iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is anyone concerned about weight with large Harvest table/threshers table

Started by Leegej, April 09, 2017, 07:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leegej

Am currently building a large thresher table. Building it 8' long, 42" wide, and will have a leaf for each end that will be 18-24". Table top is 1" hickory, with a touch of black walnut to dress it up. The legs will be two pedestal style legs made out of 6x6 barn beams, also have a nice looking hand hewn beam that is like to run between the two legs.

Anyways, my concern is how heavy is too heavy? My house is a 100+ yr old farm house, and I'm starting to wonder if I should be concerned about the weight of this table.

sandsawmill14

if your worried about the house supporting it ???   dont :) if you are worried about moving the table well it will be heavy but just get more help  ;D  the house would likely hold 10 times what the table would weigh with no problems as long as there is no termite damage  :) i dont know where you are but if the house is built similar to the ones here in west tn there is pretty much no limit to what the floor will hold i have my great granddads house and we use it for hay storage the main room in the house has no ceiling so we stack all the way to the rafters and that one room holds about 450 50lb square bales we have been using it for about 10 years and the floor is still as good as when we started :)
450x50=22500 lb    i wouldnt even give a 2nd thought to using a table such as that in our old houses :)
the thing most people fail to think of is the people weight it is normally the highest load a house ever withstands  10 200lb guys can stand in a 8'-10' circle talking and cuttin up with no problem and often do around here (the 200lb is being polite and conservative ;) and we're all smiley_dizzy) thats over a ton in a very small area and never have any problems  :)

for the record i am the smallest guy in the bunch at a tiny 196lb ;D :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Leegej

Thanks for the input. That's kind of what I was thinking, house would handle it, maybe watch to make sure the floor doesn't sag I guess. I plan on making it so the top is attached in a way that it is easy to come off for moving. I'm located in central Wisconsin.

sandsawmill14

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

plowboyswr

Now we just need some pictures  of this project!  ;)  You've got the interest perked.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Leegej

Haven't had much time to get in the wood shop, spring is here and things are getting busy on the farm. I tried to post a couple pics of some of my progress, but I'm still learning how the forum works and I guess it doesn't accept photos straight off my phone.

Leegej

Just a couple of pics of the boards I'll be using for the table top, and the hand hewn beam I'd like to incorporate into the frame.

Thank You Sponsors!