to be 50 feet long .Counting about half of it I already cut up I'll get over a cord out of that gnarly thing . .

Al_Smith

To recover firewood you have to get creative and use what you have .Often it's easier for me to haul out stuff rather than cut it up where it's at .If it's small enough the Toro zero turn mower works better than the tractor .It's surprising how much they will pull .In the pic is about half of an EAB killed ash that total was about 80 feet tall .Snatch it with a nylon strap that acts like big rubber band and give it the gun .

thecfarm

A mower through my woods!!!!  :o   
There are a few places that you could pick your way through. But you have to have it air lifted up into the woods.  :D

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

I have to bob and weave through mine as a matter of fact .I can crank that zero turn through places the Ferguson would never fit .Then it's a long cable to reach it . That said on that 5 plus acres I just bought the front approx. two acres is like a jungle .Like the song said --places a rabbit couldn't  go. Fact this time of year on most of the 8 acres total of woods the under growth is so thick I can't see the downed ash trees .Have to wait until fall but this year I'm ahead of that game . Evidently the squirrels have worked over time planting hickory and walnut trees .

SwampDonkey

My ground is full of mounds, the mower would sit on one and tilt 360 ways. :D Most of my rocks are embedded in the mud below surface.

We do what we have to to get the wood in. ;D I won't be cutting wood again until October, no heat, no flies and a lot less leaves. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Well it did  say daily so here ya go .Tackled the oak and broke out the big Viking super saw,Husqvarna 2100 CD .Fickle as a teen aged prom queen that one .But if it decides to start after you nearly make love to it that old Swede gets with it .It's been over a  year since I fired it off .A couple of the other orange brand ,038 Mag and 024

. After all that dry ash that oak feels as heavy as lead ,22 inch .Then again I've never been this old before .

SwampDonkey

Like cutting a lot of aspen and then cutting the odd crooked legged white ash for the sake of taking out the trash that won't make a log. Dry ash firewood is a lot heavier than dry aspen when loading up the stove. ;D You'd think white ash had a lot more water in the wood when green since it likes the moister ground, but not wet ground like black ash. Black ash holds a lot of water, and almost as light as aspen when dry. The darn black ash takes a long time to get any size, slowest growing hardwood I ever saw. Bark feels like a bunch of cork. ;)

Al_Smith

I'm pretty sure these were white ash .Were,like in past tense because nary a one is still alive and few dead are still standing .Green it would split easily but dead about like trying to drive an axe through concrete .Not to worry because my DIY splitter will go through any thing no matter what it is .

SwampDonkey

Yeah, I wasn't questioning it. Just comparing for sake of weights. :) Sometimes field edge ash is hard splitting to. Kinda like what roundup does to hard maple, won't kill it, makes it harder. :D That's maple in sprayed plantation. Run a clearing saw in it compared to natural ground and you'll see the difference.

cutterboy

Al, my little zero-turn gets firewood duty too. :D

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Al_Smith

My Toro has larger drive wheels and does good with the deck raised which surprised me .The yard cart I use takes 4 or 5  trips to equal my trailer which holds about 1/2 cord .With all that EAB killed ash much of it does not need split .It's all within 500 feet from my house so it really doesn't take long although I don't hit that hard .I mean after all I am supposed to be retired .Get a yard cart full, unload it then drink coffee and annoy people on the internet then back at it .About every two three days I suppose . Maybe 4-5 hours but come about 4 PM this time of year it's a barley pop on the patio .Maybe several  ;)

cutterboy

Every woodpile tries to fall over...

this one was successful.  >:(
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

beenthere

The wood stacked against a wall leans, and may eventually fall over, because the outer end of each piece dries faster than the other end, thus shrinks more and is causing the lean. Doesn't take much on each individual split piece, but is accumulative the taller the stack is piled. 

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I always stack so that the front, away from the wall, is slightly elevated and 3 or 4 inches away from the wall or other piles at the bottom where I begin. All it takes is placement of the wood so a few pieces with the thicker end is to the front. Easy solution. ;)

Walnut Beast

mudfarmer

Hot today but going to be worse this weekend and have a delivery scheduled for Sunday to combine it with another task. Have been trying to line up back hauls, no sense driving the pig anywhere empty. Only selling green wood this year split right into the truck! Demand is more than I would want to handle without a processor and bigger truck. With short side boards this mason body holds two face cord.

We went and jumped in the river for a while then I filled the truck from one of the "mini landings"

Sorry about your wood pile cutter   :-\

breederman

So its not just mine? Lol . I just put some props on the end pile that has been there for a year and a half, got my doubts it stays up until fall.
Together we got this !

jimbarry

Corley5

More pics of loads that have come in.  I missed the 20-cord trainload.  He was in when I wasn't.  I've got some stocked now, but it won't last.  Thirty-five face cords on the list to do now and another 50 waiting on them to call when they're ready.  100" is harder to find than I'd like.  Winter's coming.
My fox buddy showed up the other night.  I had the Bobcat shut off a few minutes checking and returning texts when it scampered in and hung out for a bit.  He had a companion by the sugarhouse that never came into the yard.

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Andries

Great photos Corley!
We're busy with firewood these days too. Too many dogs though, so our fox is shy.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Walnut Beast

Great pictures!! That's pretty cool!!

GRANITEstateMP

Good on all you guys getting ahead. I feel like I've been treading water for weeks now. We'll get a few cord done then get a few cord more of orders. I looked at my order list the other day, I'm booked through September. No new customers, no more orders till we get caught up. I felt the stress melt away as I said it! 

I was hoping to get 4 cord one this weekend. Its been super hot, so then I was thinking 3 cord. A buddy got me, the wife, and kid, Patriots practice/inter team scrimmage tickets for Fri night, a great day away for us. We got home late Fri, so we got 2 cord done, but had a good weekend!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Thank You Sponsors!