iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Starting To Build A New Router Sled

Started by 21incher, March 06, 2022, 11:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Started on a new router sled. My old one was just slapped together scrap wood and only good for 4 ft x 10/4.
I need one good for 80 inches x 18 inches x 4 inches. Decided to try cheap Chinese rails and extrusions to keep it light so  I can hang it from the ceiling to store when not in use. Starting out manual but next winter I'll add motors to make it arduino controlled with steppers.
Starting to get some parts together.

Cutting down the cheap 2020 extrusions that will support the board and offer tie down and shim points.

Waiting for some hardware to start assembly.

I am really surprised by how straight and stiff the 2200mm rails are that I got on amazon for under $200.00 with tax delivered. The best is yet to come.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

KirkD

Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

trimguy

Dakota

Dave Rinker

Raider Bill

My Son Wild Bill just made one that does 9'x just over 4ft.
Been fighting a heavy warp in this slab.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

21incher

Wow that sled would  take up my whole shop. Is that a top for an island?
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Raider Bill

aigheadish

Already looking good 21incher!

Raider Bill, I like the design for where the router goes, is that stick a handle to move the router back and forth? 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Raider Bill

Quote from: aigheadish on March 08, 2022, 08:59:49 AM
Already looking good 21incher!

Raider Bill, I like the design for where the router goes, is that stick a handle to move the router back and forth?

Yepper. He just stands there, moves his arm back and forth instead of bending over.

aigheadish

Hmm... Granted, I've only used my sled once but I felt like I really had to hold it down to keep it from jumping around and stuff. Is that not the case? I was surprised with the amount of work it took me to grind off some wood, but it sounds like I may have been overdoing it. I'm also pretty new to routers in general.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Raider Bill

He says the weight of his 2hp router holds it down.
Another cool thing is it's designed to fold in half and lay up against the wall out of the way when not in use.

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Don P

That is essentially all the Lucas planer head is doing. ~9" head with around a 3" max width of cut per pass. Mind wander... Craftsman had a planer head for the radial arm, I'm guessing the spindle was regular 3450 rpm. I'm wondering if it would be faster to use a dedicated motor and planer head combo on the sled?

I got the arduino to talk to a stepper motor with a keypad for inputs last night. My mind is really wandering  :D

Crusarius

That looks awful familiar :) It will work well. I had the same ideas as you, but I am building a very large CNC instead.

(74) Router surface 1 - YouTube

(74) Router sled surfacing spruce slab - YouTube

Crusarius

and just for the record, I thought I would have issues with the router lifting as well. But it did not lift at all.

That was just a cobbed together setup so I could flatten a couple slabs. So the router plate is just a piece of luan slid into the groove on the 8020 extrusion. it is not precision by any means but it left an incredible finish on the slabs.

21incher

Quote from: Don P on March 09, 2022, 08:54:44 AM
That is essentially all the Lucas planer head is doing. ~9" head with around a 3" max width of cut per pass. Mind wander... Craftsman had a planer head for the radial arm, I'm guessing the spindle was regular 3450 rpm. I'm wondering if it would be faster to use a dedicated motor and planer head combo on the sled?

I got the arduino to talk to a stepper motor with a keypad for inputs last night. My mind is really wandering  :D
I had one of those craftsman planer heads. Used it once and put it back in the box. I found it to be dangerous and catchy. I haven't gotten that far with the Arduino. Tried but gave up. I just use GRBL. This is the box I built for another project that I lost interest in. Will eventually use it for this.

Runs 2 small nema 34 steppers that should be enough.

Just a $6.00 arduino clone that I gave up trying to write my own code for.

21incher

Quote from: Crusarius on March 09, 2022, 10:34:20 AM
and just for the record, I thought I would have issues with the router lifting as well. But it did not lift at all.

That was just a cobbed together setup so I could flatten a couple slabs. So the router plate is just a piece of luan slid into the groove on the 8020 extrusion. it is not precision by any means but it left an incredible finish on the slabs.
That looks nice. I am going to stand my X slides up to have better height adjustment and get the ball screw centered. I am trying to keep this light and portable but looks like it will take 2 to move. I decided against going with a spindle and will start with a 2.25 hp router to keep it running on a 15 amp breaker. I built my cnc router to small but looks like it will be a good thing when we pack up and leave NY. How long are your guides? I was looking for 2500mm but went with 2200mm because I was afraid of shipping damage.

21incher

Well haven't had much time to work on it but got the basic frame all assembled and squared up

Came out nice and straight Next I have to machine leveling wedges and slab clamps that will mount on the 2020 rails. Made plastic end caps to retain the t nuts and end stops for the bearing blocks on the CNC router. Can't believe how soft the shafts are for drilling and tapping. O well they should work for this application but I wouldn't recommend them for a fast cnc machine. You get what you pay for. 

Next week should have time to start machining the X carriage

I think it's going to take longer than I thought but will be a fun project.

Crusarius

My rails are 1200mm If I remember correctly. Cost $83 from ebay when I got them. I did find that you can put them end to end and the bearing makes a seamless transition.

Originally the linear bearings were supposed to be my raise and lower guide for my sawmill build. But I ended up not using them for that.

aigheadish

Those all look great and y'all are much higher class than me... I just went with mdf and no moving parts. 

21incher

Moving along slowly. Don't have to many good hours a day with this darn long term Covid . Started making the cross slide. Decided to go with an air cooled 3 hp 2,2 KW  spindle to keep the noise down so waiting for that to arrive. I know the air cooled ones are a little louder then my cnc water cooled spindle but should still be half the noise of a router. Plus its a pain to remove the big Milwaukee from my table so this will be fun to try. A couple more parts to finish machining and it will be ready for manual cuts. If that works then I will add the motors. Decided to shoot for 6 inch x 18 inch x 7 ft max capability.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: 21incher on March 16, 2022, 07:34:13 PMDecided to shoot for 6 inch x 18 inch x 7 ft max capability.
??? Why so narrow?  Not going to do any table top slabs?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

21incher

Quote from: ljohnsaw on March 16, 2022, 07:48:08 PM
Quote from: 21incher on March 16, 2022, 07:34:13 PMDecided to shoot for 6 inch x 18 inch x 7 ft max capability.
??? Why so narrow?  Not going to do any table top slabs?

That's the max width cut of my saw so anything bigger is waste. Want it just big enough for mantles and small enough to be portable. I don't have room for anything bigger. :o

Crusarius

you sure your not building a full on CNC?

21incher

Quote from: Crusarius on March 16, 2022, 08:20:16 PM
you sure your not building a full on CNC?
No just a simple x y sled with motors to make it easy to use. Going  with a  220 volt spindle because it costs less then another 3 hp router and will make a lot less noise plus dust collection will be easier. Basically a big jointer.  

Thank You Sponsors!