iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

the weather 2020

Started by thecfarm, January 01, 2020, 08:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, we got over 3" out of that storm and one of my culverts floated up a would not pass water, it flooded out all of my mill area except around the mill itself. All my drying racks were islands. When I got it fixed, it took all day to drop the water level a foot or more.

Barely supposed to hit 40 here today, snow flurries right now. Oh well. Time to get at it.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

51cub

Cloudy and windy today, it's about 35 now. Just enough snow to see on the tops of trucks and real cold spots. Pretty good batch of rain over the last few days, but I didn't find a drought map that was updated since before Thanksgiving. Mostly sunny and low to mid 40s tomorrow
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

woodroe

Get the shovels ready, and plows in the Northeast. My 51 JD M has been itching to pop pop.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, that one just missed us, to our south, but you will get it. Just a year ago this past week I had to plow 2 days in a row, I think we had a foot or so.
 We me, the 'winter state of mind' is beginning to take hold. I got up around 5 and in the dark and my semi-sleep state I unconsciously went to the side door by my desk and turn on the floodlight to check the outside thermometer and look at the gerund. I only do that in the winter and it is automatic.
 The bad stuff is coming, but I can wait. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

cutterboy

Well, it's starting.

Central Massachusetts is supposed to get a foot of snow. They said the changeover from rain to snow would take place between 10am and noon. By 8am it was all snow. That is not a good sign. I have all my gas cans filled if we loose power and I have to run my generator for a while. It is supposed to get windy this afternoon with heavy wet snow... not a good situation. Looks like I'll be working in the barn today.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

SwampDonkey

Expecting to see some by Sunday, predict up to 13". It's going to be wet up here to, says will be in low 30's. Had a light dusting overnight here.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Feeding up before the pending storm. Under the beech, however I think he is picking spruce or boxelder seeds.

51cub

Heavy wet snow now. Don't know what to expect. I've gotten 5 different forecasts from 2 different outlets. The only thing any of them agree on is it's a low confidence forecast because the storm can still do anything. The only thing I got to look for is a power outage or, if I decide to plow it, that I don't tear up the not yet frozen driveway
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

woodroe

Very heavy wet snow here. Birch tree tops were touching the ground after only a few inches of snow.
Lights been blinking, preparing for power outage.

SwampDonkey

6 inches of very wet heavy snow so far, barely freezing. Ground is soft. Still coming down.

woodroe

Its over here with 8" of white superglue coating everything. Trees down in the woods, across
the driveway, what a mess.
Good news is we only lost power for a 1/2 hr but there was a whole lot
of lights blinking on and off all night.
Others not so fortunate on the power on front though, 100s of thousands w/o power across the state.

51cub

27 and cloudy, a little wind. Ended up with only a couplathree inches of snow. All froze stiff now after the temperature drop. No real power outages around here but 10s of thousands around the state

SwampDonkey

Still snowing here, but has not added much since this morning. We lost power for 2 hrs, but had generator power. Never missed a beat. ;D

SwampDonkey

Been dark days here for a few, have not seen the sun since before the 10" snow storm. Been steady temps in the 20's, around 25F. Not too bad. Would like to see some sun though. :D

thecfarm

I just got power back after the storm on Saturday. Cost money to run a generator.  :(  Seem like the next town over and the town I live in was without power. Maybe more too, but in my little world that's all I saw. Speaking of seeing, lots of trees broke off too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

51cub

Cloudy and 20 when I left the yard.  Just enough snow overnight to show on the cars. Supposed to stay cloudy and maybe some snow this afternoon. Temperature isn't going to go very far

woodroe

Quote from: thecfarm on December 08, 2020, 09:37:21 PM
I just got power back after the storm on Saturday. Cost money to run a generator.  :(  Seem like the next town over and the town I live in was without power. Maybe more too, but in my little world that's all I saw. Speaking of seeing, lots of trees broke off too.
I noticed you were AWOL, that explains it. I think we all got screwed when Central Spain Power took over.
Anyhow got the sled and chainsaw out and cut my way through some woods trails Monday then
took the wife for a x-c ski through it.
"Looks like a bomb went off " was her words.
Firs and White Spruce took a hit, lost a couple real nice Spruce and a bunch of firs. Some trees were broke off
and others uprooted due to wet soil.  Pines.... didn't lose a one.
Down to 12* F this morn.

cutterboy

17* at 5am now up to 20* Slightly warmer air coming from the southwest. We could get a dusting of snow around noon. Saturday's storm left us with 6" of heavy heavy wet snow which froze up Sunday. My driveway is a mess, the plow guy couldn't do much with it. We never lost power but they did just up the street. I have been able to drive my tractor in the fields. I've been cutting firewood along the edge of one of the fields.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Vautour

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 08, 2020, 06:49:42 PM
Been dark days here for a few, have not seen the sun since before the 10" snow storm. Been steady temps in the 20's, around 25F. Not too bad. Would like to see some sun though. :D
Here on the south east coast New Brunswick the grass is still green... 10'' of snow :o... 

the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

farmfromkansas

Weather has been great here in Kansas lately, 60's yesterday afternoon, but a storm coming in tonight, is supposed to last several days.  We were so dry the wheat would not come up after cutting soybeans, got about 3/8" rain after first of November, finally got 1.6 inches of rain in later November, could see wheat coming up down the rows the morning after the rain.  Still spots where wheat has not emerged, but mine looks pretty fair.  Heifers are calfing, have 5 in pen with little babies this morning, one will not take calf, so using squeeze chute to feed the baby. That calf is robbing off the others, does not know which one is it's mother.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

thecfarm

Not much for sun here, but it is above freezing at 36°.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Still around 25F here, and a little peak of sun just now from the west. Road is a sheet of ice, half plowed and next to no sand. And was from the storm a few days ago, no sun to melt it off until just now.

SwampDonkey

Figured you musta been in a  hard spot for a couple days down there on the southern end of Maine. Generator is handy, but a hard way to make a living.

Sun lasted about 15 minuets. ;)

thecfarm

There was 1000's without power. Did not really mean to say maybe more without power, I knew there was more. Power company has a outage report by county and by towns than by roads. Than they show a estimate of when each will get power. Most times seem like it's one time and than every 6 hours 4 more get added to it.
I work about 20 minutes away. All was fine on the way home until about ½ way home. The snow was pulling all the trees over. A state road and it was not plowed. The back roads I turned onto was plowed. I live on a dead end dirt road and the snow plow had stopped on the first hill. I think he was clearing a tree out of the road. I waited for the plow to get moving before I got close to it. The snow is still stuck to the side of the trees.

Thank You Sponsors!