iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Birds nest

Started by Jeff, February 21, 2019, 03:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Ya know I've had more comments on my truck I got in the trade than the car, of course the car has not been out a whole lot, and the remarks about how nice the truck is, comes from old men that know typically what old chevy's become in northern Michigan.

I need to get the mustang fixed. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Peter Drouin

I like your truck too. If I come across one or any old car/ truck and have the $$ at the time I'm going to buy it. Going to car shows gave me all kind of ideas on projects.
For open-wheel Hot Rods.
Might be better building Hot Rods and selling them than cutting lumber for a living.
I see what the hand bilt cars/ trucks are going for around here. 
There's is an old guy I met at a show and that what he does one or two a year and gets 30,000 + for them. But, I bet he has 10 to 15.000 into it.
Can't find the help that's not on meth to help at the mill and I'm getting old. A car or two a year with SS I think would be a fun time. With all the baby boomers like me wanting to get a hot rod and they have the $$$ for that. I might get a pice of 401K from them. ;D 
I think that if you put your car and truck up for sale the truck would go first I bet.
And if you had a big block in it you could get more $$ for it. ;) 

So now I look in the farmers' back yard when I go by them, :D cfarm got old stuff at your place? :D :D ;) 

On your car If the smoke goes away after a while running, it's the rubber in the valve seals. If it keeps smoking it's the oil ring on a piston on that side. Just my opinion.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Get an 1954 NAA Ford tractor and a '76 ¾ ton 4wd with a 300 straight 6. That's all I have for old. Not much for power.  Well If you count me.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don P

She thinks my tractor's sexy ;D

Peter Drouin

All I need cfarm is just the tin/ body of a car from 1925 to 1940s. I can buy the rest new.
I can get a new [after markit] steel 32 ford 3 window coop with doors and glass for $10.000. But that's too much to start with. I could get me an old rusted one for $1000. A wire feed welder I have will make it nice again. 
Open-wheel hot rods are easy to work on everything is open to get to. 

This one is nice with a new frame under it. I bet he could get 25.000 for it easy even with a stock motor in it. And the best thing it will never lose $$$ like a new 2019 truck of today that would cost more.
Open-wheel baby,  ;D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Jeff

An update to a stalled topic. I think I've got the Mustang sorted out, but it needs a tuning in the spring. I won't work on engine stuff in the winter. I did change the plugs fir the first time in it. I was told they were new. They probably were, but the wiring and fuel probems killed em. Bad.

Today was artsy fartsy day. It's murky and snowy out and I'm heating my barn this winter so I've been out there a lot. SANCTUARY. :)

Anyhow, not knowing I even wanted this, but when I was looking in that big empty nose with nothing interesting going on, and a sheet of cardboard behind the freezer, I got an idea. Someday I hope to paint the car here, and I'll paint the woodgrain whatever color the car will be. Pewter I'm thinking. It has a geerage paint job now, might as well get another.

I used some rubberhose split up the side for trim. Ive had it in a tote with no idea why I have it, but I knew I had it.

doc henderson

making it your own!   8) 8) 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

smiley_clapping It's winter, we need some sort of project every once in awhile.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peter Drouin

Looks ok, I think it will dam up too much air,. move around, and maybe unhook the hood. More air will be going through the radiator good thing I guess. You will know when you take the Hot Rod out on the road. :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Jeff

It just looks funny when you look at it in pics, but standing next to it it doesn't.  I think the air damming wpuld be a zero issue, because the hood itself closes right down on it. If the cover is a dam, I'd suggest the hood has to be too. It'll look way better painted I think. I may paint it mat black for now. 

mike_belben

Never saw this thread, nice wiring work jeff.  Im late on this one but regarding butt connectors, i was an avionics tech in the marines, "western union" solder splice was all theyd allow on aircraft wire repairs, fwiw.  Its as good as original wire according to uncle sam.  Two tinned stubs, hooked like two chain clevis jaw to jaw, then each stub wrap back around itself in the other direction and melted again.

Your air dam will work well at preventing radiator core bypass, so long as it doesnt lift up and flutter or unlatch or anything.  

Sharp car.  302 or 351?
Praise The Lord

farmfromkansas

Wish you were my neighbor, the 05 F450 I bought and drove home from Colorado has wires hanging, guess the PO just thought he knew more than Ford.  The radio hangs back in the dash, looks like it would fit the hole, but is sunken back in there.  So far at least the old truck runs OK, hauled some cows to the sale a week ago last Wednesday, had to unhook the trailer plug because if you touched the brake pedal the trailer brakes locked up.  Got to get that fixed. In 5th gear, 2500 rpm = between 45 and 50 mph.  Don't use OD unless unhooked from trailer.  Have to get the syncronizer replaced too, slips out of gear when you let off the gas in 5th gear.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Jeff

@mike_belben , here is the link on how I got the car. Trade bonus. It is a 351w originally a 302 car.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=104711.msg1628662#msg1628662

doc henderson

@mike_belben can you show a pic of a western union splice, here or in another thread.  curious.  unless it is "top secret".  I like to solder all my permanent fixes.  we have a dog radio fence, and all the outdoor splices are soldered.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Resonator

QuoteIt just looks funny when you look at it in pics, but standing next to it it doesn't.
Ford did dress up Country Squires and Pintos with woodgrain back in the day...  ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

thecfarm

Western union splice, can't be too FBI   ;D  I found it. Never heard of it before. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

must be an old telegraph wire process.  I will google it.

doc henderson

I have done that, did not know what it was called.  thanks!

Western Union splice - Wikipedia

Jeff

Walnut Beast

Looks pretty slick 👍

Jeff

doc henderson

nice!  looks like it might go faster!   8)

Thank You Sponsors!