iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How would you drop this tree?

Started by SwingOak, January 15, 2023, 10:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Had a similar sized Hickory with the same problem, but no lean.
It was in the field where I deer hunt, stared at it all season, came to the conclusion that there were better ways to die....
Paid a guy with an excavator to tip it over. He did it cheap as he was clearing a woodlot across the road.

Ed

SwingOak

Quote from: Walnut Beast on January 18, 2023, 10:48:02 PM
Lapp & Hogdaddy  said one of the most important things!! Have a planned escape route!!!! Any little trees in the way or broken branches that you could trip over or hold you up!!!!
It is literally right next to the driveway, so there's a nearly flat, smooth surface immediately nearby with plenty of room to run!

SwingOak

Again, I've decided I'm going to let the tree do it's thing and leave it alone. 
A long time ago, the tree care company I worked for always defined a hazardous tree and anything within range of a target of value, regardless of tree health and direction of lean. it was always a hazard - but health, lean, age, and value of target determined the degree of risk.
This tree is aimed well away from the driveway, with nothing of value in the drop zone. There's a very low chance it would even get a twig in the driveway.
So, I'm going to leave it alone. I just thought this would be a fun topic of discussion, and so far it has!!

so il logger

I rarely give advice but I will say with it being a hickory with that much lean setting a thin 1" hinge as previously stated by another member is not a good idea. Boring in to set such a thin hinge in that pictured tree will almost absolutely pinch you're saw. Then you will be left with what's left of the back holding the whole show up while you figure out what to do next. I do these scenarios different than textbook and I'm not going to put it out on the forum for any homeowner to read and experiment and possibly be hurt or worse. But the widow maker hanging up there is not what I would be worried about. Not on a hickory, I'd just be clear when the brushy end of that broken limb contacts the ground because the trunk end of that limb will possibly spring back or sideways 

Walnut Beast

Quote from: SwingOak on January 20, 2023, 11:30:16 PM
Quote from: Walnut Beast on January 18, 2023, 10:48:02 PM
Lapp & Hogdaddy  said one of the most important things!! Have a planned escape route!!!! Any little trees in the way or broken branches that you could trip over or hold you up!!!!
It is literally right next to the driveway, so there's a nearly flat, smooth surface immediately nearby with plenty of room to run!
How do you not know somebody left a 30 pack of beer for you that you could trip over on your escape route that's not pictured 😂. The idea is have tools and anything you could trip over out of the way

teakwood

then i would stop working and start drinking, call a friend and put some meat on the grill ;D
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Woodfarmer

SwingOak

I've always ranked the chainsaw (and probably a tie with 4wd) as being the 8th wonder of the world. We wouldn't be where we are today without it.

But yeah, it's still a dangerous tool if you are experienced - and extremely dangerous if you're not. 

Rhodemont

I would first hook my tractor winch to the widow maker high up as I could, let out a lot of cable and try to pull it off the tree.  I would probably leave it after that, it i too big for my saws and LT35 mill.  A broken branch like that is not good anywhere near where you or someone else may venture in the future.  I left one kinda like that several years ago and it decided to let go while I was pretty close to the tree.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

SwingOak

Quote from: Rhodemont on January 22, 2023, 08:29:21 AM
I would first hook my tractor winch to the widow maker high up as I could, let out a lot of cable and try to pull it off the tree.
I thought about that. Figured I'd use a throw bag to pull a bull rope up as high as I could get it and try tp pop it loose. It's not hanging by much. If it comes down on its own time, it's not going to hurt anything, so I decided to leave it alone. 

barbender

I've used 3" 12 guage duck loads to bring stuff like that down before, know what's behind it obviously.
Too many irons in the fire

beenthere

The 12 ga worked for me too, and it was a hanging hickory branch. First tried slugs in the 12ga, but worked much better with the turkey loads.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwingOak

When I was a kid, the vegetable farmer I worked for cut down a tree that hung up on some grape vines. Not wanting to cut down every other tree around it, he proceeded to put about a hundred rounds into the tree top with a 12 gauge and finally gave up. The tree was on the ground after the next thunderstorm that came through however, so maybe it did something.

I do have a case of 3-1/2" BB steel goose loads that might do the trick...

barbender

A full choke 12 guage with heavy loads gets stuff done😊
Too many irons in the fire

Rhodemont

That is not the Golden Arches.  A big dead oak I was leaving as a wildlife snag in an area where I had dropped some oaks blew over and took the live red oak with it.  The red is uprooted / Cracked some at the bottom and pinned under the snag at the top.

brianJ

Quote from: Rhodemont on January 23, 2023, 01:05:29 PM
That is not the Golden Arches.  A big dead oak I was leaving as a wildlife snag in an area where I had dropped some oaks blew over and took the live red oak with it.  The red is uprooted / Cracked some at the bottom and pinned under the snag at the top.

R U cutting this for firewood?

Rhodemont

The snag is too far gone to bother with.  The arch could be fire wood but maybe I will laugh and enjoy it as it is for now.

Thank You Sponsors!