2020 7.3 ford

Started by snowstorm, February 05, 2019, 08:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

the new 7.3 will be a gas motor with a 10 sp trans

nativewolf

Quote from: snowstorm on February 05, 2019, 08:24:43 AM
the new 7.3 will be a gas motor with a 10 sp trans
HUH?  WHAT?  I have been looking for 7.3 with low miles (I'd take anything close to 100k) for months.  Nothing I'd want so far but ..umhhh.....the 7.3 was legendary for a diesel.  GAS?  WHAT?
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

T444e is the same engine with and industrial bellhousing.  Busses were retired at 100k all the time. I couldnt give those turds away at the JY.  If a stock powerstroke is all you had in mind anyways its about the same.  The tuner stuff available for PSD does not work on 444e computer.

I hate V8 diesels fwiw. 
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

Quote from: mike_belben on February 05, 2019, 08:50:22 AM
T444e is the same engine with and industrial bellhousing.  Busses were retired at 100k all the time. I couldnt give those turds away at the JY.  If a stock powerstroke is all you had in mind anyways its about the same.  The tuner stuff available for PSD does not work on 444e computer.

I hate V8 diesels fwiw.
Ha, I'm not Mike the mechanic Belben :).  A 7.3 stock diesel would run for 400k or so if you change oil fairly often.  I don't know what a t444e is?  
But out of curiousity since you know I am out of my depth here ...why not a diesel v8?
Liking Walnut

Southside

Just saw a news article on this engine - had photos of the truck too - the duallys have gone back to a two piece rear body / fender flare set up.  $60K + I bet and you will always have a rattle and stain on the body, good going Ford, the 1980's called and want their designer back.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Skeans1

Quote from: nativewolf on February 05, 2019, 09:10:35 AM
Quote from: mike_belben on February 05, 2019, 08:50:22 AM

I hate V8 diesels fwiw.
Ha, I'm not Mike the mechanic Belben :).  A 7.3 stock diesel would run for 400k or so if you change oil fairly often.  I don't know what a t444e is?  
But out of curiousity since you know I am out of my depth here ...why not a diesel v8?
We had two 7.3's in the early 2000's first one had a full top end at 30k, second transmission, rearends and motor all by 80k.

mike_belben

Are we going full hijack?  

Yeah i guess 400k is a pretty fair goal for passenger diesels.  But its gonna be 3 sets of brakes, balljoints, unit bearings,  alternators a few starters, Ac compressor clutch, waterpumps etc to get there.  Like anything else right?  At the price of a new truck its reasonable to want 400k and to dream the motor is gonna be good for it but the rest of the ship just aint that durable.  Any brand.

V8 diesels just dont have the room compared to inline 6.  Youve got two valvetrains, 2 heads and gaskets, a manifold that has to bridge two expanding towers of cylinder head and not leak coolant or boost. Then the exhaust piping.  Ford loved to use very small bolt heads, 12pt or external torx, i dont recall exactly but like a 10mm head for exhaust piping and it'd strip out in the back against the firewall where no other tool could go so u almost had to pull the cab for some of the oh nos that could happen.  Getting the valvecovers off to do glowplugs was a chore.  Getting the turbo off because the pedestal Orings had failed and the entire engine had a lake of motor oil on top was a full nightmare.  The V8 layout just brings a lot of extra fasteners and pipes that I6 didnt have.  If you ever fixed a semi truck youd hate going to a passenger v8 diesel after it. And if you ever fixed a PSD, youd love a i6 layout for the ease of access and reduction of parts.   Im not saying get a dodge cummins, they all have issues.  Just saying i6 is easier typically than v8 of similar emissions generation.   

The 7.3 was made by navistar, first as a 6.9idi the into the 7.3idi the  the 7.3PSD.  Industrially the 7.3 psd is known as the T444e.  Found in buses and medium duty trucks.  I dont know exact differences other than bellhousing on the industrial is an SAE pattern, probably #2.. And that the industrial computer is different than the passenger truck.  But the 444e is very plentiful.  Or was.  We quit trying to sell them eventually.  They went straight into the #1 iron pile.
Praise The Lord

Southside

Well my LBZ Duramax has about 410K on it now, only thing I have done on the motor was the injection pump and head gasket update as it came with the old style and let go at 300K. Brakes yes, but still the OEM wheel bearings, ball joints, etc. I did have to replace the fan clutch once as well. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

I mushroomed a hammer the other day so take it with a grain of salt.  Ymmv

;D
Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

My 7.3L 6speed has 250k on it. Its had 2 clutches, wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rods, brakes, and not much else. Truck has a hard life on the farm and in the woods, tows 20k lbs, and plows snow all winter long. I'm on the hunt for a rust free ext cab body to replace my salt rotted cab.

I'd love to find a clean low mile CCLB 7.3 truck but they are getting rare and when you do they want a mint for them.

nativewolf

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on February 05, 2019, 10:55:38 AM
My 7.3L 6speed has 250k on it. Its had 2 clutches, wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rods, brakes, and not much else. Truck has a hard life on the farm and in the woods, tows 20k lbs, and plows snow all winter long. I'm on the hunt for a rust free ext cab body to replace my salt rotted cab.

I'd love to find a clean low mile CCLB 7.3 truck but they are getting rare and when you do they want a mint for them.
Right...that's what I was looking for.  
Liking Walnut

Roundhouse

Quote from: nativewolf on February 05, 2019, 12:33:37 PM
Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on February 05, 2019, 10:55:38 AM

Right...that's what I was looking for.  
I picked this one up a few years ago, about 170 on it now. I use it as needed for towing, never in winter. I expect it will last me many years at this rate.

Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

BurkettvilleBob

Pretty sure my 94.5 cclb 5spd first gen powerstroke is the best truck that ever left the assembly line. I'll wrestle anyone who says different!

snowstorm

the cutaway of the 7.3 gas looked pretty good. oil cooled pistons roller cam followers roller rockers and spark plugs back where they used to be. i have had several and still have 1 7.3 stroke and they were great in there day. that day has passed. the 6.7 has been around since 11 i have 2 of them a 12 and a new 1. everything if far better. quite.   better fuel mileage way more power and a much better trans. and for the motor everyone loves to hate the 6.0 i have one in a 550 and its really been pretty good

snowstorm

and with the 6.7 you will never have the rusty oil pan issue. cause it would only take 10 min to change it

nativewolf

I wouldn't mind a nice 6.7 either or a new gas but the $$ :(.  I'm saving money for new machines 8) 
Liking Walnut

snowstorm

some of us have to buy stuff or pay the tax man

CarlR

Maybe there's some misunderstanding here?  Seems like they're still selling the 6.7 diesel.

From Car and Driver today (Feb 5):
"Super Duty will now offer two gasoline-powered V-8 engines...  
...standard 6.2-liter V-8, ... unchanged...
...all-new 7.3-liter pushrod V-8 ...variable valve timing, port fuel injection, cross-bolted main bearings, and a forged-steel crankshaft..."

"The...Power Stroke diesel ...  6.7-liter V-8 ... upgraded fuel-injection ... redesigned turbocharger"

Detroit Free Press said about the same.  Carl
Deere 6410 with high tensile twine skidding emerald bored ash...

nativewolf

Quote from: snowstorm on February 05, 2019, 06:09:12 PM
some of us have to buy stuff or pay the tax man
Good on you 8).  I'm not there yet...
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: CarlR on February 05, 2019, 06:36:57 PM
Maybe there's some misunderstanding here?  Seems like they're still selling the 6.7 diesel.

From Car and Driver today (Feb 5):
"Super Duty will now offer two gasoline-powered V-8 engines...  
...standard 6.2-liter V-8, ... unchanged...
...all-new 7.3-liter pushrod V-8 ...variable valve timing, port fuel injection, cross-bolted main bearings, and a forged-steel crankshaft..."

"The...Power Stroke diesel ...  6.7-liter V-8 ... upgraded fuel-injection ... redesigned turbocharger"

Detroit Free Press said about the same.  Carl
Yep, initially I was thinking no more diesel but that's not the case.  The 7.3 gas is supposed to be for average hauling sort of folk.  Seems well intentioned.  We'll see.  I don't buy new products because I'm not mechanically inclined and not really needing any new whiz gadgets.
Liking Walnut

Riwaka

Ford 2020 super duty trucks  (7.3 liter gas - have to look through and see what the gpf etc is, latest Bosch? injectors etc?)
New 2020 Ford Super Duty Gets a More Powerful Diesel AND A NEW 7.3L V8 - YouTube

Kenworth hauling RV trailer (what a few pickup drivers would prefer to have?)
RV Haulers, Smart Car... - YouTube

Cummins diesel into ex-powerstroke Ford 2004.
FUMMINS DIESEL SWAP: 5.9 Cummins in an '04 Ford F350 (Part 1) - YouTube

chevytaHOE5674

I'd rather pay the tax man then buy something I don't need (thus spending thousands to save pennies). If it's something I need (like the new round baler I bought this year) then that's different. Since my old 7.3 truck gets me from a to b without issues replacing it isn't something I need to do.

Also don't like spending money on things that don't provide a return and make me money. Pickup truck doesn't really make me any money (other than hauling hay home). So its last on the list for an upgrade.

nativewolf

Hoping to have the issue this year...lots of things that would make life easier.  First I need 8000 blueberry plants and a new irrigation system.  Then a new retail barn/event place, then a greenhouse...then maybe new SUV for the farm...a model X   ;D.  Thats a long list.
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

83 F250, 86 international, 74 kenworth and a 97 cummins.    Theyre all old junk but theyre all pretty simple too.  I never look at flashing lights telling me i have a problem anymore. 

Well, unless its DOT  ;)
Praise The Lord

snowstorm

Quote from: nativewolf on February 05, 2019, 06:57:11 PM
Hoping to have the issue this year...lots of things that would make life easier.  First I need 8000 blueberry plants and a new irrigation system.  Then a new retail barn/event place, then a greenhouse...then maybe new SUV for the farm...a model X   ;D.  Thats a long list.
dont you know the only place real blueberrys are grown is maine? on the news last summer they interviewed one of the bigger outfits. they were going to harvest 25000 ac so i would assume they own at least 50000. since they harvest every other year. the off year they used to burn the fields now some use fail mowers. when i was in  high school i worked for a blue berry co before it was time to rake we did what they called kill bushing. spray the brush in the fields with herbicide and fuel oil lots of oil. today the fields are just as green as ever 

Thank You Sponsors!