iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Searching Archives

Started by Dave_Fullmer, January 14, 2004, 07:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave_Fullmer

I tried to search for some pics of the mill I started to build last spring and can't seem to find the thread at all.  How do I find it?  

I had an incredibly busy year and got bogged down completing the mill but now that I am back in the swing of things, I want to update my progress.  I would think it would be helpful to keep it on the same thread like Mark did with his Norwood.  

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
If it aint Orange (AC that is) it won't run.

Buzz-sawyer

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Dave_Fullmer

Thanks Buzz,

That's the one.  But how did you find it?  I tried to search by the subject  as a phrase for 365 days but it came up "no matches".  Can I just put in the link and then post a reply or do I have to do something else?  I tried to save the link, but evidently the 'puter wants to save it as the Forestry Forum.  

Tell you what, life was so much simpler in the DOS days.  I could do anything with the computer and every body in my town thought I was a genius.  Now I'm a has been dummy. :( :( :(

Buzz-sawyer

It was simple I just clicked on your name and then your info page came up then clicked on show all of this members posts..... so wheres the new pics!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Jeff

Just click on the link and post a reply, It will bring it right back to the top of the list.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Dave, another method to find your own posts is to go to your profile, and select view all posts.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave_Fullmer

Buzz,
I looked all over the forum trying to find information how to do this but failed to scroll down on my  profile to even see the view request.  :o :o

I rmember back in school sometimes when teach would give us a snap quiz.  One time he handed us a quiz because the spring day was so beautiful that half the class had skipped to go to the lake.  The first statement on the quiz was "Read all questions before answering any question".  At the bottom of the 2 page quiz it said "Don't answer any question, Sign you name and turn it the quiz".  You would be surprised at how many started right in writing down answers.  

Buzz, don't get too anxious.  I changed my plans and have given up on my saw head building for now because of design problems.  I ordered a mill head from Burg Sawmills that will cut up to a 42 in dia log.  Bigger than anything I want to do, but will give me the capabilities to expand and put on hydraulics, etc in the future.  It should arrive any day.  The deck is finished and painted.  Just as soon as it comes, I'll take the pictures and try to get them posted.  

I also am in the process of building a new pole barn to protect me while I am sawing.  This will hold the mill and the used resaw I bought.  It's 20 by 40 with 12 foot high ceiling.  I'll try to take some pics as I progress on that also.

Dave

Buzz-sawyer

Hey Dave...sounds like you gotta buisiness plan there!...are going to do a lot of sawing?...I am with you on the building of a mill it is not all that hard to add simple hydraulics on as you go ...as far as the 42 incher ...well better too much than not enough....I run into some big ones and have a difficult time even moving them  or getting them on the carriage of my mill....so you may be suprised how often you use the big boy setting!
P.S I have a bunch of ac tractors too
here is my mill
https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=sawmill;action=display;num=1057247948;start=
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Dave_Fullmer

Buzz,
I went to your mill link and boy did you bring back some memories.  I like your mill.   My first exposure to sawmills was in '73 when a friend of mine who had a Frick asked me to help him that winter.  I was laid off and he needed some help.  This was when I still lived in Michigan.

His mill was powered by a Buda.  He also had a spare Buda engine also.  His didn't start that quick though.  Some mornings when it was down around 0 to 10 above, we would fill the air compressor tank a couple of times before we could get it started.  And the tank was about 8 foot tall too.

He had a good powered green chain and when he stopped to sharpen the teeth, I would take the old fork lift and reload the green chain.  We could put about a dozen and a half logs on it at a time.  My first job was to tail.  Then when his son got a full time job, I moved up to the edger which also meant I had to keep the board tally.  

What AC's do you have?  Do you restore the old ones or do you just use them?  I just got a lead on a WC forklift built for the apple orchard people but it is way up in Ontario.  Don't know if I want to go that far to get something I have to restore before I can use it in the mill operation or not.

Dave_Fullmer

Buzz,
I forgot to answer your question.  I plan to do a fair amout of sawing.  I have 30 A of timber that needs managing.  What that means is that I have a lot of culling to do on Sweet Gum and Hickory to let the crop trees grow right.  I plan to cut some cross ties and pallet material.  

This area of W Tenn also has a lot of logging activity and like most everywhere, they top grade the woods and leave a mess.  Last fall, just 1/2 mile away the loggers left a bunch already in a pile.  It was less than a full semi load so they stopped at my place while I had a WM friend sawing for me and told me I could have them.  That pile plus more trees they had fallen, topped, and left in the woods amounted to about 3000 BF.  The owner was happy to give me permission to take what I could use.  I am still over there cutting firewood and bringing home an occaisional short log I can turn into pallet material.  I can sell all the pallet material I can cut to a pallet shop about 8 miles away.  This guy just bought a new Brewco resaw.  I ran the conduit and wired it up and bought his old resaw.

Buzz-sawyer

QuoteBuzz,
I went to your mill link and boy did you bring back some memories.  I like your mill.   My first exposure to sawmills was in '73 when a friend of mine who had a Frick asked me to help him that winter.  I was laid off and he needed some help.  This was when I still lived in Michigan.

His mill was powered by a Buda.  He also had a spare Buda engine also.  His didn't start that quick though.  Some mornings when it was down around 0 to 10 above, we would fill the air compressor tank a couple of times before we could get it started.  And the tank was about 8 foot tall too.

He had a good powered green chain and when he stopped to sharpen the teeth, I would take the old fork lift and reload the green chain.  We could put about a dozen and a half logs on it at a time.  My first job was to tail.  Then when his son got a full time job, I moved up to the edger which also meant I had to keep the board tally.  
I have bunk and an uphill area that I can roll 20 or so logs easily on the mill....

What AC's do you have?
Dave I have wd45, wc, wc, and a bunch of parts, wd has  a factory fork lift on front someone welded a bucket to

Do you restore the old ones or do you just use them?
I have mainly used them but am about ready to trade these off...
 I just got a lead on a WC forklift built for the apple orchard people but it is way up in Ontario.  Don't know if I want to go that far to get something I have to restore before I can use it in the mill operation or not.
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Thank You Sponsors!