iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw Boots, Recommendations....

Started by wfcjr, August 27, 2015, 10:10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfcjr

Not sure if this belongs in this topic area, in General Forestry, or in Health/Safety, but here goes...

Looking for a quality pair of leather chainsaw boots.   Steel or composite toe, and whatever internal lining material that they use to make them "saw proof", or at least to limit the damage.

After years of wearing regular leather hiking boots, I figure it is time to wise up and have proper footgear in addition to my saw chaps.

Any thoughts and recommendations appreciated....

John Mc

I think I remember a thread on this in the health/safety section - they were mostly focused on finding one that was comfortable and durable, but there was some mention of steel toas and other protection.

At one point someone (Labonville) was selling chainsaw protective socks.

I have some of the Jonsered rubber chainsaw boots that have protection on the top of the foot and up the shin. They look  little like stiffer mud boots. Unfortunately, I only wear them when it's wet out (and I need the waterproof feature)... they are not that comfortable to walk in. I always end up with my shins rubbed raw if I've had to do much walking (none of my socks are high enough to act as padding for the boot rim). Like a dummy, I did not buy them big enough to fit an insulating liner inside, so I can't wear them in th ewinter unless the temperature is pretty mild.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Real1shepherd

Real loggin' boots like Wesco....COST, even without caulks.  Madsen's has a variety of boots that cost a little less than Wesco and are decent. I have no idea what you expect to pay? You can also get insulated rubber boots that are caulked with steel toes for way less than the leathers. I used to use them in the winter, but it needs to be COLD, 'cause they are really hot to wear.

Kevin

wfcjr

Quote from: Real1shepherd on August 27, 2015, 02:34:30 PM
Real loggin' boots like Wesco....COST, even without caulks.  I have no idea what you expect to pay? You can also get insulated rubber boots that are caulked with steel toes for way less than the leathers. .
Kevin

Prefer leather over rubber.  Only wear rubber boots in downpours.

I expect to pay less that it would cost for a trip to the emergency room and/or a prosthetic foot!

Understand that good gear is not inexpensive.

Thanks,

HolmenTree

Real logging boots in lace up design should be at least 8 inch high in the uppers for ankle support and have steel toe caps for crush and cut protection.
Composite  protective  toe caps offer as much cut protection as a piece of wood.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

barbender

wfcjr, I can't really offer any advice, I'm on the same hunt as you. Someone mentioned Labonville for protective socks, I believe they make actual leather chainsaw boots as well. I've read discussions about them on here before. One of the local saw shops has Husqvarna branded saw boots, I don't know if they are old stock because I have not seen them anywhere else, online included. They are a made in the U.S.A. boot, look to be excellent quality. If they were Gore-tex lined I'd be wearing a pair.
Too many irons in the fire

ZeroJunk

I bought some Georgia Boot loggers on sale for less than $100. No, they aren't Wescos or Whites but they have steel toes and offer more protection than regular work boots. So, you just need to decide whether your level of use justifies paying 4 or 5 hundred bucks for a pair of boots.

Interestingly, most of the tree service guys that I do work for don't wear logger boots often. Just some steel toe work boots.

DaveP

Redwing makes a good 8" steel toe leather boot and, its is made in the USA.

Davep

John Mc

I don't know if it's necessarily true, but I've heard that Steel toed work boots may not be the best choice if that's the only place that has protection. The theory behind that was that the chain will just slide along the steel until it drops off the back of the steel toe, cutting in to the top of your foot. The claim was that what might have been just losing a toe or two if the saw clipped a plain hiking boot was now destroying your foot. There were some gruesome photos to support this (one of those pictures you wish you could "un-see" once you've looked at it).

I'm curious if anyone else has heard this, and what they think of that claim. I never knew whether to believe it, or file it with the same story about a guy who never wears a seatbelt, because his cousin's first wife's uncle once survived a car crash by being thrown clear, and would have been crushed in the car had he been wearing a seat belt.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

That's funny John :D
The most common chainsaw cut to the foot is on the toe cap of the left hand boot, when limbing , bucking etc. Thankfully for over 40 years I have wore steel toe boots, I've nicked a quite a few of them. Then after a few months of wear a big hole will appear over the shiny steel cap as the leather wears away. I never saw or had a chain skid across the steel cap.

There are many steel toe logging and arborist boots available with built in Kevlar layers included. I wear a leather pair of Haix Volt boots with steel toe ,Kevlar and GoreTex.
Beautiful boots very comfortable even in 90 degree weather but not cheap.
B.C forestry standards call for mandatory steel toe.  You will see a little green Christmas tree logo on a certified forestry boot.

John Mc

Thanks, HolmenTree. I guess that story I heard goes in the "safer to not wear a seatbelt" file.

In his defense, the guy who made this argument wasn't really arguing against steel toes, he was arguing for more protection than JUST steel toes.

Those boots sound nice. Are they also OK in colder weather? I'd love to find a place that has a variety to try on, so I could compare the fit. I should wear my rubber chainsaw boot more, but they are just too uncomfortable. The fit is not great, they make my feet sweat too much when it's warm out, and are not warm enough in the cold weather.

HolmenTree

John get the Stihl or Husqvarna rubber bottom with leather upper boots. They have Kevlar a and steel toe . Order one size larger to take felt liners for the winter.
Normal size for spring fall

HolmenTree

To add to last post. Wear Bama socks in them for spring fall (air conditioning) for the rubber bottoms.

Real1shepherd

Madsen's catalog is online, but you still have to order with them on the phone. They start with Wesco and go down the chain in price. They have all sorts of combinations and you'll pay near $300 for decent boots. I like the idea of Kevlar layers, but as HT said, when you slice yourself, it's usually on the top of your left boot as you limb and buck. Never had the chain 'skate' and do damage elsewhere than the steel tip. I'm not gonna say it's not possible, just not in my personal experience.

Kevin

John Mc

Quote from: HolmenTree on August 28, 2015, 12:28:28 PM
...Wear Bama socks in them for spring fall (air conditioning) for the rubber bottoms.

Bama socks?

HolmenTree

Skidder Kev

Bama is  a booty.  It wicks the sweat away from your feet keeping them dry.   I wear them in my viking rubber boots with leather uppers. 

John Mc

Thanks, HolmenTree.

There was an error in the link: should be ".com" not "-com" but I figured it out.

HolmenTree

Quote from: HolmenTree on August 28, 2015, 05:11:33 PM
http://www.gear-up.com/products/view/bama-socks-for-rubber-boots
There I got it fixed. My family and I were out on the lake with our pontoon boat. We anchored for the kids to swim. Had some time to check the site, Googled  Bama socks, had no pen but my wife had lip stick in here purse..............

Real1shepherd

I honestly don't know if that would work better than say REI's Moreno blend expedition socks. I wear these socks all yr around at work. Contrary to what most believe, you can wear quality wool blends socks in hot weather, they wick sweat well and your body regulates to the wool being on in the summer. I wear them for the padding in the warm months and the insulation in the winter. Like with anything wool, keep it CLEAN.

Kevin

teakwood

wfcjr: I think they dont get you. You want a chainsawsafety boot who is not rubber.
They are not very common in the us i think, more in europe. Stihl sells several of them in Europe, 4-5 models leather boots and also rubber boots with chainsaw protection. they are around 250-500$, not cheap but cheaper then a cut.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

teakwood

If you like the european style of safety buy some chainsaw pants from pfanner
http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=8010

You will never wear chaps again in you life, especially when its hot.

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

beenthere

HT
QuoteGoogled  Bama socks, had no pen but my wife had lip stick in here purse..............

THAT note would make a good pic to post...  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

HolmenTree

I wear wool too . Ipaca (spelling is off lama from South America )wool is the best but takes longer to dry.
Good for our cold Canadian climate.
But you can't  beat the Bama sock  (you wear wool socks inside of them) Us loggers up here have been wearing them since the 1970s. They originally came out of Austria and who makes a better product then them guys.
Give them a try.....you'll thank me.

HolmenTree

Quote from: beenthere on August 28, 2015, 10:06:16 PM
HT
QuoteGoogled  Bama socks, had no pen but my wife had lip stick in here purse..............

THAT note would make a good pic to post...  ;D
Haha I wrote it on the back of a grocery till slip ..Not very readable

Thank You Sponsors!