iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

clutch drum bearing

Started by jwilly3879, April 02, 2015, 07:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwilly3879

What's the easiest way to remove the bearing from the clutch drum?

Maine logger88

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

jwilly3879

celliott

I believe that's an outboard clutch saw, so you gotta take the clutch off first. If it's like other newer outboard clutch huskys then there should be a slot on the edge of the shoes you can fit a flat punch and drive it off. Stop the piston first. Reverse threads. Or buy a special removal tool.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

old guy

I do this all the time without a piston stop.

bluthum

I assume that outboard clutch is the same as my 55.  I may be the next to the last person to figure this out but I remove the clutch nut with my impact driver [18 V Makita], the same one I use to drive screws with on the day job. I find no need to use a piston stop this way. Before I'd take out the plug and use a length of nylon or polypropylene rope as a piston stop and back the nut off via socket wrench.

Dave Shepard

I second the impact method. Less chance of breaking a piston or getting rope caught in the ports.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

celliott

Yes, the impact will work but if the clutch is like alot of newer husqvarna saws (I'm thinking like my 357, 359, 372) there is no nut built into the clutch that you can fit a socket onto and use an impact. You would need the special clutch removal tool that has fingers that go between the clutch spider. Or knock it off with a screwdriver with the slots on the outer edge of the shoes.

The 55 husky (much different than the 455) does have a nut on the clutch. Pretty sure the 455 does not.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

dgdrls

I think you need one of these?
DGDrls

celliott

That's the idea. Some models take a different one, kind of a pain. Would be much easier if they all had the nut on the clutch. I have one for my 372's\385, because I have a few of those saws. The 357xp takes a different tool. Think a 346xp does as well.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Thank You Sponsors!