iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reducing drag on Woodmizer LT25 Manual Head Lift

Started by AnthonyW, September 26, 2015, 09:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnthonyW

In another thread I floated the idea of adding a motorized lift to my LT25. Along the way a post was made about determining the torque required to turn the handle. I found the torque required for my lift was really high. So I started checking through the sprockets and bearings to see if any were rough.  All check out fine. The only thing left I can see is the amount of friction in the mast. Does anyone know what it takes to remove the delrin pads and how to clean the mast on a manual lift Woodmizer?
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

MartyParsons

Hello,
I have a barrel brush on 4" grinder. Polish the area where the mast pad rides. I have only replaced one delrin pad assembly and that mill was in a fire, one was completely missing. I used a clamp to hold the mast in place then removed the assembly toward the rear of the mill. I did not remove everything I just loosen the bolts and pried the old pad out and replaced with new pads.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

AnthonyW

I had polished the mast with a wire wheel on an angle grinder and coated with a thin layer of red grease, but it still rusted quickly. Granted I have not tried to remove the pads, but I can't see how they will come out since the bolts seem too long to fit between the head and mast. Or is there something I'm missing?

47sawdust

I'm not sure if the mast on the Lt25 is different than the Lt30/40 but my manual says to coat the mast with ATF and frequently.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Magicman

No grease because it attracts sawdust.  ATF is the recommended lube.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Tony, mayby the pads are adjusted too tight. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

AnthonyW

There seems to be a pretty good gap (maybe too big) between the pads and the mast. Maybe I just need to remove and clean all of the above. Maybe it is just coated with sawdust and grime. Question is can I get the pads out without completely disassembling the saw head and mast.

MartyParsons

Hello,
I would not remove the pads. Clean the grease off. Raise the saw head to the top and adjust so the loose pad is about the thickness of a credit card or two business cards away. Lower the head adjust the lower. I check the adjustment then raise the head to make it easier to work on. Lube with a light coat of ATF. Dextron III
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Thank You Sponsors!