iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what to mill out of this stuff

Started by scrout, February 14, 2009, 03:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrout

I have a friend with a woodlot a couple miles away (Oregon) with fir trees he is now thinning.  Trees yield a 32 foot pole, 12 inches butt and 6 inches top.  He has to pull out at least a couple thousand more trees.
Is there anything a guy can make out of these that makes sense?
Nothing on the property yet, but he will eventually build, so at least he needs fence and shed/barn material.
Cants, timber frame beams, or just dimensional?
Terms would probably be very flexible, probably a helathy share.
I am strictly a hobby miller at this point with a homemade bandmill, but i am thinking my 16 yr old could cut all summer.
Would appreciate your collective wisdom.
Thanks.

TinMan

Scrout

Should be able to get some beams (4x6?) on the butt end. some dimensional on the small. Box the heart if you need to. Id go for it. ;D where in Oregon are you? Im in Grants Pass..

Tracy

scrout

Hi Tinman,
Oregon City.
I am following your swingmill thread with great interest, I am dreaming about modding my Linn design carriage to a swingmill....

TinMan

Very cool swinger pics Scrout. I took a few minutes a while ago to view your pics album.. ;D ;D ;D I really like your mill. Does it work well? Your thinking of putting a swinger on your bandmill frame?  8) 8)

Tracy

ErikC

Sounds like good log home building material as is. Or a lot of dimensional lumber will be there, and if you cut appropriate length logs there won't be as much waste from the taper. Fir makes nice lumber for building, about the best there is. On the more knotty top logs a decent post or beam can sometimes be sawn when 2x4's wouldn't be much good. And think of how good your son will be at sawing small logs by next fall. He'll be able to teach a class. :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Meadows Miller

Gday

Scrout Get the Boy on the Job He'll be a Man by the end of summer Mate  ;) :D ;D ;) Thats A fair whack of logs you have access to there about  ??? :P  425000 bft so at 50% recovery  thats  212500 bft of sawn timber by my reckoning  ;) ;D

If the young blokes keen to have a crack lett him loose  ;) ;D Like Tman and Erik said it would make nice beams or log building supplys You could even extend the mill and do twin edged or 4 sided logs for dovetail kits  ;) ive done log building since i was 13yo  ;) ;D worst case would b knocking out 4x4" 4x6 through to 6x8" pallet flitchs out of the rough ones and you can knock out abit of timber per day if your just tacking the sides of and tageting the main flitch Ive milled framing 2x4s out of logs down to 6" sed in /fir for years mate ;)  ;D The problem overhere is we dang near cut out all the plantations of it in vic  over the last 18 years :o ::) :( :'( :'(

Good luck with the project and keep us posted Mate

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!