iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A slight setback...

Started by Shotgun, September 02, 2013, 05:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotgun

They say growing old ain't for sissies.  I'm 75, and here's an example.

I woke up recently with a rather severe vision problem in my left eye and my wife insisted that I get an  immediate appointment with our ophthalmologist.  I managed to secure a same day appointment. After he examined me, took a bunch of pictures, and gave me several tests, he made an appointment for me to get two MRIs.  I got the MRIs within about 30 hours, commencing at 3:45 am   :).  No tumors, and things looked normal there.  After some more tests, the option was to see a neuro-ophthamologist(N-O), which are relatively few in the U.S.  I asked him to move on getting me an appointment with an N-O.  Within six hours we had scheduled an appointment with an N-O at the University of Michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor, MI (a 4 1/2 hour drive from home) the next morning at 8:45 am. Drove down to Ann Arbor that same evening.

The neuro-ophthalmologist examined me and gave me several more tests and read the MRI, which I had brought with me.  Bottom line, I had suffered a mini-stroke of my optic nerve and only have peripheral vision in that eye at the moment.  My direct vision is lost.  N-O tells me that some of my vision may (?) return over time (6 months), but it will probably never return to my normal vision.

It is what it is. Needless to say this is disappointing, however, life goes on.  My depth perception is pretty much shot.  I play tennis 3 to 4 times a week, year around, and the lack of depth perception in tennis (and other things) is a real problem.  At least it wasn't my predominant eye, and I can still shoot without switching.

I'm going to get prescription safety glasses to protect my remaining eye from external injury.

If you have vision in both eyes, take care of them.  Safety glasses are important around the types of things that we all do, but this shows that even then, trouble can sneak up on you.

Norm

Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Jeff

Let me know if you need a driver when you go to Florida this year Norm. ;) 

Take care of yourself my friend.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

I have prescription safety glasses,with progressive lenses and tinted,I think about $300. My second pair and I like them. No need to put something over them,I'm all set to go. They come with side shields that can be removed when not needed. Glad to it was no worse than that,but still too bad to hear of it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sprucebunny

Sorry to hear that, Norm.
Hope you have some exercises to try and improve your vision.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Magicman

Wow Norm, that is scary stuff.  I was anxious to get to the bottom of your post to find the answer to the question.  You take care my Friend and you know that I am only a click away.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Oh my, that has to be very disconcerting to be able to see clearly only out of one eye.  Kinda like being lopsided.  I hope the next 6 months pan out and you get your vision restored.

When I saw the title to this thread, I was trepidated.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

trepidated,I had to pull the big dictionary out,but I learned a new word. may not be able to pronounce it right,but I know what it means.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

I reckon it really is one day at a time, glad your health is still with you, take care man,  thinking of you, david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ron Scott

Norm,
Let's hope that the vision problem straightens itself out soon. I also agree with what they say about old age. Take care.
~Ron

Shotgun

My thanks for each and every response, and the encouragement they provided.  It's just a bump in the road and I'll either get over it, or get used to it.  A little disconcerting, but still pretty small in the bigger scheme of life.

Thanks again.

Norm

beenthere

Just read this Norm. Hang in there, and great that you are doing well and dealing with it. If it isn't one thing to tolerate, it is another. Sometimes one is just a bit better or worse than the other. Never perfect (although the weather today was pretty darn close to "perfect").
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Left Coast Chris

I have a friend with just one eye.  He is a very good basketball player and we played a lot of intermural ball at lunch time.  He can drain the 3 point shots like anyone's business.  The only set back I can detect is I can get a step on him on his blind eye side.  Amazing how he can drain long shots though. 
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

trapper

Lost my right eye at 5 but haved lived a prety normal (in my opinion) life inspite of it.  Like you say depth perception is gone but you get used to it.  Good luck and enjoyed meeting you at the pig roast.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Shotgun

Thanks 'beenthere', 'Left Coast' and 'trapper'.  I appreciate your comments also.  The high road is my goal, KMc.  I know that I'm not alone with my little problem, and that there are lots of others similarly affected.  I even know a couple. I'll be getting periodic testing to learn if there's any improvement, so I'll know what the changes are, if any.  This type of problem makes recognizing improvement a little subjective, but the testing machine will show any changes.

Thanks again, all.

Norm

doctorb

Sorry to hear about this.  I would try and emphasize prevention of a more damaging stroke.  This would be individualized between you and your Doc.  ????? Baby aspirin, anticoagulation, more aggressive control of blood pressure, heart valve issues, carotid artery examination....... etc.  While nobody want to lose sight, and yours still has a chance of return, make sure you do everyhting to prevent losing something else.  Best of luck to you, Norm.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Roxie

So sorry to learn of your vision problems.  Yes, getting old is not for wimps! 

Take care of yourself, and follow doctors orders. 
Say when

Onthesauk

It may recover Norm.  I had a stroke just 3 years ago.  A couple of months later a little mini stroke took my peripheral vision when I got up in the morning.   A couple of hours later it began to come back and was normal a day later.  It's all a crap shoot.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Shotgun

doctorb - Thanks for the suggestions. I will follow up with my ophthalmologist and my primary care doc.  I appreciate your comments and interest.

Roxie - You're right for sure.  I had a bit of the feeling over the years that I was infallible. This is my comeuppance, I guess.  Thanks for the response.

Onthesauk - Thanks for your reply.  I am hopeful that I will recover.  The more, the better, eh?  A crap shoot, it is for sure.  Glad that you recovered, and thanks for the comment.

Norm

Thank You Sponsors!