iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky "automatic smart start" -- any good ????

Started by Bobcat_pa, March 18, 2004, 04:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobcat_pa

I was traveling today and stopped at Husky dealer on the way home.  Got to pick up and look over a 357xp.  I have been interested in this model to provide me more power when working on something bigger than my 346xp was intended for, and it only weights in at 12.1 .  I noticed the end of the decompression value was replaced with a hose assembly that when back into the cover--"automatic smart start".   How long has this feature been on the mid to larger saws?    Is it reliable ?     Oh,  I know some of you are going to push the 372xp, but I think the 372xp is just a lttle more saw than I can handle safely, unless I put a shorter bar on.   Bob.    

jokers

So far so good but a little too automatic for me until it`s proven a little longer.

Russ

Tom

oldsaw-addict

Its an automatic decompression valve that you never have to touch to start the saw. I would rather have to push the button on it and know its working properly than trust it to work because its automatic. Just my .02 cents
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Corley5

I've used the decompressor on my 395 once or twice since I've had it and have never even touched the one on the 372.  It's been my experience that a saw starts harder if you use them.  An engine needs compression to run.  They will make a recoil last longer though ;D.  One winter I worked in a local mill pulling boards and the guys small saw that we were trimming the piles with broke.  They brought us out a 3120 to fish the job :o ::).  I quickly found that if you didn't use the decompressor the saw would start with less pulls.  It was trade off more easy pulls on the recoil of a big saw or less harder pulls.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Woodhog

I have been using a 357 XP all winter cutting spruce logs, it has the auto compression feature you mentioned...

I have problems with my elbow (and most other joints) and this
feature really works nice..
The saw pulls so easy, just a slight snap and away she goes.

I find it is a real fast limbing saw, all winter it has never jammed while limbing.

I would never have another saw without decompression starting at my age, I think it makes for more safe starting as well.

Bobcat_pa

Thanks Woodhog.   I am having righ hand/arm problems and too many pulls  results in a lot of pain.  Sounds like the 357xp will fit in nicely.   BOb

tony_marks

good gosh was every body drinking from the same spring as me. we all got joint, muscle problems. :D

Hunter

The 357 is a strong running saw and pretty light.
I had my decompression valve  switched to the manuel one, cause when the saw was modified, the automatic one would flutter in and out at high rpm's.
EHP ported my 357 and it will outrun a stock 372 hands down. I looked at it as a great investment. Light saw, with lots of power.
Hunter
Jmccomas@insight.rr.com
614-554-2169
Dolmar / Efco / Redmax / Silvey Grinders Sales

TACOMATODD

I know this is an old thread, but is this "automatic decomp" thing still out there. I have not seen, but sounds interesting.
Trying harder everyday

hamish

It was discontinued as it proved to be problematic and led to many air leaks.  A bulletin was put up to disable it and use a conventional decomp valve or just plug the cylinder.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Thank You Sponsors!